Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Yup, there is some talk about the grey wolf. I think that it will cause more problems then they know what to do with.
Lot's of coyotes around. That was a bad day, too much wind to make for good calling.
On a good day in that area you would expect to call in 20 or more, we only got 4 to come in that day.
I think you're right about that. They were removed for a reason, and that reason isn't going to go away any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
Those look like they are furred up nicely. Twenty a day you guys must have some good country to hunt.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:01 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,185 times
A state biologist told me he got to see the original stock from the release program. He thought the wolf was supposed to be wild. When he went into the pen the wolf came up to him to be petted. He knew the program was a big money wasting joke from that point on.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:39 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Yes, for desert coyotes they are looking pretty good.
I guess my main problem with the wolf is kind of like the elk and the oryx.
They brought the elk back in the 40's (IIRC) for years we had a good small herd on the mountain but it was not managed correctly.
Now, the elk are taking over, the game department is spending millions of dollars putting up elk proof fences around private property, they can't seem to kill them fast enough.
The orxy, same thing but in just 20 or so years they went from a few and the chance to draw a permit to hunt a "once in a lifetime hunt" was pretty slim.
Now they are invading the valley like crazy and again they can't kill them fast enough.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Introducing wolves will take care of the coyotes, elk and Oryx over population pretty quickly. They will also pretty much take care of too many sheep or goats as well. Not to mention cats, dogs and prairie dogs. Wolves are very effective predators. The do keep the herds healthy. Maybe the Jaguar or Puma should just extend their breeding range. Now there are critters that will make the elk nervous. Not to mention the cattle ranchers and sheep/goat herders.

We could use some in New England to thin out the white tail deer infestation. The black bears around here don’t seem to be doing their job.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 AM

502 posts, read 1,379,615 times
Yup, they would take care of alot of different "problems".
One thing I have always wondered about.
According to federal law if a wolf is attacking your pet, you are out of luck.
I.E if your walking your dog (personal property) and a wolf attacks it you may not defend your dog with deadly force.
BUT, New Mexico law says I can use deadly force to protect my property!
I.E if YOU attack my dog I can shoot you but not a wolf
I guess a wolf is much more important than a human
Just a little bit of a conflict I would say

Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
That'll be a bad day, when and if, they re-introduce wolves into that area. If the authorities don't believe it, they need to check in with their neighbors to the north. Wyoming got the short-end of the stick on that deal. And, they weren't even native wolves. They were brought in from Canada! They are spreading so much, (and obviously don't know where the Yellowstone Park boundaries are, which they've long since crossed), that people have spotted them over in the Bighorn Mountains, and even close to the southern stateline.

I'm not against wolves as such; they are beautiful animals, but unfortunately, they don't fit into the scheme of things, in these areas. The population is too greatly built up. It's great for them to be in parts of Canada, or up in Alaska. There is plenty of room to accomodate them. But, to re-introduce them in the Lower 48 was, and continues to be, a very bad idea, not only for the people, (the ranchers, especially, can attest to that), but for the wolves, themselves. These feel-good folks, who get so excited at the prospect of seeing or hearing a wolf in the wild, are doing these animals no favors!). And, I can tell you one thing, if I am ever lucky enough to move to NM, (my husband and I are talking about it), if I'm on my own property, and a wolf is attacking my animals, well, let's just say that there is an unspoken policy in Wyoming. It's called, "shoot, shovel, and shut up"!

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
I like the SSS idea..
Go to the Alaska forum and read about the wolves up there, they will take down your family pets because they are an easy target. Also read the Fairbanks paper link about the wolves.
I know in Illinois if an animal is attacking your livestock you can shoot it, but if it attacks your kids, you can't. Crazy laws. That was the first time I shot a gun..

Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
I like the SSS idea..
Go to the Alaska forum and read about the wolves up there, they will take down your family pets because they are an easy target. Also read the Fairbanks paper link about the wolves.
I know in Illinois if an animal is attacking your livestock you can shoot it, but if it attacks your kids, you can't. Crazy laws. That was the first time I shot a gun..
Wow, I guess I was wrong! I figured that there was enough room in Alaska to accomodate the wolves. That's amazing that they are having those kind of troubles up there, of all places! Of course, wolves are opportunistic, like any animal, and will look for the easiest meal.

Frankly, when it comes to laws of this nature, I guess my husband and I would be law-breakers, because there is no way I'm going to just stand by, while a wolf, coyote, or anything else, is attacking my pets. I also have a miniature horse, (and, if I'm lucky enough to make it out to NM, I would probably also have a riding horse, or two), and I'm just not allowing some other critter to make a meal out of him! The wolves are simply following their instinct, but I would also be following mine, to protect my animals. Not to mention the fact, that if they are close enough to jump my critters, they are close enough to jump me or my family members. Not cool!

I've been reading some of these posts to my husband, and he brought up an interesting point. Most states have laws against alien, non-indigenious animals being introduced in the wild, and yet, the Feds can override that, and they bring in wolves from Canada and Mexico, and plop them square in the middle of us! Something's wrong with this picture! Of course, most of them are sitting on their backsides in Washington, and have no concept of what it's like to live out West, particularly as a rancher or farmer, nor do they give a rip!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Please check my post about the changes in the Great North Woods I wrote for the Maine section. I postulated that the changes were a part of a long-term plan to change the wilder areas of the northeast and the west entirely into recreation areas for the ‘leisure class”. The reintroduction of wild predators into remote farming areas of the west is the counterpart of shutting down the paper industry in Maine and New Hampshire. To the, mostly city and suburban people that constitute the very wealthy, ranching and grazing on their public lands is just not right. These lands should only be used for the actual and spiritual recreation of the proper people that can afford the luxury. In their opinion cows and sheep destroy the range and their existence should be discouraged. Unwilling to actually come out and describe their plan and face the incredible resistance these folks just do things to make ranching uneconomical. Introducing protected predators with a taste for veal or lamb makes ranching uneconomical in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico