Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2016, 12:10 PM

129 posts, read 271,592 times

Advertisements

Waiting4Chelsea2, there is no information on East Midtown Plaza's website about the status of the 1 bedroom waiting list....

This is the message on their website:
Prospective Cooperators

Currently, East Midtown Plaza has an extremely long waiting list and therefore is not accepting new applications at this time.

If the list becomes shorter and can be reopened, notices will appear in several local newspapers with instructions on how to apply. There will also be information posted to this website. However, we do not anticipate that the waiting list will be opened in the near future.

As of January 21, 2016, we are up currently up to application number 1218 for Studio apartments.

As of January 21, 2016, we are up currently up to application number 93 for Two bedroom apartments

East Midtown Plaza - Prospective Cooperators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM

64 posts, read 177,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
Waiting4Chelsea2, there is no information on East Midtown Plaza's website about the status of the 1 bedroom waiting list....

This is the message on their website:
Prospective Cooperators

Currently, East Midtown Plaza has an extremely long waiting list and therefore is not accepting new applications at this time.

If the list becomes shorter and can be reopened, notices will appear in several local newspapers with instructions on how to apply. There will also be information posted to this website. However, we do not anticipate that the waiting list will be opened in the near future.

As of January 21, 2016, we are up currently up to application number 1218 for Studio apartments.

As of January 21, 2016, we are up currently up to application number 93 for Two bedroom apartments

East Midtown Plaza - Prospective Cooperators
They probably haven't updated their website, but all of the info is up on the Housing Connect Mitchell Lama site. They don't have a 1 bedroom list started yet so the list generated from this lottery will be starting fresh I guess.

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/252.pdf

Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,624,321 times
I'm wondering what are one's chances of really getting a Mitchell Lama coop apartment if you apply?

Also, do they prioritize any group of people?
For example, people with disabilities? (I see they ask that in the application when you register for housing connect).

Also, do they give priority to ethnic minorities?

I ask because I wonder if it's worthwhile noting on the application is one is in a minority group, or not going to help you any?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:58 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,624,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I'm wondering what are one's chances of really getting a Mitchell Lama coop apartment if you apply?

Also, do they prioritize any group of people?
For example, people with disabilities? (I see they ask that in the application when you register for housing connect).

Also, do they give priority to ethnic minorities?

I ask because I wonder if it's worthwhile noting on the application is one is in a minority group, or not going to help you any?

Also, how soon after you apply do you hear that you are being considered, what log # you are?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2016, 05:54 PM

483 posts, read 694,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Congratulations hon. What a coup for you.
A resident told me that Penn South is not precisely Mitchell Lama but is called something else. Was it "limited dividend cooperative" or something like that? But it works very similarly.

What is the precise terminology?
Thanks! Responded to you on another thread because I was chasing this around trying to remember where I left it (never when I log in, apparently). I'm pretty excited though any day now I should start living on Ramen to recoup even quicker, lol.

It seems like PS is simply "limited equity" as per their website, as "limited dividend" seems like... something else:

Quote:
Note that the following limited dividend family developments are not subject to this statute: Amalgamated Houses in the Bronx, the five Electchesters in Queens, Harry Silver Apartments in Brooklyn and Knickerbocker Village in Manhattan.
from this source, again:

State Supervised Middle Income Housing Developments

If we can figure out what those developments are we might have something nailed down, lol. My first time around the block my eyes glazed over at the suggestion I figure out anything from that "hudclips" link, to the point where I decided for expediency's sake, simply to apply to any and every development I liked the look of, and let them tell me if i was within income range. The old (temporarily?) defunct lottery link said that PS was under the purview of the Department of Housing Preservation, but since "real" Mitchell-Lamas also are, that doesn't help the mission much.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 PM

For those who were selected for 1540 York and send the application, do you know approximately how long is the waiting period? Is it 5 years? 20 years? I called Tudor to find out but never got a call back

Old 06-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elicamb View Post
For those who were selected for 1540 York and send the application, do you know approximately how long is the waiting period? Is it 5 years? 20 years? I called Tudor to find out but never got a call back
not surprising that you didn't get a call back from Tudor. They aren't the greatest with follow up or much else to be honest. Also they said that they'll only allow a list status check once every 6 months by written letter only. Also, they won't answer any questions about the list until 6 months have passed since the lotto closed. I would suggest making sure everything you send to them is certified mail.

To answer your question, I know some people in the building there and I was told that they are expecting to go through the whole list (500 people) in 5 years. There are a ton of older people/original residents there, it may even be a naturally occurring retirement community, so they could be anticipating a bunch of residents passing away and not leaving a successor. However, there is also an internal wait list, and there are only 300 units total in the whole building. A resident I know there waited 15 years on the list before he got an apartment, and this was in the 80s. The list for studios should open up next year if I recall correctly. I doubt the 2 bed/3 bed list will ever open, but who knows. a lot of apartments there have terraces

it's probably one of the better, if not the best, development in the whole program though.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:30 PM

Has anyone received a log number for East Midtown Plaza yet if you applied online? The lotto ended 2 weeks ago. Wondering if they have sent letters/log numbers yet. Would love to get picked for this one. but I got picked for the 1540 York list also so I can't be too picky

Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 PM

Waiting4chelsea2, thank you so much for the info. 5 years is not that bad for that location.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:18 AM

25,433 posts, read 37,261,605 times
I waited 16+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery