Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 09:11 PM

52 posts, read 117,417 times

Advertisements

Where are some good placed to live near Hobbs? My dad lives there so I wanna be close but doesnt have to be in Hobbs. What is the job market like? How bad are the scorpians down there? I have heard alot about them and I am not so sure about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
you could look into Lovington, NM or Seminole,TX both within about 30 mins and are small towns,smaller than Hobbs, if you want something bigger you could try Midland/Odessa, I dont think you will have a problem with scorpions, you could probably go years without seeing one, but they are there.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM

Yeah my fiance wont move to Texas at all. He says he will be to close as it is lol. What about Portales? Carlsbad? How are those places?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosd View Post
Yeah my fiance wont move to Texas at all. He says he will be to close as it is lol. What about Portales? Carlsbad? How are those places?

Carlsbad is really hot but other than that I dont know much about it, and Im from Portales and I can tell you that its way better than Hobbs, but its smaller. Portales is about 1 1/2- 2 hours away.

what are you looking for in a town?

Old 12-08-2009, 08:18 AM

We are really just looking for a town that doesnt have a lot of crime. Is family oriented. I want to be able to raise my kids (when we have them). A town with stuff to do. We currently live in a town in South Dakota that has less than 5,000 so size isnt that big of an issue. I know we were looking at Portales and saw some nice inexpensive homes. Also need a town that has good jobs or we dont have to travel to far to have a decent job. I am in health care and my finace currently works for kmart but has his micanic degree.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosd View Post
We are really just looking for a town that doesnt have a lot of crime. Is family oriented. I want to be able to raise my kids (when we have them). A town with stuff to do. We currently live in a town in South Dakota that has less than 5,000 so size isnt that big of an issue. I know we were looking at Portales and saw some nice inexpensive homes. Also need a town that has good jobs or we dont have to travel to far to have a decent job. I am in health care and my finace currently works for kmart but has his micanic degree.

sounds like Portales(pop.11,000) might be a good fit, not much to do and not too many jobs to choose from, but that comes with a small town. It does offer a family community. Portales is a small university town but it still dosent have much, but its a good place to raise a family. I liked living there.

Clovis(pop.33,000) offers more and has more jobs, its 20 minutes north of Portales. Im sure yall could find a job in your line of work.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 AM

Thanks for you help. We are going to come down next month and visit my family and going to look around to see what we can find and what we think.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 AM

471 posts, read 977,555 times
Used to live in Lovington, worked in Hobbs, the idea situation. Hobbs is one straight shot down from Lovington, Hobbs has every major chain or big box store I can think of, everything a bigger city has, it's in Hobbs. Jobs easier to find too. Lovington is still the place where not much happens, but a quiet place with great small town atsmosphere. I have been trying to move back to Lovington for years, someday I will convince my wife!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks! I noticed Hobbs has more assisted living homes and stuff that I am used to working for. I would love to be that close to my dad since I have not lived with him or near him pretty much all my life. Does anyone know of companies that hosts homes for developmental disabilities?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I don't know about career opportunities in Hobbs. Carlsbad has CARC for persons with special needs. CARC, Inc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico