Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,896,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Well it is pretty obvious that you have never delt with wildlife and domestic animals.
"If the wolves happen to kill some ranchers stock so what, that rancher is more than likely feeding off the nipple of the government"
Now that has got to be the funniest and at the same time the dumbest thing I have read all day, maybe all week
But what happens when the predators learn that it is alot easier to prey on dogs, cats, other pets and children? Guess maybe that is ok with you also.
I've got no major heartburn over the wolf. What I do have a problem with is the Federal Govt. shoving them down our throat and then say too bad for you and your domestic animals.

I live in the sticks and have raised various animals, cows, sheep, ducks, turkey and chickens.
Have had problems over the years with wild animals, from fox, coyote, bobcat and bear.
A simple matter to solve. The smaller ones you put on a stretcher, the bears you call the game department and they pick up the mortal remains.
Problem solved.
I do have to agree on the SSS theory to some degree. You need to put the hide on a stretcher before ya bury them.
If it is a wolf, the way the law is written, all you can do is suffer.
AMEN to that one!!! Having been born and raised in very rural West Texas, I've seen most of it firsthand. Predators will always go after the easiest prey.....pets, lambs, etc. The government gets more and more intrusive every year, too.

:-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:24 PM

502 posts, read 1,381,620 times
Cathy, it's really tough for those of us who live the life to get through to those who live the life through magazine articles.
Unless they have been there and done that they will never understand.
Folks seem to think that what they read is gospel even though on any given day you can find an opposing opinion on any given topic!
One good example of what happens when wild animals are not controled.
Do a google search for "coyote attacks"
Ya only get 181,000 hits for that topic alone.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM

101 posts, read 386,459 times
Default For mtncat

Of course the easy prey is taken, but like I said in an earlier post dogs don't belong unsupervised in "wild" country, cats shouldn't be outside off a leash anywhere and children shouldn't be unsupervised period.

If you live in the sticks you should expect to encounter "problems" with animals. Do you agree? Does that give you the right to kill them? Can't the problems be solved otherwise? I'm no PETA member but the way you talk it's all secondary to you. It sounds selfish.

I'm not anti-hunter or anti-rancher but here's my thing....

Wolves, at on time, were all over the West living in conjuction with the Native people. As years went by the West was settled by white men (& black)and wolves were killed off (with the help of the government) basically to extinction because they were a "problem". Wolves suffered. Maybe few survived in the northern Rockies, Minnesota, but for the most part they were extirpated because ranchers suffered "losses". The ranchers' rights became greater. The government, being the people of the United States, didn't care much. Years go by and it's realized that removing a component from an ecosystem is, overall, harmful to said ecosystem along with a complete change in how people view the environment, animals, etc. and it's decided to re-introduce the component (wolves) back into an reletively small area of it's original range. Into a National Park nevertheless. Said wolves become "successful".

Now you say you suffer?

The wolves were here first. I say find a way to deal with it so people can live with them.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
Of course the easy prey is taken, but like I said in an earlier post dogs don't belong unsupervised in "wild" country, cats shouldn't be outside off a leash anywhere and children shouldn't be unsupervised period.

If you live in the sticks you should expect to encounter "problems" with animals. Do you agree? Does that give you the right to kill them? Can't the problems be solved otherwise? I'm no PETA member but the way you talk it's all secondary to you. It sounds selfish.

Wolves, at on time, were all over the West living in conjuction with the Native people. As years went by the West was settled by white men (& black)and wolves were killed off (with the help of the government) basically to extinction because they were a "problem". Wolves suffered. Maybe few survived in the northern Rockies, Minnesota, but for the most part they were extirpated because ranchers suffered "losses". The ranchers' rights became greater. The government, being the people of the United States, didn't care much. Years go by and it's realized that removing a component from an ecosystem is, overall, harmful to said ecosystem along with a complete change in how people view the environment, animals, etc. and it's decided to re-introduce the component (wolves) back into an reletively small area of it's original range. Into a National Park nevertheless. Said wolves become "successful".

Now you say you suffer?

The wolves were here first. I say find a way to deal with it so people can live with them.
While you make some valid points, wildlife is not only out in the "sticks" on ranchers' land and private acreage...they're coming into suburban areas in search of water and food, especially during very dry/harsh times.

If you eat any kind of meat/produce and use any of the other products that ranchers/farmers/rural workers produce, you are a consumer who does not have to put up with what those producers do.

Do YOU have to live with wolves, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, elk, deer...or any other wildlife that is a potential danger/damage to your livelihood/pets/children/property?

I bet you don't. So, it's easy for those who don't to say what should be done.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:47 PM

101 posts, read 386,459 times
Point taken

Old 12-21-2007, 05:44 PM

502 posts, read 1,381,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post

I agree, as a trapper during the winter months I HATE when I have to release some ones pet because they are not responsible. The last coyote attack on a dog here on the mountain was to a poodle that was being walked, on a leash by the owner

Yes, I live in the sticks and yes I have a legal right to kill any animal that causing a problem. That is unless it is a wolf

If I recall correctly the dinosaur was here before people, do you want to live with them in your back yard???????

Now you say you suffer?

Yup, and just like the wolf I will do what I have to do to survive.
Survival of the fittest is the law of the land so to speak.
We need to put people before animals, sorry but that is the way it should be.
I've got to many people I know that are out of work, and on the verge of being homeless due to us putting animals and bugs before the welfare of people.

I have no problem with that at all. The problem is we are not allowed to deal with it the way it needs to be delt with!

Last edited by mtncat; 12-21-2007 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-21-2007, 06:59 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,732,484 times
This topic has long since ceased to be about New Mexico. Maybe it should be move to a political forum? I don't think anyone is going to be swayed from their leanings here.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
You have a valid point, although it is still tangentially about New Mexico, although not specifically.

As the catman, I hate to think of my relatives the mountain lions and especially bobcats being hunted, as they are such beautiful animals. Bobcats aren't big enough to kill much livestock, are they? Few people are harmed by either one. The felids tend to stay away from people. Pets, now, that's probably another matter, but I don't think pets should be allowed to run free unsupervised. If the wild animals don't get them, the traffic is likely to, at least in some areas. But I'm not doctrinaire about it; I can see that, never having been a rancher or farmer, I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,239 times
mtncat
What a BEAUTIFUL picture! I grew up in Alamogordo and had long forgotten the wrangling and finger crossing my dad did in-order to draw a ticket for the hunt.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
You have a valid point, although it is still tangentially about New Mexico, although not specifically.

As the catman, I hate to think of my relatives the mountain lions and especially bobcats being hunted, as they are such beautiful animals. Bobcats aren't big enough to kill much livestock, are they? Few people are harmed by either one. The felids tend to stay away from people. Pets, now, that's probably another matter, but I don't think pets should be allowed to run free unsupervised. If the wild animals don't get them, the traffic is likely to, at least in some areas. But I'm not doctrinaire about it; I can see that, never having been a rancher or farmer, I haven't walked a mile in their shoes.
Bobcats will kill lambs and any other prey that is not bigger than they are....they were often killed on sight. I've seen a few hanging from gate posts out in the pasture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico