Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,876,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Unless you're in love. Of course, that's called gazing, isn't it.
I guess it depends are where you are...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM

107 posts, read 344,983 times
Life is what you make of it. I love living life in Abq. It has the perfect mix for enjoying a quality, safe, affordable life with easy access to the great outdoor adventures, other cities, healthy activities, the arts, different cultures, foods, religion, outstanding weather, architecture, history, investing, and so much more. If you take care of your business...it'll take care of you.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 19,198 times
Thanks everyone, for all the info. Santa Fe, in your opinion is Pojoaque Valley a welcoming community to outsiders? Based on this forum, Pojoaque seems like a place that offers a good balance between affordability, safety and tolerance- is this an accurate description? Also, pojoaque seems pretty close to Espanola, a town which has some fascinating history. Some on this forum seem to believe that Espanola is an unwelcoming place to newcomers, particularly Anglos- Would this be a place to avoid? It seems convenient for shopping and visiting if living in Pojoaque.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:33 PM

475 posts, read 1,269,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleymachine View Post
Thanks everyone, for all the info. Santa Fe, in your opinion is Pojoaque Valley a welcoming community to outsiders? Based on this forum, Pojoaque seems like a place that offers a good balance between affordability, safety and tolerance- is this an accurate description? Also, pojoaque seems pretty close to Espanola, a town which has some fascinating history. Some on this forum seem to believe that Espanola is an unwelcoming place to newcomers, particularly Anglos- Would this be a place to avoid? It seems convenient for shopping and visiting if living in Pojoaque.
Pojoaque Valley:

I would say it is welcoming to outsiders except that many people have lived here all their lives and have plenty of family and long-term friends around. So they will be friendly but not necessarily want to become a close friend. Our closest friends are a relatively new couple like us and another couple that have lived here 30 years but were not born here.

Incidentally, a problem for some is that in many places the housing tends to be mixed. A nice home or even an estate might be next door to a lot with a decrepit trailer or two. However there are areas where the housing is consistent. Generally and on very rough average the housing is best to the east in the traditional area of Nambe and in some portions of Pojoaque east of 84/285, then declines heading west through the rest of Pojoaque, Jacona, Jaconita, El Rancho.

Espanola

What aspect of the history are you interested in? I have visited Bond House a few times -- but you can do only that so often.

Yes, Espanola is convenient and I do a fair amount of shopping and eating there. Primarily my shopping there is at Loews, Walgreens and Walmart rather than any sort of local shop. The Espanola farmers' market is reasonable in season and IMO offers considerable more reasonable prices than Santa Fe or Pojoaque. For groceries we have started going to the Smith's in either White Rock or Los Alamos.

There a number of local owned restaurants up there in Espanola where we eat. However, I have gotten increasingly leery of going up there Friday or Saturday night to dine -- just because almost every time I'd go past a serious arrest -- a large vehicle stopped with a several guys being handcuffed and frisked by police from three or four cars. We are not talking speeding tickets here.

A lot of people up there are perfectly welcoming to Anglos and I (an obvious Anglo) went door to door canvassing in the last election with no problems and I know that Anglos live up there.

Whether you would want to live up there with the crime and drugs and alcoholism is another question however. I used to think all that was exaggerated and maybe motivated by prejudice. Now I am not so sure. There are least four Espanola policemen currently under investigation for felonies.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but you sort of get the feeling that government has broken down up there. I went once to report a stolen cell phone and it took four hours. I got sent back and forth between two different buildings like a yo-yo. Canvassing, you can go looking for say 113 Smith Street and find three of them -- two on one side of the street and one on the other.

I hope that helps.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 19,198 times
thanks for the information, Sante fe. When I come for a visit I will be sure to check out Pojoaque. As for Espanola, It seems like an ok place to go for stores, but not to live in. I only mention the history because their town website advertises Espanola as this great historical place steeped in tradition. I will be going to NM in April and will check out Rio Rancho, Pojoaque, Los Alamos, and Alamogordo in the south. i will let you all know my impressions. Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,269,136 times
Quote:
thanks for the information, Sante fe. When I come for a visit I will be sure to check out Pojoaque. As for Espanola, It seems like an ok place to go for stores, but not to live in. I only mention the history because their town website advertises Espanola as this great historical place steeped in tradition. I will be going to NM in April and will check out Rio Rancho, Pojoaque, Los Alamos, and Alamogordo in the south. i will let you all know my impressions. Thanks for all your help!
Good luck and do remember to let us know how it comes out.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,291 times
Default Nurses in ABQ

Moving to ABQ @ Nov-Dec. Could you tell my what is your typical assignment
on a medical-surgical floor at your hospital?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:49 PM

390 posts, read 953,822 times
Have lived here for 40 years and I like Las Cruces. It has a university and cultural events. I think the crime is less than you will find in other cities of similar size. Weather is good and so are the school systems. Good luck in your research! But, Las Cruces would be my choice.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:50 PM

390 posts, read 953,822 times
Nurse, what hospital are you asking about?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:56 AM

210 posts, read 408,810 times
Quote:
If you have time consider checking out Albuquerque. We moved there from a small midwestern community and the people are very friendly and helpful. It really does not feel like a large city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico