Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,130,740 times

Advertisements

We have to Palomas 4 or 5 times in the past year.
As others have indicated the clinics, pharmacies, and the famous Pink Store are all within 2 blocks from the border.
We haven't had any problems at all.
The people at the Pink Store are great, and they have a very good restaurant there.
The pharmacy prices compared to the ridiculous prices in U.S. are amazingly low.
They have competent dentists and are also priced very low.
We make it a day trip----an hour and half travel each way and 5 hours or so in Palomas. It is a nice day outing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 08:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
As others have indicated the clinics, pharmacies, and the famous Pink Store are all within 2 blocks from the border.
A friend of mine recently got a new pair of glasses with all the bells and whistles. Waiting time for eye exam and finishing of the glasses was about 4 hours. Meaning you can get glasses in one trip - at least at the optometrist they visited.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:35 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,316,796 times
They say 2 hours for making the glasses up. So if you bring a prescription and frames or know what frames you want you can have them in half the time it took your friends.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 PM

Guess I wont get to test the 2 hour service. The power was out in Palomas today so they couldn't make lenses at the optical shop and they couldn't do dentistry at the dentist!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Guess I wont get to test the 2 hour service. The power was out in Palomas today so they couldn't make lenses at the optical shop and they couldn't do dentistry at the dentist!
If this was on Thursday the 23rd, you're lucky you even found the place in the dust storm that likely was the cause of the power outage. The freeway through El Paso was even down to 1/2 mile or less visibility.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
If this was on Thursday the 23rd, you're lucky you even found the place in the dust storm that likely was the cause of the power outage. The freeway through El Paso was even down to 1/2 mile or less visibility.
That was the day. Yes there were some interesting spots on the highway between Deming and Colombus that day, with visibility of only a few hundred yards in a couple short stretches. Fortunately it wasnt bad on I-10 though.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Yes there were some interesting spots ... with visibility of only a few hundred yards in a couple short stretches.
If you were in your vehicle you might want to remove the engine air cleaner and blow the dirt out - or replace it. Today's cars also have cabin air filters that need cleaning or changing periodically.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:54 PM

Went back again this week and picked up my glasses and a new crown. For the first time since I've been going there a young kid ran up to me and held his hand out, but he ran off just as quickly. Then a guy asked me "What are you looking for?" as I walked back toward the border but I said "just going home" and he smiled and said OK. Wonder what he was selling...

Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM

No beggers, hawkers or question askers today.

I've never eaten at the Pink Store. I hear the food is good, but I checked the menu and the prices weren't any cheaper than you can find in the US. Is the food really any different or better? I discovered that delicious Havana Club 7 Anos Cuban Rum (and presumably other booze) is nearly 25% cheaper at the store across the street (on east side of the main street before you get to the PS). Unfortunately I discovered this AFTER buying it at the PS. I didn't see any gringos in there...and I never see anything but gringos in the Pink Store.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:07 PM

1 posts, read 803 times
Default Puerto Palomas

The rate of exchange most places in Palomas is 17 pesos to the dollar . Take ur calculator with u so u won't get cheated. Me and some of my siblings go about once a week . We make it an afternoon outing, we drive over and go to a restaurant about 3 blocks from the border . There's a bread store and a couple of restaurant and a store .awe have a cousin that lives over there so he takes us to all the neat out of the way stores and shops . It's a lot cheaper once u go in a few blocks in .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico