Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 09:47 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
I got 79,xxx LMAO! It's a joke. I was recently contacted for Norwood Terrace in the Bronx, but didn't go to the interview because I'm not eligible anymore since my income increased. I'm about to give up on these lotteries because I always get so close and then it never comes through
What was your log number for Norwood?

Old 07-23-2016, 03:14 PM

193 posts, read 283,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
What was your log number for Norwood?
1xx, no preferences. I switched jobs so now I have municipal employee preference

Old 07-23-2016, 03:30 PM

193 posts, read 283,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk8infinite8 View Post
Even w/ cb preference and municipal employee preference, my log number was in the 75,xxx. -_-

It might not be the end of the world for you. Having two preferences even with a high log number could help your chances a lot

Old 07-24-2016, 12:28 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times
According to, "Curbed Magazine" there were 89xxx applications for this development. It's ridiculous. I don't think the city should run a developments lottery for such a long time before it closes it. I think lotteries should run for a week or two at most! What is the city supposed to do with almost 90,000 applications?

Old 07-24-2016, 04:10 PM

32,040 posts, read 27,275,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
According to, "Curbed Magazine" there were 89xxx applications for this development. It's ridiculous. I don't think the city should run a developments lottery for such a long time before it closes it. I think lotteries should run for a week or two at most! What is the city supposed to do with almost 90,000 applications?

It is called a lottery for a reason, no different than Power Ball, Mega Millions or similar schemes.

Just as with other lotteries not sure a short cutoff time would make any difference at this point. This isn't back in the day where notices about "affordable housing" lotteries were just published deep in some newspaper, but rather online and elsewhere. The scheme is also very widely known about and publicized both by the City and other sources. As such there are those who make it their life's work daily to check on new listings daily if not hourly and submit their name.

Also unlike back in the day large numbers of these new "affordable" units are in nice to highly desirable areas. Who wouldn't want well below market rate RS apartment in Chelsea, West Village, Brooklyn, UWS, etc...?

Finally any stigma that once was attached to these "low income" affordable housing lotteries is gone from what I can see. Both socially and professionally hear and see everyone from middle class white gay couples or singles to the same for straights applying to these lotteries.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:02 AM

33 posts, read 73,144 times
Hey guys I just got my log number 69,000 CB2 preference. Although high it does not mean I'm out of the running. I got called for the city point tower 1 lottery with a log number 73,000 CB2 and that was almost a year later after that application period ended. I decline that apartment because I was only eligible for a studio apartment for $1,600. As a person who was born a raise in NYC I felt like that way too expensive. My theory about these affordable projects is that you have a better chance of getting called if your in the higher moderate to middle income bracket. If your lower that and you don't have a low log number and a CB2 preference that forget it about it. I'm just hoping they call me before the year is over.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 AM

132 posts, read 253,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscalepat View Post
Hey guys I just got my log number 69,000 CB2 preference. Although high it does not mean I'm out of the running. I got called for the city point tower 1 lottery with a log number 73,000 CB2 and that was almost a year later after that application period ended. I decline that apartment because I was only eligible for a studio apartment for $1,600. As a person who was born a raise in NYC I felt like that way too expensive. My theory about these affordable projects is that you have a better chance of getting called if your in the higher moderate to middle income bracket. If your lower that and you don't have a low log number and a CB2 preference that forget it about it. I'm just hoping they call me before the year is over.
Thanks for posting Upscale. that's certainly encouraging news. I was bemoaning my 19XXX log # (with CB2 preference also) but this gives me more hope.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:51 AM

246 posts, read 486,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscalepat View Post

well that is great, I am hoping we all get called. My log number is 4,5xx CB 3 preference and my income is decent. Good enough for the 2 bedroom for $1584 a month.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Reply to bronxgirl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxgirl6 View Post
Thanks for posting Upscale. that's certainly encouraging news. I was bemoaning my 19XXX log # (with CB2 preference also) but this gives me more hope.
19,000 is great number expect to be called with a three month period. Get all your paper work ready. Also a lot of people complain about how long and grueling the interview process is but as long you have all the documents required you'll be offered in apartment. I went through two interviews so far this year and was deemed eligible with in a weeks time.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Default Reply to sammy36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
well that is great, I am hoping we all get called. My log number is 4,5xx CB 3 preference and my income is decent. Good enough for the 2 bedroom for $1584 a month.
They will start interviews in September , get your paper work ready. Your log number is very good. People have to remember out of the 80,000 plus people that apply to these projects more than half don't have good credit, had rent issues with their current landlord, not enough savings etc. so that leaves the others with CB preference, mobility impaired, city workers that would have to be called first which is us! Good luck brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery