Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,000,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was arguing that the demise of agriculture in the wilder lands is part of a plan to increase the recreational opportunities for the primarily urban elite.
Plans rarely go as planned. More likeley tho, the demise of agriculture is caused by small farmers having to compete with agribusiness. They just don't have the same economies of scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat
Now, the elk are taking over, the game department is spending millions of dollars putting up elk proof fences around private property, they can't seem to kill them fast enough. The orxy, same thing but in just 20 or so years they went from a few and the chance to draw a permit to hunt a "once in a lifetime hunt" was pretty slim. Now they are invading the valley like crazy and again they can't kill them fast enough.
Usually you hear hunters complain about too few prey. PA has a problem with too many deer, but it's a hunter's paradise. They use the opportunity to put meat on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:18 PM

502 posts, read 1,380,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikncnu View Post
mtncat
What a BEAUTIFUL picture! I grew up in Alamogordo and had long forgotten the wrangling and finger crossing my dad did in-order to draw a ticket for the hunt.
Yes, it use to be a "once in a life time" hunt. Now they are such a pain they are putting out awhile lot more permits. Just about everyone I know that put in last year got drawn.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:32 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Yes, it use to be a "once in a life time" hunt. Now they are such a pain they are putting out awhile lot more permits. Just about everyone I know that put in last year got drawn.
Mtncat, what is the cost for an out of state license, or do you have to be a NM resident only?
Jane

Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 PM

Jane, a non resident license will run $1,618.00
Pretty steep but they are some good eating.
Saw well over 250 of them today. Was not able to get any pictures though.
I guess the best part of the day was getting to see one of the very few mustangs that are still running wild on the range.
He was several hundred yards away so I was not able to get a picture of him either. Still nice to see part of our heritage that is quickly going by the wayside

Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,440 times
Thanks for the information. I may be in touch with you about the hunt. Would like to try the oryx, since all I have heard its good eating..
Jane

Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Thanks for the information. I may be in touch with you about the hunt. Would like to try the oryx, since all I have heard its good eating..
Jane
Jane, feel free to drop me a line anytime. I'm still trying to get some better pictures. Looks like I am either going to have to invest in a high dollar digital or break out the old cannon 35 mm.
Also, saw everal hundred elk this weekend

Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,624,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncat View Post
Also, saw everal hundred elk this weekend
Wow! May I ask where you saw them? My husband and I are always interested. We try to keep track of the game populations in Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. I wish that New Mexico had a fish and game magazine, like WY and CO do. I would take a subscription to it, if there was one.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Wow! May I ask where you saw them? My husband and I are always interested. We try to keep track of the game populations in Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico. I wish that New Mexico had a fish and game magazine, like WY and CO do. I would take a subscription to it, if there was one.
It would be really nice if we had a state wide magazine. Maybe one of these days.
These elk were down pretty low. The lower part of Labrocita Canyon.
This country ranges from juniper/pinon to mesquite. Kind of odd to see them so low when we pretty much have no snow in the high country.
One good source of information on the game happenings in the state is the game department web site
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/index.htm
It has also been my experience that just about any Game and FIsh officer is more then willing to take the time to help you out.
Take care and have a safe and happy New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico