Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 09:18 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,258,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
So if I went there would I burn more easily!!

If the sun rays are more dangerous at higher altitudes do you find higher proof sun screen at stores in the mountains?

The highest rating I can find is 50 and I use it all the time. It is supposed to hit 100 tomorrow for the first time this year. Holy crap!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,001,706 times
Quote:
Higher altitude less air to block Ultraviolet (UV) radiation which burns.

Less humidity out west, the moisture helps to also block UV, but also you will dehydrate because you won't sweat as much even though you are evaporating water from your body.

You are at about 5,000 feet above sea level here in ABQ. Sandia Mountain is about 10,000 feet. What is the elevation where you live?

Drink plenty of water.

Read this: Sunburn at High Altitude

Rich

Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,113,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
The highest rating I can find is 50 and I use it all the time. It is supposed to hit 100 tomorrow for the first time this year. Holy crap!!!!
I use 50 here

Good luck with 100!

We wont even make it out of the 40's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Higher altitude less air to block Ultraviolet (UV) radiation which burns.

Less humidity out west, the moisture helps to also block UV, but also you will dehydrate because you won't sweat as much even though you are evaporating water from your body.

You are at about 5,000 feet above sea level here in ABQ. Sandia Mountain is about 10,000 feet. What is the elevation where you live?

Drink plenty of water.

Read this: Sunburn at High Altitude

Rich
I live at an elevation of 857ft my town I live in the elevation varies from 780ft to 900ft.

Thanks for the information!

Good Morning everyone!

Old 04-21-2009, 06:02 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,031,649 times
I sure wish Gdude and I could send you all the rain we are having. I am at 600' right on the Mississippi River. 8 1/2 weeks till I am back at 7111' in Timberon. And we do not know where the sun is...

Old 04-21-2009, 06:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,727,254 times
Quote:

If the sun rays are more dangerous at higher altitudes do you find higher proof sun screen at stores in the mountains?
Yeap just like what others told you they sell all the different sunscreens here at the stores. I only use it on my face so the sun doesn't damage my face . But i don't use it anywhere else as i want to have high vitamin-D levels and the sun is the best source. Also there are certain foods you can eat that make their way into our skin cells and protect them from the UVA/UVB ray's which are tomatoes, broccoli, carrots and kale. Also green tea and olive oil is good taken internally as well as externally as i rub the oil all over me when i'm outdoors for a long time and it does soothe the skin.

I believe that of all the southern rim states in the USA from California going all the way over to Florida that New Mexico is the highest in average elevation.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:51 AM

7,400 posts, read 19,395,257 times
I was getting ready to mention not to use too much sunscreen as you want the vitamin D to get to you also but 6/3 beat me to it.

6/3- Have you found an olive oil that doesn't smell so much like olive oil?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,941,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I was getting ready to mention not to use too much sunscreen as you want the vitamin D to get to you also but 6/3 beat me to it.

6/3- Have you found an olive oil that doesn't smell so much like olive oil?
A cheap grade of olive oil doesn't taste or smell at all to me--unlike extra-virgin. I use Walmart's "light-tasting olive oil" for most cooking, along with coconut oil.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks Cathy.
I have the extra virgin at home I eat with.
I've never tried any of the other stuff.
Sometimes I use coconut oil on my hair for a conditioner and at times I've used it on my skin.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,941,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Thanks Cathy.
I have the extra virgin at home I eat with.
I've never tried any of the other stuff.
Sometimes I use coconut oil on my hair for a conditioner and at times I've used it on my skin.
Coconut oil is a good moisturizer...but if I use it on my legs, I have to put my jeans on...otherwise, the dogs follow me all over the house, trying to lick it off!!!

Yech!!!!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:26 AM

One of my dogs likes to lick the water off after showering.
Get out of here you crazy dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico