Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

It's been great to read through this forum, which we found about a week ago. We selected an apartment last week. We saw a few people posting here looking for attorney recommendations. Our attorney, Greg Kourakos, has been excellent so far. He is one of the attorneys on the list that we got from La Celia (listed as John Gregory Kourakos). He has a lot of experience that makes him very knowledgeable about these subsidized buildings. Also, he is very flexible with scheduling and easy to reach by phone.

Here is the information for his office:

Kourakos & Kourakos
271 Main Street
Eastchester, NY 10709
Tel: (914)395-0871
Fax: (914)395-0415

Looking forward to being neighbors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM

24 posts, read 44,541 times
Hey, guys!
I hope all is going well with the process. I was wondering why all this push for CHase? I know someone else that is also around the same time line as far as the process goes as I am that told me that the sales office practically said that Chase was the only bank not giving problems with Mortgages. Not only that, but that it had to be done through this Dave Forbes guy. I mean, really? This is sounding a little fishy to me.
Please someone enlighten me. I tried today with Citi Bank and felt pretty good about them.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM

184 posts, read 334,577 times
El Barrio Girl, I recall someone who attended the info seminar stated that Bank of America and Chase were there. So Chase would not be the "required" mortgage lender. I know from researching that Sonyma mortgages are set aside for half the buyers and can be obtained from a group of different lenders, including Chase & Citibank. Unless you were told specifically to use Chase (and some co-ops do make limits on whom you can use) then I'd go with who gives you the best rate, closing cost and who you feel good about. Chase is possibly easier to deal with if they are part of the bigger financial picture and they may have a requirement for a % of the mortgages. Only the Sales Office can answer your question as to why "Chase", you might also ask your attorney if they have any insight. My guess is it's only a preference and not a requirement. Let us know if you find out.

update:
I just checked out the Sonyma website and Dave Forbes is a top producing loan officer (2011) for Chase and utilizing the Sonyma products. I now would gather that you are hearing his name because of his credentials and he knows how to get the mortgages/applicants approved. Doesn't sound fishy at all, just a hard working industry professional.

Last edited by marshland; 09-19-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-21-2012, 07:09 AM

18 posts, read 99,863 times
FYI People, i'm still deparetly waiting to hear from La Celia. I'm looking into something as a back up and I'm working with my attorney Ira Kazlow. I reccomend him to anyone who is in need of an attorney. He charges a flat fee (alot less then these other attorneys) and he's very knowledgable and prompt. He actually help my dad buy his house in 2000

Ira kazlow
118-21 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375-7201
Phone (718) 268-9223
Fax (718) 544-4803
irakazlow@verizon.net

Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM

131 posts, read 338,510 times
Hi Rick,

thanks for the information. I am also looking into a backup. I just made my appt w/NHS, they finally got back to me. Lacelia should be calling you within the next two weeks, so we will be looking forward to that post from you.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM

24 posts, read 44,541 times
Marshland,
Thank you. That put me at ease. I am currently trying with both banks, Citi and Chase to see which one gives me the better deal.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:28 PM

18 posts, read 99,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobehomeowner View Post
Hi Rick,

thanks for the information. I am also looking into a backup. I just made my appt w/NHS, they finally got back to me. Lacelia should be calling you within the next two weeks, so we will be looking forward to that post from you.
Cool.

Also people M&T bank is offering $2k towards closing cost. Chase, BofA, & Wells Fargo as far as I know don't offer any downpayment/closing cost assistance with a SONYMA Loan

Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 AM

RickR86,

I'm curious about M&T Bank. While I see them on the Sonyma list I do not see a distinction of a coop vs condo mortgage. Have you spoken to M&T to verify if they offer nyc coop mortgages? I've never dealt with them and they were not around when I was in real estate so I'm just wondering. I also wonder if they are an approved lender by La Celia? Anyone with an offering plan have info on approved lenders??

Some of the banks you mentioned do offer FTHB assistance or at least they say they do. I know that many offer buyer assistance when you deal with the bank directly but on a smaller scale.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 28,332 times
Hi Everyone:

According to the offering plan the only lenders we are allowed to work with are citibank and chase, it's a bit frustrating because this limits us..

Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC10029 View Post
Hi Everyone:

According to the offering plan the only lenders we are allowed to work with are citibank and chase, it's a bit frustrating because this limits us..
Thank you NYC10029

Appreciate that feedback which explains some of the comments people have made about lenders. It's very common for a coop to offer limited lenders however I recall someone saying Bank of America was at one of the La Celia info seminars. If they were there then why are they now excluded? I hate BofA so I would never use them. At least those of us still waiting can now research citibank & chase instead of a bunch of unapproved banks.

NYC10029...how's your process going btw? Are you in escrow and now just sitting back waiting or busy providing chase with a million copies of your financial records since birth? Love to hear if you've learned more...Cheers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery