Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,216,496 times

Advertisements

What? You didn't like Iron Man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:57 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Unhappy What's Wrong With New Mexico Citizens?

Driving along a road yesterday on my way to Truth or Consequences, I see a tall grey haired man wearing a cowboy hat on the shoulder of the oncoming traffic. Beside this man is a woman sitting on the shoulder with her head hanging down. The grey haired man is waving his arms frantically, trying to get someone, anyone to stop, nobody does. I passed him by, and suddenly realized, there's something not right with this picture. I locked the brakes, and backed up to where he was standing and the woman sitting.

The grey haired man exclaimed, do you have a cell phone? I replied that I didn't, and asked what the problem was?

He said, this woman just ran off of the road in her car, and needs an ambulance. (couldn't even see the car, the dropoff was huge, into an arroyo)

I told the man I'd drive too Barr-2, and summon help.
I drove like a maniac to Barr-2, and asked people inside to call 911, and told them a car went off the road, and the driver needed help.

I don't know how long before I arrived at the scene the woman had run off the road, but it was very obvious that of all the cars and trucks that passed by when pulling up to it, that nobody wanted to stop. (at least 25 cars and trucks passed by)

Why are so many people in New Mexico this way? Why is it, that nobody is willing to stop and render some type of assistance? What is wrong with people in New Mexico?

I have been in similar situations in New Mexico, and once waited for 18 1/2 hours before anyone offered help.

I've lived and worked in many states, and have received assitance from many different people from all walks of life. I myself have rendered assistance to accident victims and to people whose vehicles had broken down.

Does anyone know? Is it because people these days are afraid to stop to help? Or is this just a New Mexico thing, because of some of the remote and desolate places here?

It truly irks me that people are so willing to pass by an accident and look the other way.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
It's not just a NM thing. It's everywhere. People are afraid to stop and help because it could be a scam to rob and/or kill you.
It's a shame it has to be this way but the safest thing to do is for you to call for help and let the pros handle it.
I'm hoping that the cars and trucks passing by did that and didn't just ignore the situation.
I'm all for helping people in these situations and I used to stop and offer assistance but I will not do it anymore because of safety. I will call the pros.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
It's not just a NM thing. It's everywhere. People are afraid to stop and help because it could be a scam to rob and/or kill you.
It's a shame it has to be this way but the safest thing to do is for you to call for help and let the pros handle it.
I'm hoping that the cars and trucks passing by did that and didn't just ignore the situation.
I'm all for helping people in these situations and I used to stop and offer assistance but I will not do it anymore because of safety. I will call the pros.
That's what I have a problem with, people drove past and ignored, and in broad daylight too. It is shameful.
Maybe I'll be shot and killed someday for stopping and offering assistance. My problem I guess.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Have a gun handy in case you need it.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Have a gun handy in case you need it.
No thanks, it's not my style, it doesn't fit me.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
I always try and help people. I have helped change numerous tires. I have given many people jump starts over the years. I have also been stuck out in the middle of nowhere and have gotten rides back into civilization. There are good people all over NM.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM

You guys are men so it's a little different. Not many are going to mess with a man but it's dangerous for a woman to stop, get out of her car and help.
I have stopped in the past but my trust of people is gone.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
Quote:
You guys are men so it's a little different. Not many are going to mess with a man but it's dangerous for a woman to stop, get out of her car and help.
I have stopped in the past but my trust of people is gone.

My wife is the same way as you are. I'm fine with that. I still trust people but I back it up with a 45.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:23 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
I am one of those who keeps a radio scanner on during the day and I can vouch for the fact that people DO take the pains to phone in when they see someone who may need assistance. So while it may appear that passing motorists are ignoring the situation, today's prevalence of cell phones means that very likely people are reporting such situations and relying on the proper authorities to sort it out.

In the incidence cited here, where it is just two people on the roadside and no visible evidence of an accident or why they are there, it raises suspicions of a setup. Too many tales of people willingly stopping only to be ambushed by someone waiting in hiding, or another such scam.

I could cite several unhappy incidences I personally experienced in my younger more naive days when I thought I was doing a good deed only to find out I was the victim!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico