Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was in Toucan yesterday, as well as Wal-Mart Neighborhood market on Sonoma Ranch. Almost everyone I saw in both stores including myself was wearing a mask. El Paso is the same, as I have reported previously.

I was going to mention Toucan after I posted. Definitely a higher income clientele there. You have to be, they are so expensive, even more so than Mountain View.

I've only been to the Sonoma Walmart 3-4 times, all during the covid pandemic. I think they are better than Walmart on valley but I don't believe anywhere near 95% wore masks, I just don't. That definitely was not the case when I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 10:31 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I was going to mention Toucan after I posted. Definitely a higher income clientele there. You have to be, they are so expensive, even more so than Mountain View.

I've only been to the Sonoma Walmart 3-4 times, all during the covid pandemic. I think they are better than Walmart on valley but I don't believe anywhere near 95% wore masks, I just don't. That definitely was not the case when I was there.
That's fair. If I had to surmise the percentage of those wearing masks in the 4 Wal Mart's that I have visited here in town, in order it would be, from most wearing masks to least:

1) Sonoma Ranch Neighborhood Market (by far)
2) Rinconada Supercenter
3) Valley Supercenter
4) Walton Boulevard off of Lohman.

I would also say that Sprouts has any of these topped, with possible exception of Neighborhood Walmart on Sonoma Ranch Boulevard. They are neck and neck for most compliant after Toucan. When I was in Toucan almost everyone wore a mask, their might have been one dissenter. I have not gone into the coop at Mountainview or have visited Natural Grocers, in addition to the Albertson's on North Main.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:42 AM

104 posts, read 111,138 times
I was at Mountain View Coop the other day - the only place that I have seen 100% compliance with wearing masks.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The state will be putting off the next phase of re-opening for at least two weeks due to the recent dramatic spike in cases:

https://www.abqjournal.com/1468198/s...trictions.html

The story says that ICU beds were more than 100 percent full, but does not explain what that means nor make clear whether they still are. It also claims that New Mexico has the lowest amount of ICU beds per capita in the country.

As I've said all along, I don't think we have a good accounting of hospital capacity in New Mexico.
Thanks for this update. I recall, that the governor had arranged for extra beds and treatment space be set up by --was it the National Guard? Some federal authority--in the parking lot of one of the ABQ hospitals. Whatever happened to that extra emergency ward?

Santa Fe County is doing pretty well, as far as I can tell. Situation is under control. I'm not aware of any major spike in cases. Cases have been increasing, but slowly, AFAIK.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:28 PM

5,015 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for this update. I recall, that the governor had arranged for extra beds and treatment space be set up by --was it the National Guard? Some federal authority--in the parking lot of one of the ABQ hospitals. Whatever happened to that extra emergency ward?

Santa Fe County is doing pretty well, as far as I can tell. Situation is under control. I'm not aware of any major spike in cases. Cases have been increasing, but slowly, AFAIK.
The former Lovelace Gibson hospital was set up as well as the ABQ Convention Center for overflow, but we have never heard about them being activated. I think that would make the news if they were being used.

Meanwhile in Arizona the hospitalizations keep going up. Five days ago they were at 1,832, and today at 2,270, a 24% increase. New Mexico still showing a modest decline.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:54 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Meanwhile in Arizona the hospitalizations keep going up. Five days ago they were at 1,832, and today at 2,270, a 24% increase. New Mexico still showing a modest decline.
Check out the hospitalization data on this official state of AZ covid19 website - https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php. It shows that daily hospitalizations have dramatically decreased over the last 3 weeks. Daily deaths, also shown on the same website, have also dropped significantly over the last week.

I know the media is reporting that hospitalizations are up in AZ, and maybe total hospitalizations are, but I think what is even more important is the trend in daily hospitalizations, which is clearly downward based on the most recent data.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Check out the hospitalization data on this official state of AZ covid19 website - https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/e...ards/index.php. It shows that daily hospitalizations have dramatically decreased over the last 3 weeks. Daily deaths, also shown on the same website, have also dropped significantly over the last week.

I know the media is reporting that hospitalizations are up in AZ, and maybe total hospitalizations are, but I think what is even more important is the trend in daily hospitalizations, which is clearly downward based on the most recent data.
That is the website I'm using, under "Hospital COVID-19 Specific Metrics" which includes "positive or suspected COVID-19 patients", I think you are looking at one where only people who already tested positive before going to the hospital are counted. Later the numbers will go up as patients are tested and confirmed positive after hospital admission. And Arizona reported their highest single-day number of deaths today, 79, but their reporting includes matching of death certificates after the fact. So the data you are looking at have a lag time before they catch up to the actual numbers. It doesn't mean their numbers are going down, although it's easy to get that impression.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Today Bernalillo County reported its largest single day increase in cases this month. The Journal article below mentions the protests as being a possible explanation for the increase.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1469556/n...lo-county.html

In addition, look at the Journal's graphic below showing the new spike occuring right now in New Mexico. We went from a V to an M to now a W in terms of the curve.

I think absolutely we are seeing an increase because of these protests and mass gatherings like for Juneteenth this past weekend. They are highly irresponsible and it's disgusting that even our elected officials have taken part in them. Instead, they should've been discouraging and stopping them from taking place. I'm utterly disgusted in the hypocrisy and double standards on display by our mayor, governor, etc. Now is not the time to be protesting. People shouldn't be gathering close together in large groups for any reason. And masks only work with the added social distancing.

The governor and mayor have lost all moral authority in this matter as far as I'm concerned. Many people are no longer taking their words seriously, and that's a shame and dangerous for the most vulnerable among us. I've seen lots of people on social media saying why should we stay home or not gather in large crowds if our leaders have allowed these gatherings to take place. A member of my family yesterday on Facebook asked why should the Balloon Fiesta and Freedom Fourth have to be canceled if they are outdoors and people could wear masks. They asked what's the difference between that and Juneteenth at Roosevelt Park this past weekend. It's hard for me to come up with a good argument as to why they are different.

Peaceful protesting is our right but so is freedom to worship. We can't have made churches obey these orders and then allow these protests and large gatherings to take place, no matter the reason behind them.

The first socially distant car protest was beautiful, powerful and done right. It should've stopped there.

Unfortunately, we are now seeing the results of people not abiding by the restrictions.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:13 AM

I think it's impossible to say how much the protests are responsible for the increase, when at the same time we've opened up the economy, opened restaurants at 50%, barbershops, salons, retail, etc., etc. While the protests garnered a lot of attention on TV, what you didn't see was far greater numbers of people going back to work, in industries where social distancing is difficult, and people going back to eating out, shopping, churches, etc. An increase in cases was expected after the reopening.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Another bad day for increase in cases in New Mexico with 207 new cases recorded today, 60 in Bernalillo County alone!

The governor now says the next phase of re-opening is delayed at least until the second week in July.

KRQE has the charts and graphs showing various measurements. Four out of five of the state's public health districts have seen an increase in their transmission rates. The Albuquerque MSA (Central) is the only one to see a decrease, but it's still above 1 at 1.03, which is down from 1.06 a week before. The entire state has dramatically reversed course from .87 a week ago to 1.12 this week.

https://www.krqe.com/health/coronavi...orts-thursday/

The Journal article for today quotes the health secretary as blaming some of the increase on people traveling from New Mexico to Arizona for a baseball tournament and to Texas for graduation parties. Yet they fail to blame or even mention the much larger numbers of people involved in huge, daily rallies, protests and gatherings over the last three weeks. Again, quite hypocritical and weak for not wanting to lay blame everywhere they should. Large gatherings are highly irresponsible, dangerous and wreckless right now, period!

https://www.abqjournal.com/1469926/l...-response.html

BTW, in reading about the increase in cases nationwide yesterday I came across this great resource by the Washington Post. It includes lots of great interactive charts and graphics that easily lets you compare various measurements of the pandemic's spread across the states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico