Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 12:32 AM
CII

153 posts, read 225,140 times

Advertisements

Kevin Stitt from Oklahoma number 16? Some super duper list ya got there.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 PM

282 posts, read 218,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
https://nmbizcoalition.org/wp-conten...-in-nation.pdf

Grisham is not fooling me. I will personally influence as many as I can this election cycle to ensure that she is not only defeated, but crushed. Ranked the worst governor in the country by the annual Lafer-ALEC poll.

https://newmexicosun.com/stories/618...er-alec-report

She must be defeated, massively.
The governor is doing just fine. She has helped broker several of these big economic development projects in her time in office. Another 700-plus jobs were recently announced in your neck of the woods, in fact.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquer...as-cruces.html

I have no doubt the governor will be re-elected, because she stands for what most New Mexicans believe in. There's no way the electorate here is going to allow what's happening in places like Texas to happen here.

Most everybody I know is enthusiastically voting for the governor this election. I don't have to try influence anybody, thankfully.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:56 PM

I hope this thread doesn't get needlessly derailed by politics. It's supposed to be a thread about growth and development in Los Lunas specifically. I'll try to get it back on track.

The UNM Valencia Workforce Training Center was recently completed in Los Lunas. It's a very nice facility!

https://www.studioswarch.com/2022/04...aining-center/

Old 05-27-2022, 10:11 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,838,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
The governor is doing just fine. She has helped broker several of these big economic development projects in her time in office. Another 700-plus jobs were recently announced in your neck of the woods, in fact.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquer...as-cruces.html

I have no doubt the governor will be re-elected, because she stands for what most New Mexicans believe in. There's no way the electorate here is going to allow what's happening in places like Texas to happen here.

Most everybody I know is enthusiastically voting for the governor this election. I don't have to try influence anybody, thankfully.
I know many more that don't believe in what she believes in, namely, redistributing wealth from highly successful people to less successful people, and the rule of law. I am in Dona Ana County, which has histortically leaned slightly towards Democrats. I think that is going to change this election cycle. The quality of life isn't up to the standard of the typical resident here. Much of this is predicated on petty crime and lack of prosecution. No one approves of crime. This governor has bestowed upon judges on what should be prosecuted. The result is an unmitigated disaster. Perpetrators with multiple felonies and misdemeanors are being released into the population. Democrats are historically soft on crime. Citizens, in Los Lunas, and across the state, aren't going to tolerate it. And they shouldn't. To be a desirable place to live, Los Lunas and New Mexico in general has to appeal to those out of the area with money. Los Lunas has a property crime rate 56 times higher than the national average. Grisham is soft on crime. She should be defeated massively.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I know many more that don't believe in what she believes in, namely, redistributing wealth from highly successful people to less successful people, and the rule of law. I am in Dona Ana County, which has histortically leaned slightly towards Democrats. I think that is going to change this election cycle. The quality of life isn't up to the standard of the typical resident here. Much of this is predicated on petty crime and lack of prosecution. No one approves of crime. This governor has bestowed upon judges on what should be prosecuted. The result is an unmitigated disaster. Perpetrators with multiple felonies and misdemeanors are being released into the population. Democrats are historically soft on crime. Citizens, in Los Lunas, and across the state, aren't going to tolerate it. And they shouldn't. To be a desirable place to live, Los Lunas and New Mexico in general has to appeal to those out of the area with money. Los Lunas has a property crime rate 56 times higher than the national average. Grisham is soft on crime. She should be defeated massively.
Do you have anything to contribute to this thread or are you just interested in using it to rant about the governor?

Old 05-28-2022, 11:18 AM

An update about the Amazon facility in Los Lunas. In a recent tour for the media of the Albuquerque fulfillment center, it was revealed that the 1.5 million sq ft facility in Los Lunas will be a fulfillment center for large, non-sortable items, to complement the facility in Albuquerque that is for small, sortable items.

https://www.abqjournal.com/2498111/r...ok-inside.html

Quote:
From the outside, the facility looks as if it can fit a small town into it. And it probably can.

Amazon’s newest fulfillment center, which opened on Albuquerque’s West Side last fall, spans about 2.6 million square feet. Located at 12945 Ladera NW, the facility was built using about 20,000 tons of steel – equivalent to the amount of steel in three Eiffel Towers, said Dan Monson, assistant general manager for the fulfillment center.

The facility also has about 10 miles of conveyance and over 4,000 robotics drives, which “serve to make the lives and jobs of our associates easier and safer,” Monson said. That ease in work from the help of technology allows the facility to process 10 packages per second.

Media members and city and state officials joined Amazon on Wednesday to tour the fulfillment center – the first official tour, Amazon officials said – to get a look into how the company that employs more than 3,500 in the state operates at its largest facility. The company also presented to the Economic Forum of Albuquerque at Hotel Albuquerque Wednesday morning, giving an update on the company’s happenings in the state.

“We’re bullish on New Mexico,” said Amazon economic development policy manager for the Mountain West region, Sam Bailey, whose company also has nearby facilities for sorting and delivery. The company is also planning another massive fulfillment center in Los Lunas.

Local impact

Amazon officials said Wednesday that the company has invested more than $250 million in the state since first expanding into New Mexico.

Bailey said the company typically gravitates toward states that it can create a “synergy” with so that it can become a “hyperlocal company.” He said there is room to invest more into New Mexico but that there are no plans yet outside of finishing the fulfillment center in Los Lunas.

“When we start to evaluate where customer demand is coming from, we want to be able to service them as quickly as possible,” Bailey said. “And so, with New Mexico, we’ve validated this as a strong market for customers, and the sites that we choose connect us to our customers and logistics supply chain so we can do that in an efficient manner.”

The company currently has a fulfillment center, sortation center and delivery center on Albuquerque’s West Side and is planning another 1.5 million-square-foot facility in Los Lunas.

Bailey told the Journal that the new fulfillment center south of Albuquerque will employ about 600 workers when all is said and done. He declined to comment on a launch date for the new facility and said Amazon has yet to hire employees for it but said that supply chain issues have affected the timeline of the build-out.

The fulfillment center in Los Lunas will deal with non-sortable items – typically larger products such as televisions.

Asked if Amazon sees any opportunities for expansion in New Mexico, Bailey said “our great experience in New Mexico allows us to see future opportunities.”

Below is a screencap and link to the latest construction progress video on Vimeo for Project Charli in Los Lunas.

https://vimeopro.com/dronebros/const...ideo/712968125

Old 05-28-2022, 02:02 PM

In the article, Amazon is offering a free college tuition to those who have stayed on 90 days or more. They said it "might be a fool's errand". My question is: if they stay with Amazon, as they state they hope the perspective employee would, are there any other positions in the facility in Albquerque that the worker could move up to? While $15.50 an hour is an admirable start pay, sorting jobs have a limited skill range (most anyone can be trained to do it). Are there any other positions besides the manual labor positions being offered at this facility? My fear would be that there will be many employees that take full advantage of the college opportunity, then graduate, and leave the state, as the only worthwhile jobs in this state are tied into the public sector. Also, if they stay with Amazon, eventually, they will be promoted up to another area when additional knowledge of the company and skills are derived from working there.

Old 05-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CII View Post
Kevin Stitt from Oklahoma number 16? Some super duper list ya got there.
Have you read the criteria that measures governor performance in this list? It's a lot of different factors, tied into leadership, most notably economic performance and fiscal policy.

Leadership seems to be Governor Stitt's finest attribute Leadership defined in this article is:

A measure of labor, education
and welfare policy stances and
decisions regarding three key
areas (equal-weighted average).

This is a study based on economic performances of governors, and Republicans are wa more business-friendly than Democrats, for the most part. There are exceptions, of course, such as Governor Polis in Colorado, which is almost more libertarian in spirit than Democratic.

Old 05-28-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
In the article, Amazon is offering a free college tuition to those who have stayed on 90 days or more. They said it "might be a fool's errand". My question is: if they stay with Amazon, as they state they hope the perspective employee would, are there any other positions in the facility in Albquerque that the worker could move up to? While $15.50 an hour is an admirable start pay, sorting jobs have a limited skill range (most anyone can be trained to do it). Are there any other positions besides the manual labor positions being offered at this facility? My fear would be that there will be many employees that take full advantage of the college opportunity, then graduate, and leave the state, as the only worthwhile jobs in this state are tied into the public sector. Also, if they stay with Amazon, eventually, they will be promoted up to another area when additional knowledge of the company and skills are derived from working there.
There are plenty of worthwhile jobs in this state that keep and bring people here. Many thousands of them have been created in the last several years, in fact. It really doesn't matter whether they are "tied into the public sector" or not, and plenty of them are not.

You, and others like you, try to trash this state over everything and no matter what is actually going on here. Many of the times, and with you in particular, it is just to further your political narrative that is opposed to who most often gets elected in this state, Democrats. The fact is, over the last twenty or so years since the beginning of this century New Mexico has prospered and progressed the most econimically under Democratic governors. The Republican governorships have been nightmares for this state economically.

I had a running tally of jobs announcements and job creation in Albuquerque since 2018 that I need to update, but it was already at nearly 20,000 jobs before the big economic development announcements this year, which I'm sure will push the total to more like 25,000 jobs over the last four years. More than half of them are high-paying jobs. The majority of them had nothing to do with the public sector. Places and names like Intel, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Most are jobs that are diversifying our economy in areas like manufacturing, entertainment, etc.

People like you complain that we are reliant on public-sector jobs and then attempt to trash or minimize it when we create jobs outside of the public sector. Amazon is bringing solid jobs to Albuquerque and the state. Those jobs pay twice as much as the national minimum wage that people like you oppose increasing. They also pay quite a bit more than the local and state minimum wage, which people like you also complain about and try to block from being raised here.

You've created your own never-ending complaint loop and it's quite annoying.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque 101 View Post
There are plenty of worthwhile jobs in this state that keep and bring people here. Many thousands of them have been created in the last several years, in fact. It really doesn't matter whether they are "tied into the public sector" or not, and plenty of them are not.

You, and others like you, try to trash this state over everything and no matter what is actually going on here. Many of the times, and with you in particular, it is just to further your political narrative that is opposed to who most often gets elected in this state, Democrats. The fact is, over the last twenty or so years since the beginning of this century New Mexico has prospered and progressed the most econimically under Democratic governors. The Republican governorships have been nightmares for this state economically.

I had a running tally of jobs announcements and job creation in Albuquerque since 2018 that I need to update, but it was already at nearly 20,000 jobs before the big economic development announcements this year, which I'm sure will push the total to more like 25,000 jobs over the last four years. More than half of them are high-paying jobs. The majority of them had nothing to do with the public sector. Places and names like Intel, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Most are jobs that are diversifying our economy in areas like manufacturing, entertainment, etc.

People like you complain that we are reliant on public-sector jobs and then attempt to trash or minimize it when we create jobs outside of the public sector. Amazon is bringing solid jobs to Albuquerque and the state. Those jobs pay twice as much as the national minimum wage that people like you oppose increasing. They also pay quite a bit more than the local and state minimum wage, which people like you also complain about and try to block from being raised here.

You've created your own never-ending complaint loop and it's quite annoying.
It matters. Government jobs don't have nearly the value of small business. This state needs to get healthier in this aspect. Small business is the backbone of economic commerce in this country. I hope in the future New Mexico is a greater source of small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico