Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 03:50 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
I like NO but why anyone would leave Austin for NO is beyond me. You can always visit NO if you want to taste the culture every now and then. Now, if you were leaving a city like Tulsa or Kansas City for NO, then I'd get it. But Austin? That makes no sense without a very compelling reason, especially with NO's current real estate situation (hint: very overpriced for what you get).

Assuming you're not a 22yr old alt-country musician, what makes Austin that much better?

(I like Austin, a lot, I've been there many times and could easily live there..But I never really understood the Austin fanatics.)

(The desirable neighborhoods in Austin are no less overpriced than anywhere else. I've noticed when people talk about Austin real estate being cheaper, they're talking about a bland area a half hour away in miserable traffic from the cool, hip neighborhoods. And then they use those prices to compare to expensive areas like the French Quarter.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:24 AM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
I thought Austin was utopia . Can't imagine anybody wanting to leave .

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM

643 posts, read 977,527 times
No place is perfect, I dont care how much a person raves over where they stay

Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 PM

806 posts, read 876,366 times
For the record , I was being sarcastic .

Old 01-30-2014, 08:50 AM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
I have lived in both. In New Orleans, go to the Westbank. Get a place in Aurora if you can. You will love it.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
I have lived in both. In New Orleans, go to the Westbank. Get a place in Aurora if you can. You will love it.
The OP wants to be in the city, not the Westbank.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The OP wants to be in the city, not the Westbank.
Initial post, yes. But then:

"Wow. You guys are really helpful. I've done some research already, I'll do some more with the above suggestions. May be open to the idea of living 15-20 minutes away from the city proper if we can get a nice little house with a yard.

Any other suggestions? Neat towns?

Thanks again."

The Westbank is part of New Orleans. It is part of the city. We were true-blue Yats and we lived on the Westbank first in Old Algiers and then in Aurora.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM

Mmm. I would chose Metairie over the Westbank.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:27 AM

28 posts, read 30,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolaballa View Post
I like NO but why anyone would leave Austin for NO is beyond me. You can always visit NO if you want to taste the culture every now and then. Now, if you were leaving a city like Tulsa or Kansas City for NO, then I'd get it. But Austin? That makes no sense without a very compelling reason, especially with NO's current real estate situation (hint: very overpriced for what you get).
I'm leaving Austin for New Orleans because the latter simply offers everything the former doesnt when it comes to smaller cities. The music is better, the food is better, the people seem nicer. I cannot stand how dry and hot central Texas is and Austin just has not been that welcoming of a city for a young black man in my opinion. I'm also a jazz musician (I sing and play the keys & drums) and Im sure New Orleans has an obvious edge there. Neither city has the beautiful trees and four seasons I grew up with in Arklatex.

Maybe if I lived in Houston or Dallas someplace I'd be less anxious to leave, but Ive been in Austin since 2008, I am ready to leave and it just so happens that New Orleans is the next city that has captured my heart.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuorleansbound View Post
I'm leaving Austin for New Orleans because the latter simply offers everything the former doesnt when it comes to smaller cities. The music is better, the food is better, the people seem nicer. I cannot stand how dry and hot central Texas is and Austin just has not been that welcoming of a city for a young black man in my opinion. I'm also a jazz musician (I sing and play the keys & drums) and Im sure New Orleans has an obvious edge there. Neither city has the beautiful trees and four seasons I grew up with in Arklatex.

Maybe if I lived in Houston or Dallas someplace I'd be less anxious to leave, but Ive been in Austin since 2008, I am ready to leave and it just so happens that New Orleans is the next city that has captured my heart.
Pine trees? Nah. Cypress and old dangling Oaks? Ohh yes. I prefer the mystique the Oak trees give off. There are pine trees on the northshore though.
Texarkana is hardly four seasons, moreso than New Orleans but I don't think many people would consider anywhere in Texas or southern Arkansas as a four seasons climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans