Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

11 posts, read 30,346 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Pook77.

Would you or anyone else happen to know what it's generally like traveling the Huey Long Bridge say between 6-6:30AM and 4:00-4:30PM during the week?

There's a website dedicated to that project, but it's hard to get succinct information like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:59 PM

104 posts, read 476,765 times
I was in your position and ended up in st tammany; you will really have to visit the houses and neighborhoods to get a feel for them. fwiw, there has only been one bridge closing this year when some idiot drove into the lake. much of western st tammany (mandeville, covington) is much higher ground than the "river" parishes you've mentioned. don't discount how much you will have to pay to insure the house (sounds like you're buying), as it can be huge, as in $5000 or more
the drive across the causeway does kind of suck, but it's probably no more than 10 minutes more than the places you mentioned when there is no traffic and I would bet less than that with traffic (the good thing about the causeway is once you're on the bridge, there are no more people merging on). although they are getting ready to do a 2 year construction project at the south end of the causeway that will add time. I get the feeling that quality of life is better in mandeville (shopping, etc), and in general, it's a more wealthy area than the river parishes--these are totally "impressions" though, you'll have to do your own fact-finding. I wouldn't completely rule out slidell or even metairie/kenner either. I just went through this, and it's just a bear. find a good agent (but even the best will have their bias for a given area, usually the one they live in or most often represent)

Old 12-21-2010, 12:07 PM

145 posts, read 625,522 times
JWare,

You sound a lot like me just 6 months ago. We were involuntarily moved due to a job transfer, and I had all the same concerns about housing, safety, and education. We'll, we've been here now for almost 2 months. Let me put your mind at ease, it's not as bad as it seems from the outside. So, we probably won't be buying a house in the city, but Eastbank Jefferson Parish seems like a good fit for us. I live in far west Metairie & work in the CBD, and the commute on I-10 really isn't that bad. I've lived in Austin, Houston, & Dallas, so I've seen bad traffic. On I-10, getting to work in the AM (20-25 minutes) is easier than getting home in the PM (30-45 minutes). However, compared to the Northshore, there are plenty of alternate routes to get around in case the interstate is too bad (Earhart Expressway, Huey P., W. Napoleon, Veterans, Jefferson Hwy, Airline). The shopping, dining, and nightlife offer way more than what you find on the Northshore.

I don't have kids, so I don't know about the schools, but I haven't heard much complaining about Jeff Parish schools. The houses are more affordable than the city, but I don't think you get as much land as on the Northshore. Plus, I think there is more new construction on the NS. If my husband worked on the Westbank, that's where I would really want to be, as you get way more for your money over there.

I would suggest renting before buying. This gives you a feel for the region and how things flow. You'll find that traffic isn't so bad and the crime not so scary (if a place looks sketchy, it probably is, so get out). Insurance is sky-high, nothing you can do about that.

Despite it all, I'm glad that we came here, albeit kicking & screaming. There's plenty to do, lots to eat & drink, and the people are pretty interesting. We've especially enjoyed being here during the holidays. People pay good money to visit here, and I get to see it for free. One of my resolutions for 2011 is to take the time to really experience New Orleans.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:34 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
How long must someone be here before a critical opinion is valid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
4 years, 7 months, 1 week, 5 days, 14 hours, 33 minutes and 58 seconds
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointykitty View Post
Well, I'm marking my calendar 'cause I'm still gonna be here! ;-)
Congratulations, you made it!

Actually, I'm just researching Metairie, and found the thread interesting. But, that was interesting too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans