Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,301,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson1989 View Post
Does anyone know when crossing into Palomas, how strict mexican customs officials are? I am bringing a tv, dvd, tools, i pad and patio furniture and bikes. Any problems i might encounter early in the morning on a holiday at 6am?
I've walked in and they don't even talk to you, just walk on by. Can't say what happens when you drive. You're likely to get more trouble coming back in than leaving the US, assuming you are a US citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy234 View Post
Any Current (2012-13) information about Palomas,Chi, MX I would Appreciate . User reviews / info on Dentists besides Fierro, stores /commerce besides "Pink". Personal experiences R/T Hotels, taxis,police,personal safety concerns, communicating with town folks ,spending a few days there /a week .
Any thing else pertinent to the place,to look for and to look out for. No sensational years -old newspaper clippings ,please .
Say ,does Palomas have a phone book (YPg) ,or a newspaper ?
Thanks to all -if any
T
I've been to American Dental in Palomas. It's a one block walk. I had a crown made last March for $225, saving at least $800. So far so good. I figure it has paid for itself already, even if it broke tomorrow.

The facilities are somewhat spartan compared to US but spotless. I was extremely nervous about it all having never been to Mexico and having heard all the stories, and when I met the very young looking dentist I almost left in fear. As soon as she put her hands in my mouth I could tell she was very skilled and experienced, and she did a great job. I intend to go back this year for a bridge. I'm still hesitant about having work like root canals done there, but I know other people who have had root canals and such and all have been pretty pleased.

I wasn't tempted to walk very far into the town, as it is kind of dirty with some abandoned buildings and such. But all the best clinics are in the first few blocks. Fierro clinic will pick you up at the border I hear, but its only about a 2-3 block walk. You may encounter street vendors that approach you hawking hats and sunglasses and such, but they were polite and a simple "Gracias, no" sent them elsewhere. I don't know why you'd want to spend several days a week there, but for daylight trips into the first few blocks I wouldn't worry much. But I'd still exercise common sense and caution, staying out of bars and back alleys unless you're really looking for adventure.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,170,452 times
Quote:
Does anyone know when crossing into Palomas, how strict mexican customs officials are? I am bringing a tv, dvd, tools, i pad and patio furniture and bikes. Any problems i might encounter early in the morning on a holiday at 6am?
Appears that your question has not been answered. You don't say why you're entering Mexico with those possessions, but if you're traveling beyond the "FREE ZONE" you'll need to know a few things and can find answers to most questions here:

http://www.mexperience.com/guide/essentials/mexico-entry-requirements.php

Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 PM

4 posts, read 11,210 times
Default I reside there down by Guadalajara

I have never had a problem driving before, but, never brought a lot of stuff either.

My Mexican girlfriend is meeting me at the border and will drive the vehicle which is Mexican plated. Should be fine.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM

Crossing into Palomas, is there any customs inspections, or can I just drive straight to Ciudad Juarez Airport without any police/military stops?

Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 PM

Does anyone know if there is any inspections crossing into Palomas by vehicle? Customs/military or police?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Crossing into Palomas, is there any customs inspections, or can I just drive straight to Ciudad Juarez Airport without any police/military stops?
Don't know what your reason for traveling to the airport from Palomas is, but a much quicker route would be to stay on the US side and cross over at the bridge/port of entry closest to the airport. It's known locally as the "Zaragoza Bridge." The new border highway (TX-355) affords an easier access with less traffic than IH-10.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
The new border highway (TX-355) affords an easier access with less traffic than IH-10.
That's a typo - should read TX-375 (Cesar Chavez Border Hiway).

Port of entry is shown on Google Maps as El Paso/Ysleta Port of Entry. Ysleta is on the U.S. side and Zaragoza Rd. intersects TX-375 and crosses over the bridge to the community of Zaragoza on the Mexican side.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Um...yeah, pretty sure you will be stopped/questioned at the border if you are driving. I think that's what those Mexican guys in uniforms do anyway. Don't know about other stops on the way...

Old 03-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Has anybody been to Puerto Palomas, Mexico lately? Is it safe and far enough away to not be affected to much by the violence in Juarez? Anything of interest there? I've heard about the Pink Store.

Second, is it worth the trip to go down there to visit Farmacia Express? This would not be for dope, but legitemate medications. Are there substantial savings? Any confusion on brands and dosage amounts available? Just wondering if its worth the trip for somebody without health insurance to stock up a 3 month supply of meds from there.

With cartel violence on the rise again in Juarez (nothing against tourists that I'm aware of) I thought I'd revive this thread. I'm planning on going to Palomas a number of times over the next 6 weeks. My understanding is things are still pretty quiet there. Lets hope it stays that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico