Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:49 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,926,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
2 rhetorical questions:

So why does the gondola remain closed? Cost to operate/repair?

Why isn't the cam up?

I think that it's just plain weird. But maybe conditions really are good up there. It's snowing in Alamo, big fat flakes.... :-)

Been up yet?
Can't answer either of your questions since I no longer ski regularly. Maybe once my new knees are fully functional...

Last year, when the live cam at the ski area was functioning, I began getting a "virus intrusion" warning every time I tried to access it, so I gave up. Not sure if that has anything to do with it being offline now.

What I have heard about the ski area is that management has been flaky ever since the new Inn opened with an aggressive marketing team running the show. There have been several changes of management - most particularly at the ski area where they had a new manager every year for awhile. Not sure about this year. Maintenance has skidded along with rising indebtedness. The tribe failed to meet their debt obligations last spring on their $200 million loan and as far as I know, are still not meeting them. Just some clues as to what the crux of the problem MAY be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Can't answer either of your questions since I no longer ski regularly. Maybe once my new knees are fully functional...

Last year, when the live cam at the ski area was functioning, I began getting a "virus intrusion" warning every time I tried to access it, so I gave up. Not sure if that has anything to do with it being offline now.

What I have heard about the ski area is that management has been flaky ever since the new Inn opened with an aggressive marketing team running the show. There have been several changes of management - most particularly at the ski area where they had a new manager every year for awhile. Not sure about this year. Maintenance has skidded along with rising indebtedness. The tribe failed to meet their debt obligations last spring on their $200 million loan and as far as I know, are still not meeting them. Just some clues as to what the crux of the problem MAY be.

No...doesn't sound good at all.

But thanks for the information...*sigh*

I'll probably check it out after the holiday period is over and the hs/college kids have gone back to school. It will probably be crowded as all get-out with the good snow until after NYD.

The Apache have never been good at managing crowds up there.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

The Apache have never been good at managing crowds up there.
Word I'm getting is that the lift lines have been horrendous this past week. But this has long been true even when the area was running at 100 percent capacity. I personally have never attempted to ski here during the Xmas holidays, even when I purchased season passes.

Also, I've now learned that the wind damage from a severe storm in early December damaged both the gondola and chair #2 to such an extent that repairs are proving very problematic.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,483,623 times
Flurries in Corrales.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,908,759 times
Ski Apache web cam appears to be operational: http://12.96.197.152/sa-webcam

It's dark and looks like it's raining...

Rich

Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Word I'm getting is that the lift lines have been horrendous this past week. But this has long been true even when the area was running at 100 percent capacity. I personally have never attempted to ski here during the Xmas holidays, even when I purchased season passes.

Also, I've now learned that the wind damage from a severe storm in early December damaged both the gondola and chair #2 to such an extent that repairs are proving very problematic.

I have never skiied during peak holiday periods, either...or Spring Break. Just not worth it. And...not surprised about the long lift lines, especially with the fresh snow. It's a real nightmare up there, unlike most of the Colorado areas, which know how to handle crowds and capacity much better (IMHO).

Too bad about the damage to the lifts/gondola......as far as I'm concerned, the time to ski is Monday-Thursday......if I buy a season pass this year, I'll get a weekday one.

Cloudcroft opened recently, too, but it was also on a weekend.

No.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
Took them long enough to get it going again, didn't it? Thanks, Rich.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,256,383 times
The camera at Ski Apache has been working on and off since late November, but mostly off. I usually check it 3-4 times per day. It was working about 20% of the time, mostly in off hours. I think they were choosing the times to turn on the camera so we really didn't know what was going on. It has been absolutely packed the last few days, long lines from what I could see.

According to the radar on the Weather Channel site and Accuweather they could be getting some more snow tonight.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Rich
Looks to me as if they're recording at specific times and re-broadcasting this. IOWs it's not in real time? I see no time stamp so it's impossible to determine when the film was made. I have to download the film clip to my computer before viewing it, which is different from how other web sites play on my computer.

Pardon my distrust, but that's what goes on there today - misinformation outweighed only by no information.

For those who have any interest, the Ruidoso News (local paper) has a "Reader's Comment" forum that has some enlightening (or not) reader comment information on not only the ski area, but other newsworthy (or not) items in the paper. Plus people can simply begin a new thread as they do in these forums.

LAST NIGHT'S SURPRISE SNOW amounted to 3-4 inches at my house, which is in the vicinity of the Smokey Bear Ranger station for those familiar with Ruidoso. It's now just after 7am on New Year Eve morning and clouds are heavy, but broken, and snow is falling minimally off and on.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM

I noticed that either Windows Media Player or Winamp had to come up to play the download...:-(

Several of the comments are interesting. If they have never skiied anywhere but Ski Apache, they don't really know what a good resort is. I was hoping that it had improved in recent years, but I am apparently mistaken.

I'm reminded of why we quit going to Ski Apache in favor of Durango Mountain Resort/Purgatory/Wolf Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico