Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:28 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Not to worry. You can retire here and see what you missed. New Mexico will still be here.
Wouldn't it be funny if NM is gone due to a Pangaea theory, which will not happen in my lifetime! At least it will take millions of years for land to be altered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 02:22 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am an IT major, but I am seeing all kinds of posts on this site and many places on the internet about people wanting to retire in NM. NM is a retiree home not a place to settle down for a young person. That's what happens in a place with a failing sprawl just like how young people are moving out of NJ, which will turn NJ into a rust belt sometime in my lifetime making NJ a retiree state.
Most retirees have been around the block a few times.....you might even could learn something from some of them.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Wouldn't it be funny if NM is gone due to a Pangaea theory, which will not happen in my lifetime! At least it will take millions of years for land to be altered.
If you enjoy historical geology, New Mexico definitely has it all. I was 19 when I first came to the State and hardly knew what a rock was yet I ended up with a minor in geology from a small New Mexico university.

Of course my education came at a time just after Pangaea had moved into the northern hemisphere.

BTW, we hardly worry about rust in New Mexico.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
If you enjoy historical geology, New Mexico definitely has it all. I was 19 when I first came to the State and hardly knew what a rock was yet I ended up with a minor in geology from a small New Mexico university.
School of Mines?
Yeah NM has interesting geology. And within easy driving distance of even more interesting geology (southern Utah).

Old 05-07-2019, 01:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
School of Mines?
Yeah NM has interesting geology. And within easy driving distance of even more interesting geology (southern Utah).
Ha! No. I think the School of Mines became New Mexico Tech in 1951. I'm old enough to remember when you could drive for hours in the evenings in many places in New Mexico and not see another car but not quite old enough to have attended NMSM.

I certainly agree that southern Utah also has some amazing geology. Last summer my family and I took our RV out of Albuquerque over to the Grand Canyon in Arizona, then on into Moab. There we visited the Canyonlands NP and the Arches NP then headed over into Colorado. All extremely beautiful areas.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Ha! No. I think the School of Mines became New Mexico Tech in 1951.
It's officially known by three names: NMT, NMIMT, School of Mines.

Quote:
I'm old enough to remember when you could drive for hours in the evenings in many places in New Mexico and not see another car
There's still a bunch of areas where this is true.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:32 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
This is very misleading.
The numbers in parenthesis indicate the percent of people who moved into the state that were retirees.
In absolute numbers, the big dog, and leader of the pack is still Florida.

According to SmartAsset using 2016 US census figure reflecting net migration of people over the age of sixty:

"The top four states where retirees are moving remains unchanged from last year’s study. Florida, Arizona, North Carolina and South Carolina once again occupy the top four spots. Of these four, Florida is a clear first. In total, 84,600 more retirees moved to Florida than left. Arizona which took second had about 28,600, North Carolina received about 15,600 and South Carolina received a net influx of about 8,500 retirees."

I don't think it has changed all that much since then.
Very misleading. And just one van company's data. I don't think too much can be gleaned from that.

If anyone is interested, here is the Census 2017 data for state to state migration. https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...Table_2017.xls

Looks like from cell h53 that 57,255 people moved from another state to NM in 2017, and from cell ca10 67,296 moved to another state from NM. So ~10k net loss due to migration within the US, or 0.5% per year. On this page you can see that this level of net population loss has been typical for NM since 2011. https://www.governing.com/gov-data/c...-by-state.html

The state we trade most people with is TX, by far. Next down the list are AZ, CA, and CO.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:07 AM

19 posts, read 32,856 times
Default Retirement

My husband lived in Albuquerque in the 80's while he was doing his residency. We have been back many times. He has always wanted to return. We made a big step and purchased property. We are looking forward to retirement in Albuquerque!

Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM

173 posts, read 120,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wait, I don't understand these numbers. Shouldn't they all add up to 100% of United Van Lines' retiree moves, instead of over 300%? lol

NM is cheap, and has low property tax rates. Maybe retirees don't feel they have to worry about it running out of water in their lifetime, but they might find out they're wrong.Let's hope not.
Sorry, Ruth4Truth, I have to disagree that living in NM is cheap and property taxes low. I've lived here for 10 years and I'm paying as much as I did for expenses and property taxes as in Seattle! Maybe if you leave around Deming and in a single wide on an acre?

Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog-Mom View Post
Sorry, Ruth4Truth, I have to disagree that living in NM is cheap and property taxes low. I've lived here for 10 years and I'm paying as much as I did for expenses and property taxes as in Seattle! Maybe if you leave around Deming and in a single wide on an acre?
Well....we find that most things in NM are much cheaper than where we are moving from....the Fairbanks, Alaska area. The one exception we found was with housing.....at least in the SF area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico