Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,530 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering moving away from Austin. Not because it's terrible here, but with the influx of people coming in from the West and East coasts, it's getting too crowded, too expensive and it no longer has the feel of the home city that I grew up in. I'm considering NO, Memphis, Raleigh and Nashville at this point.

Currently, I live in the NO equivalent of the Garden District. Rents start at around $2400, but it's still possible to find a 600-sq. ft. efficiency for $1200, if it's in an older complex. Can I get something comparable in a relatively nice central neighborhood in NO? I'd definitely want easy access to downtown, but don't want to right in the middle of it.

Not interested in living in the 'burbs, BTW. Defeats the point of living in a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
Yeah, you'll be good. I think you can get a really nice 1 bedroom apartment Uptown for $1,000 a month if you look. More properties are becoming available which is driving down the rents citywide.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,482 times
I don't mean to hijack your thread, Melissa, but I've been meaning to ask this question too. I'm curious about what rents are like in the Faubourg Marigny neighborhood and other neighborhoods that have a large artist/musician community. Personally, I'm very frugal so size of apartments wouldn't matter much to me. Sorry again for posting in your thread, I just didn't want to fill up the NO forum with another topic asking the same question. If anyone wants to respond to me, feel free to reply in a message so I don't take over this topic. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:23 AM

48 posts, read 138,594 times
As a former resident of both cities, what, may I ask, is the Austin equivalent of the Garden District? Clarksville? Hyde Park? Barton Hills?

But back to your original question, rents aren't especially cheap in either place. From my experience, NO is a little cheaper, but the quality of rent houses/apartments available is below that of ATX. You'll pay a little less, but your place will probably be a little older/dingier. Also, you should consider that jobs (or well paying jobs, at least) might be a little harder to come by here than in Austin.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive34 View Post
As a former resident of both cities, what, may I ask, is the Austin equivalent of the Garden District? Clarksville? Hyde Park? Barton Hills?

But back to your original question, rents aren't especially cheap in either place. From my experience, NO is a little cheaper, but the quality of rent houses/apartments available is below that of ATX. You'll pay a little less, but your place will probably be a little older/dingier. Also, you should consider that jobs (or well paying jobs, at least) might be a little harder to come by here than in Austin.
Older is fine. The place that I lease now is not exactly in chipper condition, and that's okay. It's not large, either, but it's in the neighborhood that I want to live in. I'm not too concerned with size, age or amenities. The key selling point for me is location. But, I'm not sure how much has changed in NO since I was in college. Could be that some of the neighborhoods have changed since then.

I'm a writer (self-employed), so I can take my job anywhere. Just sharing ... Austin is not that great in the job department. Sure, there might have been more jobs created, but with the steady influx of people coming in from the NE and West Coasts, it's far from enough to keep everyone working. Paraprofessional jobs that used to pay quite well are minimum wage jobs now. Also, if you don't speak fluent Spanish, you're pretty much disqualified from most of them.

in response to your first question, Pemberton. I'm right on the cup of Pemberton where Clarksville begins, South of Enfield.

Last edited by Melissa78703; 07-22-2010 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 01:27 PM

268 posts, read 744,162 times
Haha, well it seems I can't escape you even though I "DOH'ed" over where you currently
were living. I thought you were recently out of NO and into Austin, but you are leaving, eh?
I am in Memphis and planning a possible jump to Raleigh, so pardon my planet, it keeps trying
to align with yours. Memphis is OK but the racial balance and attitude is a bit out of whack.
You'd do OK with a 750/mo rent here in Midtown, but since I can tell you do not want to burb it
your choices would be midtown and downtown on the river. You'd have ONE friend here if you
came, but would find many more very quickly. A lot of people like Memphis for it's true
vibe, just a lot of people to know and hang around. Raleigh is better for me because I am more
comfortable with a higher percentage of whites in the mix. Here it is heavily weighted to the
black side. Being from NO, I have no problem with RELATIONS per se, but i feel a little outnumbered
here and politically speaking, it can get testy. Interested to hear how your decisions develop.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
You'd do OK with a 750/mo rent here in Midtown, but since I can tell you do not want to burb it
your choices would be midtown and downtown on the river. You'd have ONE friend here if you
came, but would find many more very quickly. A lot of people like Memphis for it's true
vibe, just a lot of people to know and hang around. Raleigh is better for me because I am more
comfortable with a higher percentage of whites in the mix. Here it is heavily weighted to the
black side. Being from NO, I have no problem with RELATIONS per se, but i feel a little outnumbered
here and politically speaking, it can get testy. Interested to hear how your decisions develop.
Well, whites in Austin are a racial minority AND I come from Clarksville, so I'm accustomed to extreme racial imbalance. The politics can get dodgy in the blue spot in the red sea, as you mentioned; thankfully, we have the rest of Texas to balance out the screamingly irrational liberals. It's not like Austin will ever tow the knee-jerk liberal line, a la Seattle or Portland.

Raleigh has gotten a lot of kudos from friends who live there; they tell me that it has a vibe similar to that in Austin--but much smaller and less expensive. Brookings also gives Raleigh props as far as economic stability (Memphis and Nashville, too). NO came to mind because it was my first out-of-state experience, and many of the neighborhoods feel like mine, old and homey. Of course, in the summer it's like walking around in a damp incendiary device, but I can deal. I'm not sure how cold Raleigh and TN get in the winter--I loathe cold. Austin has that wonderful SoCal weather nine months of the year. Anything below 60 degrees F. is a NO.

But, it's great to know that there are other places where my dollar will go a lot farther. I anticipate that a lot of people will get priced out of Austin as more and more people relocate here.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:24 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Well, whites in Austin are a racial minority
say what?

Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
If you dislike liberals that much don't move here. Or Memphis. Or Nashville.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM

310 posts, read 854,905 times
New Orleans is the "blue spot in the red sea" of Louisiana. The entire city is incredibly liberal. The suburbs tend to swing right a bit more but they still can't be considered "red." If you can't stand liberals in Austin, then you're REALLY going to be frustrated with the liberals in New Orleans. Red or blue, Louisiana as a whole is widely known for very corrupt politics. New Orleans government is even worse with the mess the Nagin adminstration left behind, but I won't argue politics. My opinion: if an organized government is important to you, avoid anywhere in Louisiana. State government is bad, city governments are atrocious.

Last edited by Pook77; 07-23-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans