Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:14 PM

660 posts, read 1,006,110 times

Advertisements

Well Hawaii4evr you make me want to move to NOLA NOW! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I thought the Sabal Palmetto is native to New Orleans? And when I lived there, I never saw rats or parrots in the palms. I wish I saw the parrots, but the rats--eww.

Anyways, I'll give you my thoughts. NOLA is a great city. I actually loved the weather, though winter was cooler than I thought it would be. However, since you're from Buffalo, you'll probably think it's balmy, lol. Anyways, as far as the weather goes, a lot of nice tropical monsoons in the summer, warm nights, the cicadas "chirping" is magical, and of course, the spring bloom. Weather is perfect in spring and fall, for the most part--moderate humidity, warm days, pleasant and mild nights. And an even mix of rain and sunshine.

I went to Loyola University New Orleans last year. The nightlife in NOLA is fantastic, as is the food! The people are really warm and friendly, for the most part. It's a very charming and historic city with a lot to do, and easy to get around on foot! As for the public transit, I found that the streetcar sufficed. It can be late sometimes because the drivers are "on Nawlins time", but it's cheap and efficient. And I noticed that everyone seemed to take the streetcar--no matter what race, socioeconomic status, where they were from...and it was cool to take the oldest streetcar system in the world just to get downtown. Also, it's great if you're drunk and need to get back home (since obviously drunk driving is a big no-no).

There are sketchy and poor areas for sure, but I think people exaggerate this. That said, the Garden District/Uptown area is probably the best in the city.

As far as AZ goes, it's beautiful. But I think it's too dry and the summers there are even hotter than NOLA. In addition, it's very sprawling and you need a car to get around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 03:26 PM

136 posts, read 200,244 times
Believe it or not, Louisiana had thunder snow last year!!! Once and in the northern part of the state. We had NO IDEA that was possible!

Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I lived in Seattle for 13 years and didn't own a car for 9 of them; I walked everywhere (even in the pouring rain) or took mass transit. I loved it. Even in Buffalo I live in a very walkable part of the city and often leave my car at home; besides walking to coffee-shops and restaurants and to get groceries, I like taking long walks and looking at architecture, taking pictures etc. That said, I suppose I could get used to driving more, or driving to areas to take my long "exploratory" walks. I enjoy the desert too; been to AZ and NV and SOCAL a lot, and I agree that it's beautiful and the air is lighter. Oh, and we have "thunder snow" here in WNY! Haha!
I hear you, I'm from Toronto as I mentioned, the weather is very similar to Buffalo NT, and I've also lived in Victoria BC which is similar in weather to Seattle. It's the intense heat is that makes it harder to walk around on foot in AZ (we even have drive up banking) and possibly in New Orleans (I don't know that for sure though).

I love walkable neighborhoods and what you describe sounds lovely. I look forward to seeing how you like it if you move there.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,202,751 times
I forgot to mention walking in the heat; a few days out of the summer in NOLA, you'll either want to be at the pool or staying inside during the afternoon. But despite the heat, it really isn't that bad (as long as you wear deodorant and stay hydrated). The summers down South aren't so different than those in the Northeast--a tad hotter with a bit more humidity, but it's not that noticeable. Also, the monsoons come almost everyday, and that provides some relief of mugginess and heat.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Heat!

I'd not be concerned about the heat at all -- we had hot and humid Summers in Pennsylvania growing up and I loved it. I've also gone to Key West in August, and Palm Springs and Las Vegas in July and also love that!

I would MUCH rather be too hot than too cold.

Quote:
I forgot to mention walking in the heat; a few days out of the summer in NOLA, you'll either want to be at the pool or staying inside during the afternoon. But despite the heat, it really isn't that bad (as long as you wear deodorant and stay hydrated). The summers down South aren't so different than those in the Northeast--a tad hotter with a bit more humidity, but it's not that noticeable. Also, the monsoons come almost everyday, and that provides some relief of mugginess and heat.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM

Then with that out of the way, it certainly seems like you'd have no problem living there. It's also beautiful--subtropical plants growing everywhere, lol. I'm also a lover of heat & humidity.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times
THe palmetto is native to the surrounding swamps, but the big ones like on Carrollton Ave. are imports. As far as weather, it was in the 70s as recently as last week.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:05 PM

Yeah--New Orleans often gets a few warm days in the winter/late fall (warm being 70F and above).

Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Paradise! :-)

That sounds like paradise . . . it was 37 degrees here today, and we just had snow. Ugh!

Quote:
Yeah--New Orleans often gets a few warm days in the winter/late fall (warm being 70F and above).

Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 PM

An apartment like this would be EXACTLY what I was looking for . . .

https://neworleans.craigslist.org/apa/4788920429.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans