Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Informative Comments. Thanks

Concerning health care in Albuquerque. I heard somewhere, I don't remember where. That some Medical Groups either don't take Blue Cross. Or if they do they are not PPOs. Is this true?. I have Blue Cross Federal and Medicare. Thanks
Some medical groups don't take certain policies at various times all over the place. I really am not aware of how it works. My medical coverage has been pretty good in the ABQ area over the past 20 years. My wife takes care of all the medical issues. I am a lucky guy...

For some reason the previous map I posted is not working well today...

Try this one: https://www.google.com/search?client...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2

This thread may be of help: Presbyterian Health or BlueCross BlueShield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 12:02 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
As a young person, this is the reason why I changed my mind about wanting to live in New Mexico. It lacks jobs, which means a lack of young people.

There should be lots of jobs soon taking care of old people.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:30 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
There should be lots of jobs soon taking care of old people.
And that's basically medical mainly, retail or menial jobs.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:55 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Informative Comments. Thanks

Concerning health care in Albuquerque. I heard somewhere, I don't remember where. That some Medical Groups either don't take Blue Cross. Or if they do they are not PPOs. Is this true?. I have Blue Cross Federal and Medicare. Thanks
A few providers don't take Blue Cross. Blue Cross is very difficult for providers to work with, they pay late, reimburse poorly, and so on, to the point that some providers have quit working with BC. For example, some Urgent Care centers won't take BC patients. That's all I can tell you from personal experience. I haven't run into that problem with primary care providers, however. ABQ is a big city; you should be able to find providers who will take your insurance.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
As a young person, this is the reason why I changed my mind about wanting to live in New Mexico. It lacks jobs, which means a lack of young people.
You've decided against NM? Weren't you in tech, or was that someone else? You should be able to find jobs here, and there are young techies around, plenty of young teachers, state employees, lab engineers, etc.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You've decided against NM? Weren't you in tech, or was that someone else? You should be able to find jobs here, and there are young techies around, plenty of young teachers, state employees, lab engineers, etc.
I am an IT major, but I am seeing all kinds of posts on this site and many places on the internet about people wanting to retire in NM. NM is a retiree home not a place to settle down for a young person. That's what happens in a place with a failing sprawl just like how young people are moving out of NJ, which will turn NJ into a rust belt sometime in my lifetime making NJ a retiree state.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I am an IT major, but I am seeing all kinds of posts on this site and many places on the internet about people wanting to retire in NM. NM is a retiree home not a place to settle down for a young person. That's what happens in a place with a failing sprawl just like how young people are moving out of NJ, which will turn NJ into a rust belt sometime in my lifetime making NJ a retiree state.
The fact that retirees in the NE and in CA are choosing NM to retire to doesn't necessarily mean anything. Retirees are flocking to small towns in WA State, outside Seattle, as well. That doesn't mean those places are turning into rust belts or that there are no young people. Young people are flocking to some of those places, as well.

Retirees are flocking everywhere, because there's a population bulge in the retiree demographic. You can't escape them, lol.

But, whatever. You seem to have made up your mind. Didn't you say you're South Asian? Have you spoken to South Asian techies in the Bay Area and Seattle, to see how they're faring socially, among the young people there? We've had a few coming to C-D to rant about feeling isolated. You may find you'll do better in a state that's 60% Hispanic and Native American, rather than chase some generic youth demographic around the country. Just saying.

Good luck. Let us know if you find what you're looking for.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-01-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
As a young person, this is the reason why I changed my mind about wanting to live in New Mexico.
Not to worry. You can retire here and see what you missed. New Mexico will still be here.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:12 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
According to this map from Nov. 2018, the median age in New Mexico is exactly the same as Washington State, 37.7. The median age in New Jersey is 39.8 and the East Coast in general has a much higher median age than the Western half of the country.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stat...ge-map-2018-11

Old 05-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The fact that retirees in the NE and in CA are choosing NM to retire to doesn't necessarily mean anything. Retirees are flocking to small towns in WA State, outside Seattle, as well. That doesn't mean those places are turning into rust belts or that there are no young people. Young people are flocking to some of those places, as well.

Retirees are flocking everywhere, because there's a population bulge in the retiree demographic. You can't escape them, lol.

But, whatever. You seem to have made up your mind. Didn't you say you're South Asian? Have you spoken to South Asian techies in the Bay Area and Seattle, to see how they're faring socially, among the young people there? We've had a few coming to C-D to rant about feeling isolated. You may find you'll do better in a state that's 60% Hispanic and Native American, rather than chase some generic youth demographic around the country. Just saying.

Good luck. Let us know if you find what you're looking for.
Now I am obsessed with the PNW again, because the PNW is better for jobs and meeting poeple. Medium to high cost areas are better for that. There are areas in the PNW where it is not too expensive. The PNW is not as extremely expensive as people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico