Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,876,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_kp View Post
You don't know if there are market rate apartments that have white tile, or affordable apartments that have backsplashes, though. Unless you've seen all the apartments lines - that would be a different story.
Ok, I'm not debating this. Someone has already posted that they have seen it, not to mention what is shown on the website, there is clearly a difference.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,864,067 times
Market Rate tenants paying ridiculous rents want SOMETHING to feel good about for doing so. Let them have their corny backsplash that will be outdated in 3 years and be thankful you snagged a RENT STABALIZED apartment for the next 25 years. Sheesh. I'd move into an construction zone and do it all myself slowly if I got the opportunity to win something as hard as this. At least you're in a lottery apartment where the building has market raters, those new lottery buildings going up that cater to the 60% and below turn into dumps literally like 2 weeks in after everyone has moved in.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:46 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,068,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Market Rate tenants paying ridiculous rents want SOMETHING to feel good about for doing so. Let them have their corny backsplash that will be outdated in 3 years and be thankful you snagged a RENT STABALIZED apartment for the next 25 years. Sheesh. I'd move into an construction zone and do it all myself slowly if I got the opportunity to win something as hard as this. At least you're in a lottery apartment where the building has market raters, those new lottery buildings going up that cater to the 60% and below turn into dumps literally like 2 weeks in after everyone has moved in.
This is exactly right. I call about six months after everyone has moved in: NYCHA 2.0, Cabrini Green, or Pruitt Igoe - take your pick.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:47 PM

At least NYCHA buildings have thick walls versus the paper thin walls of these news buildings where you can hear and SMELL your neighbors fart.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:51 PM

The good mixed rate buildings like in Pacific Park and Downtown Brooklyn that are truly luxury hi-rises with 25 year affordable programs are good because you still have a chance of something good. All these 60% and below buildings going up in really out of the way terrible places are just land speculation from developers getting tax breaks doing the cheapest construction possible KNOWING and HOPING that 25 years from now they can tear them down and building new buildings. They are speculating on the value of the LAND, not the buildings anytime in the future. Planned obsosolence is a disgusting part of this program that no one seems to want to discuss. Billy D doesn't want to talk about that cuz he's in the pockets of big developers and 25-30 years from now he'll most likely be dead.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM

quote:
NYCHA 2.0, Cabrini Green, or Pruitt Igoe take your pick.

Nyc vs. Chicago vs. St. Louis
hmmm

I'd pick the ones with those cool outdoor landings and balconies though.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
The good mixed rate buildings like in Pacific Park and Downtown Brooklyn that are truly luxury hi-rises with 25 year affordable programs are good because you still have a chance of something good. All these 60% and below buildings going up in really out of the way terrible places are just land speculation from developers getting tax breaks doing the cheapest construction possible KNOWING and HOPING that 25 years from now they can tear them down and building new buildings. They are speculating on the value of the LAND, not the buildings anytime in the future. Planned obsosolence is a disgusting part of this program that no one seems to want to discuss. Billy D doesn't want to talk about that cuz he's in the pockets of big developers and 25-30 years from now he'll most likely be dead.
Wow, what an analytical assessment and although I'd hate to agree, I believe this is on point. Developers tend to be greedy - everyone just wants a huge tax break while making a ton of money. I think that this is why the city is over constructing. I mean, what's up with all the construction anyway? Where did all this money come from all of a sudden?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:03 PM

I've been studying the history of Stuyvensant Town for a long time. There's great books about the place, I currently have read through two. It gives you a glimpse of the REAL new york city political real estate industry and what the reality is..

Oh where did that money come from you ask? look up the book "Other People's Money" and you will know exactly what's going on with our current housing program... Some of the same players are still at it!

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM

427 posts, read 238,169 times
Hey all, so to yank this back - anyone have anything to say about this:
Back in Sept. I was told I was number 17 on the list for my AMI and there were less 1 bed apartments left than that. I was told I could snag a studio for sure and went for a showing and got a phone call at 10 minutes before my appointment, while I was at the building waiting that the showing was canceled as the person was sick.
I said I'm not rescheduling as I don't want a studio after this hassle. They said I could go on a waitlist for a 1 bedroom. I agreed, thinking it was total B///S___.

Behold yesterday, I get a request for new documents to keep my info current as I really am on a waitlist.
Anyone know if there is a possibility of clearing this year? I mean once people are in, the likelihood of leaving is slim, and do I want to endure this torture every 120 days? I also know they are renting the apartments they were using as models for the market rates, so how many apartments could be left for folks like us?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
Hey all, so to yank this back - anyone have anything to say about this:
Back in Sept. I was told I was number 17 on the list for my AMI and there were less 1 bed apartments left than that. I was told I could snag a studio for sure and went for a showing and got a phone call at 10 minutes before my appointment, while I was at the building waiting that the showing was canceled as the person was sick.
I said I'm not rescheduling as I don't want a studio after this hassle. They said I could go on a waitlist for a 1 bedroom. I agreed, thinking it was total B///S___.

Behold yesterday, I get a request for new documents to keep my info current as I really am on a waitlist.
Anyone know if there is a possibility of clearing this year? I mean once people are in, the likelihood of leaving is slim, and do I want to endure this torture every 120 days? I also know they are renting the apartments they were using as models for the market rates, so how many apartments could be left for folks like us?

That's a very good question. Out of curiosity, did they check your credit? I mean, did you go through the whole process and then they told you that you were on a waitlist?

To answer your question, I would leave myself on the waitlist and pursue other lotteries. I don't see why not? I do believe that the likelyhood of people leaving is slim, but you never know. I had recently been placed on a waitlist with a log number of 55,xxx. Go figure.

OH, I just remembered: I was placed on another waitlist back in June, but called last month to reinstate my application. I went on the interview and submitted my paperwork again, so you really never know. (I'm currently in the running for that lottery).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.