Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 PM

162 posts, read 249,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
Buy a Ladder. I have a ladder about 8 feet high that I store in one of the closets since the closet ceiling is as high as the ceiling in the living room. Great design.

When the smoke detector goes off, no need to blow the air with cardboard. Get a pole like a broom or mop, and using the tip, you can use it to reach and push the button on the smoke detector. Hold it for about 5 seconds and it shuts off the obnoxious beeping right away. All the smoke detectors in a apartment seem to be linked, because if i push the button on one it shuts the others off.
Lol..I have a full ladder, maybe not eight feet, which I also keep in the hallway closet. I was able to reach the one in the bedroom and surprised to see no battery but connected to wires in the wall. Good to know that we can shut them off manually. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
The noise now with he construction going on is deafening at 7am. It sucks but what can we do. As for the additional noise from the loading dock, I doubt its as loud as the noise level now lol.
The loading dock is right next to the garage. So I guess we shall see or hear.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM

43 posts, read 64,970 times
Default Roof Deck & Gym

I'm kinda confused about the delay in finishing the roof deck From what I can tell the building is far from full and considering some of the comments I've read on this forum from people who are coming in for interviews but are not sure about the building, because of issues like increased commuting distance or being in an industrial area, then I would think having the deck finished would be a nice incentive to counter some of these negatives. This is to say nothing of the gym which I'm not even sure is going to happen or not. An amenity like the gym may be enough to override any doubts about moving in.

A quick glance on Craig's List and you will see that the rental price of this building is comparable to much of the inventory out there as you can see here:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

Granted Steinway Estates is less than the market rental price of a brand new building but not by much. And many of these new buildings also have many more amenities including dishwasher, doorman, close proximity to subway, etc. An example is this one:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/abo/6172821411.html

Plus if you take into account non-new construction buildings/houses that have completely renovated and modernized the apartments, then there are many instances where Steinway Estates is priced higher.

Don't get me wrong, I love this building. I just find it odd that things have not moved forward on completing the roof deck, gym, etc considering all the other competing options out there.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore6000 View Post
I'm kinda confused about the delay in finishing the roof deck From what I can tell the building is far from full and considering some of the comments I've read on this forum from people who are coming in for interviews but are not sure about the building, because of issues like increased commuting distance or being in an industrial area, then I would think having the deck finished would be a nice incentive to counter some of these negatives. This is to say nothing of the gym which I'm not even sure is going to happen or not. An amenity like the gym may be enough to override any doubts about moving in.

A quick glance on Craig's List and you will see that the rental price of this building is comparable to much of the inventory out there as you can see here:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

Granted Steinway Estates is less than the market rental price of a brand new building but not by much. And many of these new buildings also have many more amenities including dishwasher, doorman, close proximity to subway, etc. An example is this one:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/abo/6172821411.html

Plus if you take into account non-new construction buildings/houses that have completely renovated and modernized the apartments, then there are many instances where Steinway Estates is priced higher.

Don't get me wrong, I love this building. I just find it odd that things have not moved forward on completing the roof deck, gym, etc considering all the other competing options out there.
Well, it is with *great regret* that today, I contacted Steinway to tell them that I am no longer pursuing this further. (I was asked to come in and sign a lease).

But for those of you who are questioning, I did ask about the gym, and the answer was, "I don't know - contact management."

Anyway, I was shown the deck, but not told how long it will take to finish. I do think the deck is a great idea, and I actually don't mind the price, or anything else - it's just the commute that kills me.

Well, best of luck to all of you living there - it's a beautiful place (if I was born/ raised in Queens, I'd take it in a heartbeat), but I can't justify a little less than 2 hour commute when I already live in Manhattan.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM

61 posts, read 94,815 times
NOISE, NOISE and more NOISE! My child has his own room but its to loud during the day so we have resorted to putting our child in the bathroom so he can take a nap. Yes, I said bathroom!

NOISE POLLUTION IS HORRIBLE...If you are not use to the noise because you are not from this area please be aware. At night not only does the trash trucks come by but you have tractor trailers that fly by during the middle of the night and also the speed racers that love to fly down the streets at 3 a.m. I can't imagine when the stores are open on the 1st floor and the noise from the club goers down the street.

Also, the building's streets are on the Tractor trailer, Motorcycle and Bus driving school route!!!!!!

I love my apartment and building but the noise is a little to much.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:08 PM

126 posts, read 169,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbasurero View Post
NOISE, NOISE and more NOISE! My child has his own room but its to loud during the day so we have resorted to putting our child in the bathroom so he can take a nap. Yes, I said bathroom!

NOISE POLLUTION IS HORRIBLE...If you are not use to the noise because you are not from this area please be aware. At night not only does the trash trucks come by but you have tractor trailers that fly by during the middle of the night and also the speed racers that love to fly down the streets at 3 a.m. I can't imagine when the stores are open on the 1st floor and the noise from the club goers down the street.

Also, the building's streets are on the Tractor trailer, Motorcycle and Bus driving school route!!!!!!

I love my apartment and building but the noise is a little to much.
I agree the noise is really really bad. During the day/evening its very quiet but late night/early morning i'm surprised at the racket, especially in the morning.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times
You guys should complain to management. It's possible that they haven't "zoned" the area for noise pollution free because you guys are literally the first complex to live there. But once they hear enough complaints, the appropriate admins will do something about it - like put street signs up no speeding/ speed bumps, and create pick up hours for those tractor trailers. Really, complain. It's not a bad thing. If admins don't know your'e having this problem, they'll never do anything about it.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 PM

189 posts, read 288,386 times
You what noise I hear at any hour airplanes!!!! One time there was a really loud airplane that sounded like a war plane!

Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 PM

So I just received another letter from Langsam, 3rd one, for an interview. I've been here since February.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 PM

189 posts, read 288,386 times
Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery