Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,551,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Tell me pipeweld, does it taste just like chicken?
It is actually pretty gamie. Needs to be slow smoked to give it a nice flavor plus to keep it moist and tender. Low and slow is the key!!!
I have not tried the skunk, will leave that one for someone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 PM

405 posts, read 1,336,208 times
I think everyone is really on the right track.. with a few execptions . First off, The Greater Roadrunner is in the Cuckoo family, which I think seems suprising. These birds eat lizzards, bugs and even rattlesnakes..therefore it would probably (in my opinion) be unlikely that they would eat Suet.
Also, when I was reading the things people have written..especially about feeding the deer..I wanted to remind people that attracting deer may also attract their predators. Think about what you are feeding the deer. If you are offering them greens, fruits and veggies.. fox, coyotes, and bears LOVE those things as well! Although it is great to see these critters out the kitchen window.. consider who else you may be attracting. This often opens new doors to people complaining about unwanted critters.. for example, the fox that you didn't mean to attract that is now running off with your chickens!
I cannot tell you how many calls I have gotten about people with skunks, raccoons and such nesting in/under/around peoples homes. Not all these people feed and intentionally attract these animals. However, leaving food out for your cat or dog may be part of this problem.
One other thought. Back where I came from Pox was a huge problem among squirrels. Now I hear that pox here is mainly seen in birds, and not so much in mammals. However.. Pox (DNR - Squirrel Pox) is one of the most painful and discusting problems among wildlife I have seen. It was a big problem back home because people feed squirrels. And.. its like the common cold. The more people (in this case squirrels) you have joining together, the more individuals getting sick. And the sad thing is.. it is hardly ever cured. Generally, critters with pox die from secondary problems (infections, etc.)
Ok, one last thought, I swear. I realize that the instances of rabies in NM is relatively low compared to elsewhere. And that is wonderful! However.. if we continue to attract wildlife towards human populated areas, how will we know when these animals are acting "un-natural" or hanging out where they shouldn't be if in good health?
I am a huge animal lover of all critters great and small. I, too, fight the urge to feed these critters. But looking at it from a conservational and ecological standpoint I manage to refrain.
Hopefully I was able to throw some good thoughts out there. I am not saying feeding these critters is "wrong, wrong, wrong".. I think its a catch-22, really.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:53 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,026,346 times
When we first came out, I did feed a road runner, ground round or t that time I did not have a screen door on the fromt door but had it open. So this guy wanted more, and walked in the house yelling at me for more. That did it, he got weaned of food. It was funny at the time, but I realized how it was not helping him.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 PM

*laughing* You fed him what?!?! I'm not sure I follow.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,225,947 times
Beef. Right?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,328,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
It is actually pretty gamie. Needs to be slow smoked to give it a nice flavor plus to keep it moist and tender. Low and slow is the key!!!
I have not tried the skunk, will leave that one for someone else!
My hick buddies back in wisconsin would know about dining on squirrels, possum, skunks, and racoons. I think I was told once that any and all of these are edible, you just have to par boil them first before barbqueing them.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:54 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,328,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
*laughing* You fed him what?!?! I'm not sure I follow.
I'd like to see a roadrunner trying to woof down a t bone steak, that would be a hoot.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I'd like to see a roadrunner trying to woof down a t bone steak, that would be a hoot.

Watching them take down a rattlesnake is much more exciting!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:37 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,253,974 times
Default Feeding Deer

I like to throw the deer some corn and watch them eat it in my back yard. The feed I buy says "Deer Corn" on the bag, so I just assume it is for the deer. Hmh!! Am I wrong?
Just a reminder I am only a New Mexican about 4-6 weeks a year. I am a desert rat from Tempe, AZ who thinks watching deer (and bear) in my back yard is really, really, really cool!!!

Last edited by JDTH; 04-06-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I like to throw the deer some corn and watch them eat it in my back yard. The feed I buy says "Deer Corn" on the bag, so I just assume it is for the deer. Hmh!! Am I wrong?
Just a reminder I am only a New Mexican about 4-6 weeks a year. I am a desert rat from Tempe, AZ who thinks watching deer (and bear) in my back yard is really, really, really cool!!!

No, you're not wrong but I guarentee they like fresh fruits and veggies far more. Plus, fresh produce has a higher water content!

I agree..I love to see these critters even though I am dealing with them every single day. Some people make the simply mistake of throwing the apple core or banana peel out the car window, too. People don't think its a big deal because the critters will eat it..its good for them, right? Well.. if you attract a squirrel to the apple...the squirrel attracks a golden eagle... and the eagle gets hit..and winds up in my care.... yesterday actually! Well, who knows if it was really an apple, but you get my drift. We have to think long term about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico