Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times

Advertisements

I left New Orleans recently because of the rising cost of home ownership. Homeowners insurance increasing yearly, property tax increasing yearly, water and sewerage bill growing steadily and are forecast to double in a year. Not unusual for two people to have a $120.00 water bill each month with no pool or hot tub. City services are sloppy and resistant to improvement. The city is a wonderful place for wealthy people to live, they can go to the country clubs, have their children in expensive private schools, eat in fine restaurants, go sailing or golf or tennis and generally chum around with similar people. The city is polarized by race and that is keeping the progress to a slow pace.
In a word; poor management but great potential in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
I can't wait till New Orleans is mentioned in the top upper echelon southern cities Dallas, H-Town, ATL, Miami. To be honest I feel like we should already be there but its all good. I have said it once and I'll say it again I truly believe NOLA is a sleeping GIANT, we just need to stay focused on the right things that will make us a WORLD CLASS CITY.
Those cities are all significantly bigger, like 4 times. Right now we're more on par with Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Those cities are all significantly bigger, like 4 times. Right now we're more on par with Birmingham, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, etc.
The question you have to ask yourself is why are those city four times the size of New Orleans when New Orleans were there equal forty years ago. Is the city still racist, I believe it is-maybe it can be like Atlanta too big to hate??? The city needs marshall law to handle its crime problem- Gen Honore and then the city will really take off bc so many people I know want to move there but this caveat keeps them from doing so

Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The question you have to ask yourself is why are those city four times the size of New Orleans when New Orleans were there equal forty years ago. Is the city still racist, I believe it is-maybe it can be like Atlanta too big to hate??? The city needs marshall law to handle its crime problem- Gen Honore and then the city will really take off bc so many people I know want to move there but this caveat keeps them from doing so
You keep demanding all these grandiose fixes, all of which oversimplify things. Instead of demanding these things of us, why don't you write a letter to the city, or a congressman, or the mayor?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Yes declaring Marshall Law in New Orleans would be great national news, and perfect for the hospitality industry, the film industry, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
Got love Terry and her/his solutions for NOLA.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM

Hey, I am just tired of the greatest city in the South being a second tier. NOLA always was the bride, now it is down to the flower girls

Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM

See link attachments below for the type of development that I hope Tulane Ave and developments along the river will become.

WWW.THETOWNCENTERATLACANTERA.COM
www.eilan.com

With a Creole, Sicilian, African American, Irish and German motiff

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
Default New Orleans Return

In truth, New Orleans was the queen city of the south at one time but for a variety of reasons- all political and man made, New Orleans is way, way behind Mobile, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, even Baton Rouge. For that matter Gulfport and Biloxi Mississippi once sleepy communities on the Mississippi Sound are now much improved and growing steadily. For New Orleans to succeed it must not rely solely on tourism and must quickly continue to move forward on establishing a strong medical district instead of quaint eating places and music clubs. At one time the money was made with the port and the river but now we are far behind the other gulf coast cities. Even the Ship Channel that was dug at the cost of millions in tax dollars to make the route upriver easier never did succeed. Too many lost opportunities. Second line dancing is no substitute for real advancement but it looks good on ads. New Orleans, get a grip, move ahead, remember the past too but the past will not move the city ahead.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
In truth, New Orleans was the queen city of the south at one time but for a variety of reasons- all political and man made, New Orleans is way, way behind Mobile, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, even Baton Rouge. For that matter Gulfport and Biloxi Mississippi once sleepy communities on the Mississippi Sound are now much improved and growing steadily. For New Orleans to succeed it must not rely solely on tourism and must quickly continue to move forward on establishing a strong medical district instead of quaint eating places and music clubs. At one time the money was made with the port and the river but now we are far behind the other gulf coast cities. Even the Ship Channel that was dug at the cost of millions in tax dollars to make the route upriver easier never did succeed. Too many lost opportunities. Second line dancing is no substitute for real advancement but it looks good on ads. New Orleans, get a grip, move ahead, remember the past too but the past will not move the city ahead.
New Orleans, right now, is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. And the medical district is under construction. The real situation here is much better than what a lot of these ideas would produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans