Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 06:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,671 times

Advertisements

i hate all of you lol

Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 AM

143 posts, read 126,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
so in addition to muk's invitation, i'll help sunset our happy little forum:
250 ashland is leased up and ready for fun. I sign my lease next week.

Stormgirl will either let us see pix or invite us over - i'd like to have a comparison of our building to hers and see if we're missing anything in manhattan.

I hope to meet any or all of you in person!

"a cecil b. Demille production"
congrats and welcome home !

Old 02-07-2018, 07:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,057,188 times
Quote:
So in addition to MuK's invitation, I'll help sunset our happy little forum:
250 Ashland is leased up and ready for fun. I sign my lease next week.

StormGirl WILL either let us see pix or invite us over - I'd like to have a comparison of our building to hers and see if we're missing anything in manhattan.

"A Cecil B. Demille production"
Congratulations und willkommen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
i hate all of you lol
You'll live

Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Quote:
So in addition to MuK's invitation, I'll help sunset our happy little forum:
250 Ashland is leased up and ready for fun. I sign my lease next week.

StormGirl WILL either let us see pix or invite us over - I'd like to have a comparison of our building to hers and see if we're missing anything in manhattan.

"A Cecil B. Demille production"
lol, well I don't have access to the apartment until March 1 (bummer). In the meantime, my current landlord *paid me* to leave so I'll be getting new furniture.

I'm only worried because once the new rent reaches 2700, the unit will go market rate. This applies to you folks as well. The lady at the lottery office said it applies across all of NYC in all rent stabilized apartments. (There was a small tiny-font clause in the new lease and I read it!) Only my old rent was 1300, so it would have been a while before I reached it. When I reach the $2,700 or even before, I may move out of the city. Im seriously considering it.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
lol, well I don't have access to the apartment until March 1 (bummer). In the meantime, my current landlord *paid me* to leave so I'll be getting new furniture.

I'm only worried because once the new rent reaches 2700, the unit will go market rate. This applies to you folks as well. The lady at the lottery office said it applies across all of NYC in all rent stabilized apartments. (There was a small tiny-font clause in the new lease and I read it!) Only my old rent was 1300, so it would have been a while before I reached it. When I reach the $2,700 or even before, I may move out of the city. Im seriously considering it.
This brings up an interesting question - (1) if they convert me to market rate, does that mean the rent stabilization lease rider no longer applies? (2) do I get market rate fit and finish?

Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
This brings up an interesting question - (1) if they convert me to market rate, does that mean the rent stabilization lease rider no longer applies? (2) do I get market rate fit and finish?
I’m sorry, I made a mistake. I reread and the only time the developer can charge market rates is if they find out you make over a certain amount and/or if you move out.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 AM

114 posts, read 180,158 times
stormgal! you got one? congratulations!!!! thrilled to see an OG from the forum finally do it.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry, I made a mistake. I reread and the only time the developer can charge market rates is if they find out you make over a certain amount and/or if you move out.
I didn't want to say anything until I got home and read my lease, but I was under the impression, certainly 250 Ashland, is marked as "permanently affordable" What that means, I'm not entire sure.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
I didn't want to say anything until I got home and read my lease, but I was under the impression, certainly 250 Ashland, is marked as "permanently affordable" What that means, I'm not entire sure.
all housing lotteries are "permanently affordable"

But I did make a mistake - the clause reads that if you make over 200K, you'll have your apartment deregulated if it reaches 2700. But that's dumb - who in their right minds would want to stay in an affordable apartment if they make over 200K?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 AM

147 posts, read 87,630 times
Quote:
all housing lotteries are "permanently affordable"

But I did make a mistake - the clause reads that if you make over 200K, you'll have your apartment deregulated if it reaches 2700. But that's dumb - who in their right minds would want to stay in an affordable apartment if they make over 200K?
Stormgal that is correct information for standard rent stabilized apts If and when your rent reaches above $2700 and your income is above $200K for 2 consecutive years the landlord can seek permission from DHCR to deregulate your apt.

In our case (250 ash) that isn't true. Our particular building is permanently affordable. In this building, You could win the lottery tomorrow and still remain in your rent stabilized apt. However the building can still ask for your financial info and I believe they will do it yearly but no matter how much we make from here on out we can still retain our lease. Manner in case you want to read all this for yourself its in the rider from HDC that is included in our lease.

So that all said you will have to check your lease to see if you have an additional rider from HDC that has the information above. I believe a lot of housing lottery buildings are like this not all but most.

7 continent welcome home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery