Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM

10 posts, read 41,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenityy View Post
I HAve 2 questions. I went to see my 1 bedroom apartment for nycha didn't get to move it yet because they have to repair stuff what's the waiting process i went to see the apartment on April 29 i gave in my first months rent & deposit on May 3 how long i have to wait for them to give me my keys ?? & i also told them i am pregnant & already have a daughter that's going to be 3 years old soon when can i get a 2 bedroom ???

Well there's really no way to tell. Which Borough is your development in? I saw my 2 bedroom apt on April 11th. I paid my deposit and completed the paperwork the same day. I was told that it would take about 4 weeks for the repairs to be completed, then he changed it to 4-6 weeks as I was leaving. I called in 4 weeks and they were still working on the apartment. They also said it may be another 3 weeks or so and that I'm looking towards the end of this month to move in. When I applied for housing I was approved for only a one bedroom because my daughter was under 5-6. I'm currently 8 months pregnant with my first son and my daughter will be 7 in August. My daughters age is what made me qualify for the 2 bedroom. Nycha does not make any adjustments or accommodations for pregnancies, the baby must be born. Either way you'll probably still have that 1 bedroom for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,894 times
ive gotten approved for a 2 bedroom apartment in Throggs Neck houses i paid first month rent and security on march 26, 2018 when i called april 26 they said they where working on the lead paint today is may 26th and still the same thing. when the apartment is ready they will call me. i need to know whats the longest someone waited for and emergeny transfer when they looked at an apartment that wasnt even ready too move into at all

Old 09-30-2018, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,682 times
Is anyone waiting after paying first month rent and deposit I've been waiting a month

Old 11-21-2018, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,687 times
Me and my husband waited 14 moths to get a letter stating we were selected. We were told to come in a few days later that day we saw the apartment and were told to sign a lease and bring in the first and security for days later. We rushed to give in every cent we had saved for this we were told that it would take four to six weeks for renovating to be done. After one month to the day I gave our money I called and was told that the apartment was one of several being renovated and she couldn’t even tell me if the apartment was being renovated. I called two weeks later and told the same thing when I asked if she could go over to check as she is my case worker she said she couldn’t. Further more she could not even call to see what renovations were being done. When I stated that we had given our thirty days notice already and would be homeless, I was told that they couldn’t do anything but if o wanted my money back she was glad to refund me. When I stated that I didn’t want a refund she said I would have to wait and again I asked for someone to go over. She responded very aggressively and stated that she would be in the building the following week and would make it her priority to check on the apartment. I had my husband call the following week and she said the bathroom was done and we were waiting on the carpenter to change some doors. It is now three months later and again no information instead my husband is told they have no more funding when my husband asked to speak to a supervisor he was told to call back. My husband has called countless days either the supervisor was out or he would be transferred instead told by whoever answered the phone that we would be called when the apartment was ready. My husband in his frustration said he would get a lawyer involved was told that was his right and was not transferred. When I called back a women answered and I asked for a copy of the lease we signed was told that it was t a lease and I could not get a copy of anything I signed. This has to be the most absurd thing I have ever experienced my husband and I have always been pleasant when we called because we understand that the workers probably deal with a lot of people. But to be told that we just have to wait and if not we could pick up our money is so disgusting. When we signed that lease we were told if we needed anything to call and when we do it’s a run around. I suggest anyone that applies and sees an apartment that you please make sure you have a place to stay at least six months because “renovations” can take for ever and you will never get a straight answer.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,380 times
Does anyone know how much time nycha gives you to bring in the deposit and rent. Also how long does it take to get the keys to apartment after lease and payments made-stapleton houses, staten island ny. Seeing apartment Monday may 20,19. It's for my daughter

Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 AM

10 posts, read 33,291 times
My family and i was selected for an apartment in manhattan, the letter states we have to contact the development in 7 days, or we will go back on the waiting list. I called the development and was told the place is not available to see, and we have to wait. We only have have 3 days left , and no one has called us to see the apartment yet. What should i do? I don't want to lose the apartment. Its a 3 bedroom in manhattan. We only waited 2 weeks to get it. We was told that, if we go back on the waiting list, the wait can be anywhere from 1 to 3 years before was are selected for another one

Old 08-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustrated new yorker View Post
me and my husband waited 14 moths to get a letter stating we were selected. We were told to come in a few days later that day we saw the apartment and were told to sign a lease and bring in the first and security for days later. We rushed to give in every cent we had saved for this we were told that it would take four to six weeks for renovating to be done. After one month to the day i gave our money i called and was told that the apartment was one of several being renovated and she couldn’t even tell me if the apartment was being renovated. I called two weeks later and told the same thing when i asked if she could go over to check as she is my case worker she said she couldn’t. Further more she could not even call to see what renovations were being done. When i stated that we had given our thirty days notice already and would be homeless, i was told that they couldn’t do anything but if o wanted my money back she was glad to refund me. When i stated that i didn’t want a refund she said i would have to wait and again i asked for someone to go over. She responded very aggressively and stated that she would be in the building the following week and would make it her priority to check on the apartment. I had my husband call the following week and she said the bathroom was done and we were waiting on the carpenter to change some doors. It is now three months later and again no information instead my husband is told they have no more funding when my husband asked to speak to a supervisor he was told to call back. My husband has called countless days either the supervisor was out or he would be transferred instead told by whoever answered the phone that we would be called when the apartment was ready. My husband in his frustration said he would get a lawyer involved was told that was his right and was not transferred. When i called back a women answered and i asked for a copy of the lease we signed was told that it was t a lease and i could not get a copy of anything i signed. This has to be the most absurd thing i have ever experienced my husband and i have always been pleasant when we called because we understand that the workers probably deal with a lot of people. But to be told that we just have to wait and if not we could pick up our money is so disgusting. When we signed that lease we were told if we needed anything to call and when we do it’s a run around. I suggest anyone that applies and sees an apartment that you please make sure you have a place to stay at least six months because “renovations” can take for ever and you will never get a straight answer.
did you move in yet? I ask because my family and i go this monday, to give first month rent, & security, and sign the lease. We seen the apartment, it clearly need work.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM

My family and i go this monday, to give rent, security, and sign the lease. Now we have to wait for them to fix the apartment. Not sure how long that will take. Does anyone have a rough estimate time frame?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:58 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,932,431 times
Keep on waiting for NYCHA like the rest of the residents!

Old 02-06-2021, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,498 times
I'm getting really annoyed with NYCHA, I was chosen for an apartment at Meltzer Houses in the East Village, transferring out of Vladick Houses, this was in November 2020, they gave me two week to give them the money, it's now February 2021 and no apartment, office said don't call us We'll call you when apartment is ready, I've reached out to my City Council and they are looking into the problem, next I call the press, NYCHA is already know as the worst landlord in the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery