Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Diversity in New Orleans? N.O. is VERY black and white. As someone who's lived in a TRUE diverse city (Los Angeles, where there are huge numbers of people from all over the world)...New Orleans just can't compare in that dept.

Can't even rival Houston.
The demographics of New Orleans may be heavily black and white on paper, but when you're in New Orleans and the surrounding areas you see everything from Black and White, to Jamaican, Brazilian, Mexican, various types of Central Americans, Vietnamese, etc. Compare that to Cities that are "diverse" on paper like Houston where you only really see Mexicans and White people in large numbers or Atlanta where you only really see black people in large numbers. In order to find diversity in these cities you have to go find it and it usually is segregated into sections of town where you only see one ethnicity then you have to go to another side of town to see another unless you're in a major public area.

Another thing you have to take into consideration is that Whites in New Orleans have been observed to not generally identify themselves as "White/American" like those in the rest of the south, but usually French, Italian, Irish, etc.. like those in the Northeastern part of the country (according to the U.S. Census Bureau anyway). That alone offers diversity in the White demographic that you don't get in other parts of this region. Next Mexicans dominate the Hispanic demographic throughout the south and Los Angeles as well. Florida and Louisiana are the only two southern states to have a large variety of different Hispanics where Mexicans just happen to be the minority (and least tolerated) of the Hispanic population. That screams diversity regardless of what percent of the population they make up. Then you have to decern between Creole and Cajun influences, and then the Black peolple, mainly decending from Haiti and the West Indies vs. coming directly from West Africa is another thing.

New Orleans may not have the diversity in numbers or on paper at first glance, but when you pick them apart those small percentages contain a lot of variety. There may not be large amounts from people across the world, but the local demographics actually offer more variety than you would find in many places.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Diversity in New Orleans? N.O. is VERY black and white. As someone who's lived in a TRUE diverse city (Los Angeles, where there are huge numbers of people from all over the world)...New Orleans just can't compare in that dept.

Can't even rival Houston.
New Orleans is CULTURALLY diverse from hundreds of years of immigration.
New Orleans has been infused with the cultures of French, Spanish, German,Italian, American, African, Carribbean, Vietnamese, and more.
Although New Orleans is a white and black city, the different cultures among us are many. White doesn't always mean that everyone is a WASP.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:58 PM

21 posts, read 40,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
am I making sense?

Like Chicago is the NYC of the Midwest, and Los Angeles is the NYC of the West Coast, etc.
San Francisco is the NYC of the west coast (it has density and many buildings)
Chicago is the Paris of the Midwest (google plan of Chicago) but with density much like NYC.
Los Angeles is a suburb of itself

Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM

21 posts, read 40,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I've lived in Houston and New Orleans and have been to NY quite a few times.

Houston is nothing like New York and never will be.
I agree, I live here in Cleveland ups, i mean Houston! .... Actually Houston has a lot of cool things but it is just so damn spread out that it is more like Los Angeles but with trees and jobs!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
I am from New Orleans but now live in NY state. Growing up there in the 70's & 80's, I always heard Atlanta being called "The NY City of the South." Houston, to me, is basically one big Metairie (N.O. suburb).
What you mean to tell me Metairie has amazing scrapers stretching from every corner of the inner city? Wowwwww exsqueeze me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The demographics of New Orleans may be heavily black and white on paper, but when you're in New Orleans and the surrounding areas you see everything from Black and White, to Jamaican, Brazilian, Mexican, various types of Central Americans, Vietnamese, etc. Compare that to Cities that are "diverse" on paper like Houston where you only really see Mexicans and White people in large numbers
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO...Man please the honest truth is this. New Orleans has alot of historical diversity and the most historical diversity in the south. Where you have many different european ethnic groups,africans,cajuns,creoles that have lived in the city for generation after generation after generation. So even when it's black and white on sight you get alot of different cultures out of that black and white.

With that said Houston is not large in numbers when it comes to Mexicans and Whites. Because you see way more different ethnic groups,nationalities in Houston then you do in New Orleans. Times I've been to New Orleans and maybe saw Brazilian,different types of Central Americans,Jamaicans etc. they were tourist in the French Quarters. not residents. I saw the Vietnamese,but it's not on the level of Houston's viet. population not to mention Houston has more then just Vietnamese. And i'm pretty sure it's way more hispanic groups in Houston then Louisiana. I mean sounds like to me any brown person you saw in Houston you assumed they were mexican.

Why Houston has close to 2 mill mexicans, you also have a good size of over 20 plus thousand Ricans and 15 plus thousand of Cubans not to mention other Latino group consist of around 383,661. Not to mention I can speak on a heavy African,Indian,Arab,Pakistan,West Indian,Chinese, Vietnamese,etc. not to mention Houston's african american population has reached over 1 million..trust me fam Houston is the most diversied city in the south when were speaking actual immigrants from other countries. New Orleans already has it's own unique culture and historical diversity no need to belittle Houston with false info. lol@ Houston you really only see white and black. You mean N'orlins right..even if a good amount white residents of the N.O. look different then "normal" white folk on the surface N.O. looks like a black and white town. On the surface Houston in no way shape or form looks close to a white and brown town.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
LMAOOOOOOOOOOO...Man please the honest truth is this. New Orleans has alot of historical diversity and the most historical diversity in the south. Where you have many different european ethnic groups,africans,cajuns,creoles that have lived in the city for generation after generation after generation. So even when it's black and white on sight you get alot of different cultures out of that black and white.

With that said Houston is not large in numbers when it comes to Mexicans and Whites. Because you see way more different ethnic groups,nationalities in Houston then you do in New Orleans. Times I've been to New Orleans and maybe saw Brazilian,different types of Central Americans,Jamaicans etc. they were tourist in the French Quarters. not residents. I saw the Vietnamese,but it's not on the level of Houston's viet. population not to mention Houston has more then just Vietnamese. And i'm pretty sure it's way more hispanic groups in Houston then Louisiana. I mean sounds like to me any brown person you saw in Houston you assumed they were mexican.
Fact is the majority of Hispanics in Houston are Mexican, another fact is that the majority of Hispanics in New Orleans aren't. You can check out the Census or American Community Survey and see that nearly, if not every Hispanic group documented in Houston is also documented in New Orleans. 79% of Greater Houston's Hispanic population was estimated to be Mexican by the Govt. for 2009 where only 26% of Greater New Orleans' Hispanic population was Mexican. I didn't have to assume anything. That means for roughly every 10 Hispanics you see in Houston, 7 of them are more than likely Mexican.

Quote:
Why Houston has close to 2 mill mexicans, you also have a good size of over 20 plus thousand Ricans and 15 plus thousand of Cubans not to mention other Latino group consist of around 383,661. Not to mention I can speak on a heavy African,Indian,Arab,Pakistan,West Indian,Chinese, Vietnamese,etc. not to mention Houston's african american population has reached over 1 million..trust me fam Houston is the most diversied city in the south when were speaking actual immigrants from other countries. New Orleans already has it's own unique culture and historical diversity no need to belittle Houston with false info. lol@ Houston you really only see white and black. You mean N'orlins right..even if a good amount white residents of the N.O. look different then "normal" white folk on the surface N.O. looks like a black and white town. On the surface Houston in no way shape or form looks close to a white and brown town.
Houston as 2 million people total on paper. 5+ million in the metro. You're basically admitting that Houston is mostly Mexican, not to mention Metro New Orleans being around 30% Black is only 10% more Black than Greater Houston.

Now if we're discussing foreign immigration only then yes Houston is at the top of the list although the title of "most diverse in the south" is still arguable between Houston and Miami. My point is that there is more to diversity than how many foreigners a place has. Houston doesn't have too many more ethnic groups represented than New Orleans, but Houston does have much larger numbers for some and since it is 5x bigger it should. New Orleans on the other hand offers "diversity" on the local level that I've never experienced anywhere in Houston. In all seriousness, New Orleans is definitely not "Black and White". Visit cities like Memphis, Birmingham, etc. and then make that comparison.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Fact is the majority of Hispanics in Houston are Mexican, another fact is that the majority of Hispanics in New Orleans aren't. You can check out the Census or American Community Survey and see that nearly, if not every Hispanic group documented in Houston is also documented in New Orleans. 79% of Greater Houston's Hispanic population was estimated to be Mexican by the Govt. for 2009 where only 26% of Greater New Orleans' Hispanic population was Mexican. I didn't have to assume anything. That means for roughly every 10 Hispanics you see in Houston, 7 of them are more than likely Mexican.

Houston as 2 million people total on paper. 5+ million in the metro. You're basically admitting that Houston is mostly Mexican, not to mention Metro New Orleans being around 30% Black is only 10% more Black than Greater Houston.

Now if we're discussing foreign immigration only then yes Houston is at the top of the list although the title of "most diverse in the south" is still arguable between Houston and Miami. My point is that there is more to diversity than how many foreigners a place has. Houston doesn't have too many more ethnic groups represented than New Orleans, but Houston does have much larger numbers for some and since it is 5x bigger it should. New Orleans on the other hand offers "diversity" on the local level that I've never experienced anywhere in Houston. In all seriousness, New Orleans is definitely not "Black and White". Visit cities like Memphis, Birmingham, etc. and then make that comparison.
You stated that Houston is very white and mexican when that is far from the truth. You see way more diversity in Houston then you do in New Orleans. Like I stated at first glance if one were to visit New Orleans. Outside of French Quarter(as I have many MANY times) the real N.O. one would see nothing but BLACKS and WHITES. A few vietnamese here n there(I've been to baby Vietnam in the N.O.) a few and I mean very few hispanics. If one would come to Houston you would see a little bit of everything. Now you say the majority of hispanics in New Orleans aren't mexican. the largest hispanic population New Orleans has still isn't more then the less populated hispanic ethnic group in Houston. You know how many non mexican hispanics I meet in this city? I'm talking about everyday and it's not hard to walk and bump into one. You know how many Central America license plates I see in Houston?

Not to mention when were speaking city proper and metro in Houston it really doesn't matter because the burbs commute in between the city so often. On average I probably see more blacks and hispanics in Houston then I do mexican and white. and yes New Orleans is very different from Memphis,B-ham that's due to the mass immigration New Orleans use to boost 100's of years ago and New Orleans has still be able to perserve that culture and mix it into a big pot of gumbo which makes it really unique. No denying that. But to say Houston is white and mexican is far farrrrrrrrrr from the truth

Old 11-30-2010, 02:19 PM

91 posts, read 213,474 times
I'd say it's Atlanta, it even has an abundance of skyscrapers. But New Orleans is probably more famous than Atlanta.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
OK, back to the topic of this thread, please.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
I not from anywhere near this area, but in my mind I thought of New Orleans as the Boston of the South. When I think of historic American larger cities with a flavor all their own Boston, New Orleans and San Francisco come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans