Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Don't forget to howl tonight at the moon.
The winds of late have been doing that for me and last night was no exception. Gusts to 50mph at my house! Me, I'm "groaning!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,360,109 times
Winds are whistling here too.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,290,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBEA View Post
I lived in New Mexico for long enough to realize that people think of it as Mexico because it FEELS like Mexico. Very little diversity, more illegals than Mexizona (Arizona), very poor healthcare, unfriendly, callous people, an odd mix of the wealthy, very wealthy, poor, destitute and working class poor.

At least in New Mexico, from Deming to Taos, this was our experience.

On the good side, we lived with ONE person who was a friendly, lovely, hard working person. His girlfriend, a native to that area, agreed with my assessment of our experience there. Our experience between Silver City and Gila Hot springs was at least ok.....but we didn't live there. Faywood Hot Springs would have been an ideal place to work and live but for the owner. We hope some forward-looking, friendly entrepreneurs buy the place soon.
I was wondering where in Mexico you had been to, to compare it to New Mexico?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM

39 posts, read 151,040 times
There is no middle class in NM except in Albuquerque.You can get medical care in NM? I can't even get anyone to take my insurnace. I travel far to wish for medical care. I have no idea why I keep coming back here. I moved here for the climate and used to be cheap rent. Those days are over. I have never had good housing here in NM. Even NMHU are slum lords.NMHU is infested with roaches and they kick you out if you complaine about the lack of maintenance and cleanliness or bugs. I am looking for a new home but don't know where that is. The average rents are $1000 in most parts of the US. I only get $650 a month on social security. I lived on the resevation because I could afford the rent but that is dirt roads missing some utilities and putting up with drunk natives and wild animals.With these budget cuts I wonder if I will get a job when I get out of school here in NM or anywhere else.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,108 times
Default Tribulus terrestris

A dangerous and painful vegetation species in New Mexico. I can live without these. My dog is always getting these stuck in his paws.

Texas Toxic Plants (http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/plants/goathead.html - broken link)

Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
A dangerous and painful vegetation species in New Mexico. I can live without these. My dog is always getting these stuck in his paws.

Texas Toxic Plants (http://texnat.tamu.edu/cmplants/toxic/plants/goathead.html - broken link)
GOATHEADS (OUCH!!!)
As a kid growing up in El Paso, TX., going barefoot in summer months was an often painful experience - for people and dogs! And I was forever getting flats on my old balloon-tire bike from them. It's the dried seed pods that cause all the suffering - when they're green the head is more pliable and not as prone to puncture. The vines are distinctive and easy to avoid, but once the seed heads dry out and scatter they are nearly impossible to detect in the soil - until stepped on!

An aside: Mesquite thorns can puncture a car or truck tire! I had to replace a perfectly good tire when a single thorn punctured the sidewall because tire repair shops will NOT patch a sidewall puncture. It's against the law to do so, apparently.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
GOATHEADS (OUCH!!!)
As a kid growing up in El Paso, TX., going barefoot in summer months was an often painful experience - for people and dogs! And I was forever getting flats on my old balloon-tire bike from them. It's the dried seed pods that cause all the suffering - when they're green the head is more pliable and not as prone to puncture. The vines are distinctive and easy to avoid, but once the seed heads dry out and scatter they are nearly impossible to detect in the soil - until stepped on!

An aside: Mesquite thorns can puncture a car or truck tire! I had to replace a perfectly good tire when a single thorn punctured the sidewall because tire repair shops will NOT patch a sidewall puncture. It's against the law to do so, apparently.
Those rolly-polly sidewalls, they'll get you in trouble every time! In the good 'ol days, the treads and sidewalls were 4 plies, now, only the tread is 4 ply, and the sidewalls are a measley 2, but 4 rated! Where did we go wrong? making stuff cheaper, and not as good? I've seen discarded paper clips puncture sidewalls. But, thank goodness for tubeless tires on cars and trucks. But, check this out! I used to work in a truck shop years ago, and we used this company's products for tire repairs, and even fixed sidewalls with the plug/glue method (please don't tell anyone we did!) and their products work fantastic!

=- Welcome to Tech International :: Leader in Tire Repair Products -=
In a wikipedia description of goatheads, they say some part of the plant itself is good for sex drive while another part is poisonous? go figure, something good, and bad, from something we all learn to hate.

I wonder if anyone here has seen that movie, into the wild, I think that's the name, where some college gentleman/youngster goes north to alaska and ends up croaking from some plant/vegetation he ate?

I love new mexico, except for some plant species.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
I love new mexico, except for some plant species.
Wonder if a new thread is in order?

"YOU'RE MOST HATED NM PLANT?"

My vote would go to cholla cactus. The cholla grows densely in many areas of the grassy plains in central and south central NM. It's often referred to as "jumping cactus" or "jumping cholla" because just brushing against it can cause it to "jump" onto whatever brushed it - livestock or human. Once you get their tiny thorns in your skin, they itch painfully and can be the dickens to get rid of.

Of course ranchers probably would choose "loco weed."

Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,549 times
my nomination for hated plant would definitely be goat stickers. Stealthy devils.
I see my cat walk across our yard and stop to put his foot in his mouth to pull them out...he hardly even pauses when he does it. When I get one I hop around like a fool on a pogo stick lol

Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
my nomination for hated plant would definitely be goat stickers. Stealthy devils.
I see my cat walk across our yard and stop to put his foot in his mouth to pull them out...he hardly even pauses when he does it. When I get one I hop around like a fool on a pogo stick lol
They sure hurt like heck. You're funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico