Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 12:34 PM

131 posts, read 338,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg8215 View Post
Hey Soontobe,

I don't think you can gauge how many apartments have been offered by this message board. There were a few thousand applications but there are only a dozen or so people posting here. 2 people on the board have posted getting through the process, but you have to assume almost all the people going through the interview process don't post here.
Hi mg8215,

I agree with you, I took that into account, but just 2 weeks ago 108th st said they told him he would be the first buyer because so many ppl were dropping out for various reasons. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see a whole lot of the apartments taken up in 2 weeks. but anything is possible. bottom line it's still a waiting game, and we will just have to wait and see. I was supposed to get a call @the end of July, but I didn't even bother to call them based on what I am seeing on here. so we wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM

184 posts, read 334,299 times
Just because 1/2 have been potentially offered to cb11 doesn't mean that relates to an actual sale. Another poster stated all the studios were still available. So no one knows which units have been sold, offered and rejected. Another 3 weeks for non cb11 applicants. Grrrrrr!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 44,506 times
Hello All!
I just got the call for the second appointment today. Apparently i will have to choose a unit this week and I will pick up my offer package. I am so excited. 108th we might end up being neighbors!!!!
As I mentioned earlier, I am one of the last CB to be chosen, not the last but that might mean that they are finishing the CB11s and will probably move on to other applicants soon!
I will have more info regarding the apt situation later this week. I hope this helped give you and idea of where they are. yey!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 AM

131 posts, read 338,211 times
Congrats El Barrio Girl,

I hope it all goes well. keep us posted

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM

184 posts, read 334,299 times
Congrats El....I have a feeling a few people will be getting the good news this week based on another posting....I also think many will hear some not so great news....when a posting said 1/2 the units were gone perhaps they have been approved by C & C but the applicant hadn't been notified and the mention that the applicants outside CB11 will be contacted with the next 2-3 weeks will hold true. This is such a great opportunity to buy in NYC! For the record...if I don't get called I will be living in the ball field across the street come November 1st!

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM

139 posts, read 189,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barrio Girl View Post
Hello All!
I just got the call for the second appointment today. Apparently i will have to choose a unit this week and I will pick up my offer package. I am so excited. 108th we might end up being neighbors!!!!
As I mentioned earlier, I am one of the last CB to be chosen, not the last but that might mean that they are finishing the CB11s and will probably move on to other applicants soon!
I will have more info regarding the apt situation later this week. I hope this helped give you and idea of where they are. yey!
El Bar, indeed we might be neighbors! Let us know how the apt viewing went...I was thorn when after the appointment since it was hard to choose between apt - this is what happens when one is given a choice.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM

139 posts, read 189,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobehomeowner View Post
Hi mg8215,

I agree with you, I took that into account, but just 2 weeks ago 108th st said they told him he would be the first buyer because so many ppl were dropping out for various reasons. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I don't see a whole lot of the apartments taken up in 2 weeks. but anything is possible. bottom line it's still a waiting game, and we will just have to wait and see. I was supposed to get a call @the end of July, but I didn't even bother to call them based on what I am seeing on here. so we wait.
I asked my lawyer to ask the sponsor attorney how many units have a signed contract already. Lets see what he finds out. I have to meet with him to sign the contract on Firday but am getting major cold feet.

Since I am a first time buyer, I am getting super nervous parting with almost all my cash for the deposit and am starting to get scared the market will tank and I wont be able to sell or that interest rates will rise and there wont be any qualified buyers...or that the neighborhood will be gang infested in a few years and I will be stuck with an apartment I cannot rent or sell.

This is a huge decision and it is hitting me all of a sudden ...

Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:03 PM

71 posts, read 118,560 times
Congrats El Barrio Girl!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 PM

24 posts, read 55,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 108thSt View Post
Since I am a first time buyer, I am getting super nervous parting with almost all my cash for the deposit and am starting to get scared the market will tank and I wont be able to sell or that interest rates will rise and there wont be any qualified buyers...or that the neighborhood will be gang infested in a few years and I will be stuck with an apartment I cannot rent or sell.

This is a huge decision and it is hitting me all of a sudden ...

Does it ring a bell with anyone?
Don't worry too much about it! This is actually one of the better lotteries I've seen in a while. Honestly, the area has been getting better as time progresses. All you need is a little patience and time.

There's a risk in anything that involves buying a home, but given the well below market rates you'll be getting, it's most definitely worth it. I'm not saying it's not a gritty area. It kind of is, but there's huge potential in this development in this location.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:29 PM

24 posts, read 44,506 times
Thanks all! Im very excited. 108th, I think that buying is always a better option than paying rent. This was a lottery! Consider yourself lucky. I have lived in this neighborhood for the past 5-6 years and I love it. Yes it is changing but still I liked it before. So vibrant. I work six blocks from La Celia so it would be perfect in many ways.
Someone told me today that this is a scary decision since this is the biggest investment one will make as part of the middle class.
I'm sure that what you are experiencing is normal.
Are you currently satisfied with your attorney?
I might have to shop for one soon.
I would like a 2 brm...lets see....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery