Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM

11 posts, read 28,020 times

Advertisements

I just saw that my Big 6 status changed from "not selected" to 7x, too! Wondering how long this wait'll be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I'm happy for you guys, but I keep checking my Big Six status, and I'm still one of the non selecteds! And I was really hoping for this one. Oh, well! I'll keep trying.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-25-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
Me neither :'(

Old 01-25-2018, 11:34 AM

So I tried calling Tudor Realty today re: the York Hill studio wait list. They're currently up to 536 as per Mitchell Lama connect. Because my number is in the 700s I wanted to ask if this is a continuation of the current list, OR if they will get to the end of the list (whenever that is) and start over again. This way, I wanted to see if I am only 200 away or potentially 700 away.

The lady had no idea what I meant and told me they don't know. Then she said to ask in writing and someone would answer. BUT IF THEY DON'T KNOW, how can I ask them in writing?

lol....

Old 01-25-2018, 01:44 PM

17 posts, read 31,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
So I tried calling Tudor Realty today re: the York Hill studio wait list. They're currently up to 536 as per Mitchell Lama connect. Because my number is in the 700s I wanted to ask if this is a continuation of the current list, OR if they will get to the end of the list (whenever that is) and start over again. This way, I wanted to see if I am only 200 away or potentially 700 away.

The lady had no idea what I meant and told me they don't know. Then she said to ask in writing and someone would answer. BUT IF THEY DON'T KNOW, how can I ask them in writing?

lol....
I'm 1xx on the York Hill list, and haven't been contacted since submitting the application fees, so 536 must be based on the previous list.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:43 PM

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat, lol.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:29 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I'm happy for you guys, but I keep checking my Big Six status, and I'm still one of the non selecteds! And I was really hoping for this one. Oh, well! I'll keep trying.

Join the club . I was not selected , and I used to live in Woodside for so many years.

For those called in for the Big Six, were you contacted by mail,phone,email?

Old 01-26-2018, 03:28 PM

85 posts, read 154,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Join the club . I was not selected , and I used to live in Woodside for so many years.

For those called in for the Big Six, were you contacted by mail,phone,email?
First - You'll get a letter saying that your name was selected from the lottery, and they'll include a basic preliminary application with a log number assigned to it. These log numbers are also posted on Housing Connect under 'status' if you're selected. Even if you applied online via HousingConnect and did not mail in a postcard, when you get officially selected you'll receive a physical letter.

You have to reply in writing to them in X amount of days with all of the info - basic household composition with ages and income, and an application fee or deposit. This fee/deposit is usually in the ballpark of $200-250 and -I THINK- when you close, it gets knocked off the purchase price of your shares. I wish I could remember that. But basically you have to sent back a reply saying that you acknowledge your log number & their letter, and include a certified check for $200-250.

Second - when the wait list gets closer to the log number you were assigned, Big Six / Elliman Management will send you a letter saying basically "Hey, your number is next on the list, call us to schedule a time for a viewing. You have X amount of days to respond." You schedule, go and look at apartments, basically have another 'X amount' of days to accept what you looked at, and then that's when the fun starts. That's when you have to do an official application that goes to HPD and includes info about your household and each household member's income in more detail, incld. with a credit/background check and proof of income. Then you play the waiting game, upwards of 6-8 weeks, to hear back on whether your app was approved. Then you play the waiting game for another undefined amount of time, as Big Six turns your unit over and preps for your move-in.

For us, the whole process took 2.5 years from the time we received the first letter saying that we were picked from the lotto and added to the wait list, until the day we actually closed on the apartment and had keys in hand. Mind you...this is considered a short amount of time. I was expecting a good 5, maybe even 10 years, sitting on the wait list...which in the past for any sort of ML building was common place. But now, I think a lot of these buildings that went up in the early 1960s are experiencing higher than normal levels of expected vacancy - due to older residents passing away and not leaving succession, and people on the previous wait lists no longer being available (not interested, over or under income, not reachable, etc...).

That's why just about any communication you'll have with a ML building before you move in will say "reply in X amount of days" - they're hoping to shorten the wait list (and the level of work they have to do) by disqualifying people who miss the deadlines. I'm sure that happens a lot.

Anyway I know that was a long post, but I hope it answered your question and helped out you or anyone else wondering what the process was. This above was specifically for Big Six but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more or less universal across all ML buildings. SOME still do a home visit from what I hear... I was under the impression they were trying to pass a law to do away with that and also ease up on the credit report requirements.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:44 PM

85 posts, read 154,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

lol....

Tudor is horrible for correspondence. From what I remember on the York Hill letter it said that any inquiries regarding the wait list needs to be in writing to them and you can only write once every 6 months. Not surprising that the person answering the phone wouldn't, or couldn't, give you any info. I'm not sure if they're tossing the new lottery numbers on to the existing list (i.e. the one that says 536 on Housing Connect) or starting a brand new list. Hopefully for your situation they're just adding onto the current list. That kinda makes sense because there aren't that many studios in the building anyway. I believe only 2 per floor on each side of the building (so 4 per floor, 20 floors total).

I know for the 1 bed lotto the next number to be called, according to Housing Connect, will be off of the new 2015 list. I don't believe that anyone from this list has been called yet. I'm guessing Tudor isn't providing HPD with real-time updates for the website.

Anyone on the studio list is in a good spot - despite their not being as many studios in the building versus 1 and 2 beds - most of the people who hold a studio transfer internally to a larger apartment, so AFAIK studios free up a lot quicker than 1+ beds.

Hang in there...and post any updates if you ever hear from Tudor!

Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM

I will! I am still really trying to figure out if I have a 200 log number wait or a 900 log number wait. On housing connect there is an exclamation point next to the 1 bedroom lottery which means "the next number will be from the new list" but there is no such exclamation point for the studios.

I would imagine that the list goes only up to 750 because for this particular lottery they said they were only opening 750 spots. I got a log number VERY close to 750 lol so I consider myself lucky but honestly, I'm constantly re-evaluating this and I think it will probably be a 10+ year wait. Am I just being fatalistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery