Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM

18,249 posts, read 25,912,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's snowing again in Alamogordo.......!
Was reading your paper online this morning Cathy-ya got snow flurries tonight to tomorrow morning. Bet you're having a good time with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,898,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I know how happy you are about that.
It's snowing here again too.
I hope you don't lose power again......that's rough.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Was reading your paper online this morning Cathy-ya got snow flurries tonight to tomorrow morning. Bet you're having a good time with it!
I can't quit staring at the mountains here that I thought I'd never get to see covered with snow.....! This is such a nice departure from the disgustingly perfect weather that is the norm.

The full moon on the snow the past two nights was just amazing.

Even worth the damage done to my poor sage! Have to get out and trim off the broken branches when it warms up.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,754,872 times
At 4:55 it was 19 degrees here on the Westside. I get the weather from Double
Eagle Airport about 3 miles west of me rather than the Sunport which is 20
miles away and in the valley. The temps, winds, etc. are often very different
between the Sunport and here.

Debbie says she heard one of the TV stations predicting below 10 degrees tonight..

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,361,140 times
It really wasn't all that bad except I was concerned about the food. We have a freezer on the side porch and that one did okay.
We took the food in the refrigerator and put it in a cooler on the porch also.
I had heard somewhere that if a refridgerator is kept mostly closed and not opened a lot, it will stay cold for 3 days. NOT !! The power went out Tues. morning and we had to transfer the food yesterday afternoon.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Yes, there is definitely a time limit on how long food will stay cold/frozen. The fuller a freezer is, the longer it will stay cold with only minor thawing.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,867,298 times
Look up Lister CS Diesel generators for some ideas on the coolest standyby gererators ever. Or just buy a 5 Kw Honda.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post

Debbie says she heard one of the TV stations predicting below 10 degrees tonight..
At my house in Ruidoso at 5:30am today (Friday), it is FIVE degrees F, and will get lower just before sunrise. It's 2F at the ranger station weather site slightly above my house.

Snow was extremely light yesterday and piled up to about 6-8 inches in town, with NUMEROUS calls for assistance as people slid off the road or simply came to a standstill because they couldn't move. A couple of mild snowless winters and everyone forgets what winter driving conditions entail.
Snow stopped before midnight but there is a chance for more before this system moves out of the area today. Another round forecast beginning Monday of next week!

Lest anyone think this unusual weather here - it's actually what USED to pass for a normal winter up until about a decade ago.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
At my house in Ruidoso at 5:30am today (Friday), it is FIVE degrees F, and will get lower just before sunrise. It's 2F at the ranger station weather site slightly above my house.

Snow was extremely light yesterday and piled up to about 6-8 inches in town, with NUMEROUS calls for assistance as people slid off the road or simply came to a standstill because they couldn't move. A couple of mild snowless winters and everyone forgets what winter driving conditions entail.
Snow stopped before midnight but there is a chance for more before this system moves out of the area today. Another round forecast beginning Monday of next week!

Lest anyone think this unusual weather here - it's actually what USED to pass for a normal winter up until about a decade ago.

Yes. I remember when we always needed chains to get to Ski Apache. I for one would like to see the real winters return, but I know a lot of people don't like it.

The thing I am most afraid of in weather like this is OTHER people who think they can go barrelling down the road as usual. They don't bother to adjust their driving conditions to anything but a dry road.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The thing I am most afraid of in weather like this is OTHER people who think they can go barrelling down the road as usual.
AMEN TO THAT!!! I had to drive across town this a.m. when the temps were at ZERO, so the snow pack on the roads was intact (no thawing yet). And you'd have thought it was ordinary dry black asphalt the way about half the drivers were traveling. Seems like here it's usually pickup trucks that feel they are invulnerable when in fact they are the worst for skidding around (two wheel drives).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico