Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:39 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,286,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amagar View Post
The rate of exchange most places in Palomas is 17 pesos to the dollar . Take ur calculator with u so u won't get cheated. Me and some of my siblings go about once a week . We make it an afternoon outing, we drive over and go to a restaurant about 3 blocks from the border . There's a bread store and a couple of restaurant and a store .awe have a cousin that lives over there so he takes us to all the neat out of the way stores and shops . It's a lot cheaper once u go in a few blocks in .
I've never been comfortable going more than a few blocks in. I got as far as Fierro's and knowing the history there was enough to turn me around. It was already getting pretty bleak and desolate looking.

But you don't have to go far to find deals. After they ran out of my rum at the Pink Store I went to the liquor store across the street and found it for several dollars less. But nobody spoke English in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,244 times
Unhappy Palomas Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Has anybody been to Puerto Palomas, Mexico lately? Is it safe and far enough away to not be affected to much by the violence in Juarez? Anything of interest there? I've heard about the Pink Store.

Second, is it worth the trip to go down there to visit Farmacia Express? This would not be for dope, but legitemate medications. Are there substantial savings? Any confusion on brands and dosage amounts available? Just wondering if its worth the trip for somebody without health insurance to stock up a 3 month supply of meds from there.
Just checked the site for crime in Mexico (1/28/19). Level 1 is no problem; level 2 is use caution; level 3 is revise your travel plans due to increased violence and level 4 is DO NOT TRAVEL THERE!!! Palomas is currently at level 3. We went there right before Christmas and all seemed fine to us. Of course, we only went to the Pink Store, the Farmacia Express and walked by both the eye doc and dentist in the same "mall". We NEVER travel any further into the town than that one block (which is two blocks from the border). However, we did notice that for the Christmas season, there really weren't that many tourists/snowbirds in the Pink Store area which made us wonder "what is going on"? So, we suggest that if you have to go to the dentist/eye doc/Pink Store/Farmacia use extreme caution and don't go looking like you are rich! Leave the diamonds at home folks!!!

Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,717 times
Default A very nice little town.

Of course there is crime but I have never seen any. I think people get nervous when they don't understand the language and don't know what is being said. It is a poor, working class town so you won't see many suits and there are many vendors (and some beggars but they try to keep them at a minimum) along the main street, all friendly, just doing their thing.

It is definitely worth the trip for dental, optical, and pharmacy needs. I have not tried their doctors and would want a recommendation, as I do here. I have been to a couple of different pharmacies and had no problem. Drugs that require an Rx in the US may require that Rx to bring back. They have an optical lab in town so your glasses will be ready in a couple of hours while you enjoy one of their restaurants. The Pink Store, a large pink building 2 blocks south of the border, has just remodeled, has an excellent cook, and gives you a free margarita while browsing their wares. There are no amusement parks that I know of. I have not tried any of their local bars, though I have heard the sound of pool balls mixed with the music. Ha. Also we usually go down with friends in one car.

There are groups that schedule regular trips from Silver City that you could join.

For dentists, I hear very good reports for Dr Lam. She used to practice in The States some too but gave that up. She does prefer you make an appointment. The Fierro Clinic gets mixed reviews since the loss of Dr Fierro. I go to Family Dental (the first right after crossing with a large sign across the top of the building) to see Dr Ricardo Salazar - the office at the North end. It is all walk in and they accept cash or check. I don't think they do credit cards but not sure.

Bottom line, you are probably safer in Palomas during the day than in most big cities in the US. Learn the words: Donde esta el baño? and Ayuda!

Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimbresgranny View Post
Of course there is crime but I have never seen any. I think people get nervous when they don't understand the language and don't know what is being said. It is a poor, working class town so you won't see many suits and there are many vendors (and some beggars but they try to keep them at a minimum) along the main street, all friendly, just doing their thing.

It is definitely worth the trip for dental, optical, and pharmacy needs. I have not tried their doctors and would want a recommendation, as I do here. I have been to a couple of different pharmacies and had no problem. Drugs that require an Rx in the US may require that Rx to bring back. They have an optical lab in town so your glasses will be ready in a couple of hours while you enjoy one of their restaurants. The Pink Store, a large pink building 2 blocks south of the border, has just remodeled, has an excellent cook, and gives you a free margarita while browsing their wares. There are no amusement parks that I know of. I have not tried any of their local bars, though I have heard the sound of pool balls mixed with the music. Ha. Also we usually go down with friends in one car.

There are groups that schedule regular trips from Silver City that you could join.

For dentists, I hear very good reports for Dr Lam. She used to practice in The States some too but gave that up. She does prefer you make an appointment. The Fierro Clinic gets mixed reviews since the loss of Dr Fierro. I go to Family Dental (the first right after crossing with a large sign across the top of the building) to see Dr Ricardo Salazar - the office at the North end. It is all walk in and they accept cash or check. I don't think they do credit cards but not sure.

All very reasonable statements and observations.

Quote:
Bottom line, you are probably safer in Palomas during the day than in most big cities in the US. Learn the words: Donde esta el baño? and Ayuda!

This one is a bit out there, and probably has little basis in fact. Palomas only has a population of 5000, so you really can't compare it to American cities with their host of large-population problems. I can't think of any American cities of comparable size that don't feel as safe or safer than Palomas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico