Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,731 times

Advertisements

Hello!
This summer I'll be relocating from Pittsburgh, PA to NOLA for work, and I am looking at buying a house. I've been working with a realtor and she has sent me some choices to see what my budget will buy. There were a handful of choices in Mid-City, Fairgrounds, Freret, and Leonidas, but they didn't give me a warm and fuzzy (if a house has bars on the windows and door, I don't think I'll be paying a chunk of change to live in it). There were some lovely-looking homes within my budget in Metairie, but I'm concerned about the commute.
I'll be working in the Central Business District and I've checked out parking garage prices - much like Pittsburgh, there is no way I'd be able to pay to park everyday, so driving in seems out of the question. The bus system seems to fall a bit short for those not living near the CBD, too.

So I have a few questions:

Would it be reasonable to bicycle from Metairie to the CBD? (I can definitely do the distance, but I don't know how bicycle-friendly NOLA is)

Is there any kind of park-and-ride lot for the bus system?

Would it be feasible to walk from Metairie to a bus line? (it looks like it'd be anywhere from 2-3 miles. I can definitely walk that, but with sidewalks/etc., would it be do-able?)

Are there other transportation possibilities that maybe I'm not thinking of?

I'll be visiting NOLA in the next few months to get a better grasp on the area, but I'd like to do some research now and use my visit as efficiently as possible.
I'm not settled on Metairie, but it looks nice - I'd be able to have a yard (yay, gardening!) and a nice-sized home. I'm a bit of a homebody and outdoorsy, so I am a-ok not being near clubs/bars/etc. That said, if anyone can suggest other neighborhoods to look into and/or avoid, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!!
Robyn
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,454 times
Why do you have to buy immediately? Please don't. New Orleans is a complex place and it might take you some time to find out where you really want to be. I would reccommend you rent for the first 6m/yr.

If you're even entertaining the idea of biking or taking public transportation to work (especially downtown) DO NOT go out to Metairie! Metairie is hardly pedestrian friendly let alone bicycle friendly. It is a very car-oriented environment that is not conducive to riding.

There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in New Orleans that are in better biking distance and have access to better transit. Plus, if you choose to drive, your commute will be MUCH easier than if you were in Metairie. The bus system in Jefferson Parish is woeful to say the least.

The best transit is going to be near Magazine St. or St. Charles Ave. The closer to Audubon Park, the safer it is. Magazine has a bus and St. Charles has the streetcar and both are pretty frequent.

Look at Mid-City close to Canal St between Jeff Davis and City Park Ave. The Canal streetcar can get you downtown and is also pretty frequent.

Look at Broadmoor and Fontainbleu. The Claiborne bus can get you downtown and it has a more suburban feel (bigger lots) than the older neighborhoods.

Gentilly is another suburban type area that's further out but it has number of bus lines that can get you downtown.

If you're really paranoid about safety, look at Lakeview. You can take a bus/walk/ride to the end of the Canal Streetcar and take that downtown.

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...w-commute.html

Old 03-14-2012, 05:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Forget the bike from Metairie. It would be taking your life into your hands, seriously. Then there's the heat, humidity, and rain to contend with. Rent as suggested, learn the city and where you would like to be, then look at houses to buy. I lived in Metairie for 30 yrs and there is no way you can get anything done, shopping, entertainment like movies, etc., without a car.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 PM

358 posts, read 710,872 times
Lots of people bike along the levee that runs from the southeast corner of Metairie, into uptown/Audubon Park. It's a quick ride to that area, but then you'd be faced with a long haul to the CBD, and wouldn't be a very bike-friendly route.

I really think mid-city should offer something for you, or like someone else mentioned, Lakeview. There are some new builds in Lakeview.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:06 AM

24 posts, read 120,110 times
Homeowners insurance, flood insurance is crazy high right now - get quotes before putting any offers down on a property. Many companies are not writing new policies right now. I do suggest renting to get a feel for the area before you buy to make sure you like the neighborhood & neighbors.

I recommend mid-city ( between N. Jeff Davis - City park ave and - orleans - canal st ) and you can use the street car to get downtown. Its $1.50 fare each way

Or you could move to Jefferson near the mississippi river and bike on the paved levee to magazine st

Old 03-16-2012, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,731 times
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies and suggestions - looks like I have quite a bit more thinking to do!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,226,083 times
The streetcar/bus is 1.25 one way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans