Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a Gun?
Do you own more than 1? 25 69.44%
Do you own more than 7? 5 13.89%
Do you own more than 12? 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 11:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,256,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'd hate to be defenseless if one of those criminals you mentioned got into my house.
The odds are slim to none that anyone will get into my house without permission where I live. We have many different levels of security that we use. None involve me owning a gun. I will just leave it at that.

Last edited by JDTH; 02-26-2010 at 12:13 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 AM

53 posts, read 122,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post

I understand the hunting, target shooting and protection part of owning guns, but as we all know guns get in the hands of criminals way too easy in this country. I really, really hope I will never have the need to own a gun. They cause so much carnage in the world that I think we would all be better off without them.
Eh people have been causing carnage since the beginning of time. Lack of guns will not change what is human nature only the nature in which humans kill.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 AM

312 posts, read 1,019,084 times
Quote:
The odds are slim to none that anyone will get into my house without permission where I live. We have many different levels of security that we use. None involve me owning a gun. I will just leave it at that.

I totally agree with you. The only reason I can see that I will ever need a gun is if I do not care about the safety of my kids/friends/kids friends etc etc ... and keep it loaded on my nightstand... with of course... having my dog trained to attack and making sure my ADT is up to date, and having bars installed on my windows.

I do think that having a dog and an alarm system is just smart....

I do not think having a loaded gun ... in an unlocked area (as in not locked up in a box/vault) is well thought out.

I grew up in the country and even my grandfather kept everyone of his fire arms locked up... BUT ONE... this one was kept near his chair in the livingroom.... like that would stop an intruder in the middle of the night when he is sleeping in his bedroom.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:23 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,218,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
I totally agree with you. The only reason I can see that I will ever need a gun is if I do not care about the safety of my kids/friends/kids friends etc etc ... and keep it loaded on my nightstand... with of course... having my dog trained to attack and making sure my ADT is up to date, and having bars installed on my windows.

I do think that having a dog and an alarm system is just smart....

I do not think having a loaded gun ... in an unlocked area (as in not locked up in a box/vault) is well thought out.

I grew up in the country and even my grandfather kept everyone of his fire arms locked up... BUT ONE... this one was kept near his chair in the livingroom.... like that would stop an intruder in the middle of the night when he is sleeping in his bedroom.
Excuse me? Are you assuming that just because there is a loaded gun in the house, that it is "unsafe" for everyone and automatically means a person doesn't care for the people they allow into their house?

Also, if you have kids, why would you keep a LOADED GUN ON THE NIGHTSTAND? If you're so concerned with safety, why not, you know, keep it somewhere a little safer during the day and then put it there at night?

Tip: Teach your children that guns are NOT TOYS, and familiarize them with one. Take them plinking with a .22. Make sure they know that they are not something to just wave around.

Responsible gun ownership > fearmongering.

Edit: Also, if you are so concerned about safety, why have a "dog trained to attack"? That's just as dangerous, if not more dangerous, than having a firearm in the house.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,256,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilJohnson View Post
Eh people have been causing carnage since the beginning of time. Lack of guns will not change what is human nature only the nature in which humans kill.
You are correct Phil, but without guns people will have to be more creative in their carnage.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
Quote:
You are correct Phil, but without guns people will have to be more creative in their carnage.
Don't read that much about drive-by bludgeonings, do we?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,218,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Don't read that much about drive-by bludgeonings, do we?
Samurai Swords to be Banned in UK - Offbeat News - InfoNIAC

Britain has banned guns and time and time again, it has been proven that banning guns doesn't really do much to stop people killing each other. Sure, large killing sprees are harder to do, but if a person is just killing one other person (most common) then to be completely murder free, we'd have to ban everything down to butter knives and forks and spoons.

Yes, spoons.

YouTube - HD PREMIERE! The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon by Richard Gale

Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Britain has banned guns and time and time again, it has been proven that banning guns doesn't really do much to stop people killing each other.
Bull-hockey.. Guns make it vastly easier and less risky to kill. I get so sick and
tired of this "Guns don't kill people" nonsense....

Go tell that to the people of Juarez or South Central LA.. see how far you get..

I am very far from being anti-gun, but I AM anti-BS. They're weapons, pure and simple.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM

74 posts, read 268,750 times
These are kind of rough but they speak volumes about an unarmed society.

Do you own a gun?-yardsign.jpg

Do you own a gun?-resistance.jpg

Do you own a gun?-germain.jpg

Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,292,356 times
I have three. A rifle, a handgun and a shotgun. I would probably like another handgun a little smaller than my .357 revolver but that would round it out. The fact they hold and usually increase in value is a definite factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico