Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 12:29 PM

6,701 posts, read 6,088,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
Current mood:

CD time is throwing me off, update the time already, don't wait until next year to spring forward.

P.S. yesterday was really depressing, I stepped out of the train at 6:15 and it looked and felt like 9:00pm. I don't like this.
I was going to insert a picture of a housing lottery-issued straight jacket, but that would definitely apply to me as well!!!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,882,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I was going to insert a picture of a housing lottery-issued straight jacket, but that would definitely apply to me as well!!!
I was doing so well I can't even eat my feelings with an apple cider donut... I know, first world problems. Guess I'll just get coffee, I know it's not the same

Old 11-07-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I was doing so well I can't even eat my feelings with an apple cider donut... I know, first world problems. Guess I'll just get coffee, I know it's not the same
I had a wonton soup just to calm my nerves. It's already 2:30pm. I'm counting down the time as if I were in the movie, "Deep Impact" which if you think about the name, it's actually true!

Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,782,265 times
"You were accepted and turned it down, in other words?"

They asked me if, given that there were only 200% AMI units left, I wanted to continue in the process. I said no. I obviously don't know that I would have been accepted, although, since my income is fairly straightforward, my assets are under the limit, and I was near but not at the bottom of the 200% AMI range for income, I was pretty confident that--if they did their job right--I would be found to be qualified.

One of my major motivations for moving, besides the obvious, was wanting to get a dog. The difference in rent between 250 Ashland and my current place would've eaten up the entire financial margin available for supporting a dog! Gotta be able to take care of your family.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 PM

103 posts, read 100,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

They asked me if, given that there were only 200% AMI units left, I wanted to continue in the process. I said no. I obviously don't know that I would have been accepted, although, since my income is fairly straightforward, my assets are under the limit, and I was near but not at the bottom of the 200% AMI range for income, I was pretty confident that--if they did their job right--I would be found to be qualified.

One of my major motivations for moving, besides the obvious, was wanting to get a dog. The difference in rent between 250 Ashland and my current place would've eaten up the entire financial margin available for supporting a dog! Gotta be able to take care of your family.
I completely agree. We asked if we wanted to move forward with a 200% unit and we said no. I'm not sure how they calculate the minimum rent since, as you said, no other landlord would rent an apartment with that income/rent ratio. Even with long-term affordability, the current budget would be way too tight to wait and see when/if things even out. It's a great building but we don't want to be stretched too thin and "apartment poor." Some people can tighten their belts and make it work but I know for us and our expenses (e.g. Childcare) it just doesn't make sense.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:09 PM

994 posts, read 1,060,925 times
this then begs a very curious question -- how many of us, the "250 gang", would turn down the 200% AMI unit?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM

110 posts, read 88,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
this then begs a very curious question -- how many of us, the "250 gang", would turn down the 200% AMI unit?
200%=$24xx for studio right? f'k yes i'd turn it down. contemplating for 165% studio atm too..lol

Old 11-07-2017, 06:15 PM

994 posts, read 1,060,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weip2k View Post
200%=$24xx for studio right? f'k yes i'd turn it down. contemplating for 165% studio atm too..lol
0 Bedroom = 2455
1 Bedroom = 2632
2 Bedroom = 3163
3 Bedroom = 3649

Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,869,891 times
They might start getting tenants to fill these higher end "affordable units" if they stopped with the 200% AMI and started taking in 80 and 100% (we're apparently the red-headed step-children in these lotteries). Another GREAT one went up today and it's 30,40,50,60, 120, 140 :/ W.T.F????????? I can't deal with this anymore. As a single person of 80-100% do they just want us to shack up with a 30 percenter to qualify as a two income household? I'm so annoyed right now, and reading through the de-gentrification thread just now I have no words left, my life spirit, my libido (not the sexual energy that is popularized as the definition, but it's one's life force...) is obliterated. I need to learn how to drive although I'm so running on a razer's edge of finances that I can't afford the driving lessons and school that NY requires. Part of me is hoping to get fired from work or laid off just so I can collect unemployed, declare bankruptcy, cash in my 401k (which only has 6K in it after 10 years of contributing) and get the hell out of here and start fresh. I JOKED about Newark the other day but of COURSE today in the Wall Street Journal (maybe the NYTimes..? sorry i read both cuz they are free for the taking in my building) and it's talking about gentrification in NEWARK. F- OUTTA HERE WITH THAT! Everytime I see a young white person with a designer dog my skin crawls these days out of fear.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post

I had that horrible problem with the Stuyvesant Town lottery. They wanted to take more than half of my paycheck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery