Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2017, 07:09 AM

274 posts, read 485,136 times

Advertisements

That's so strange especially since I thought the law states only a % goes to the homeless, % cb preference, % disability, % city employee then the remainder to non cb preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,842,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larthur706 View Post
That's so strange especially since I thought the law states only a % goes to the homeless, % cb preference, % disability, % city employee then the remainder to non cb preference.
25% of all units in the building go to the homeless, and they are processed alongside the CB units (and possibly before the CB units). If the homeless take up all the 2 bedrooms that are there are in the building, then that's that.

Last edited by wiivile; 04-18-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM

274 posts, read 485,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
25% of all units in the building go to the homeless, and they are processed alongside the CB units (and possibly before the CB units). If the homeless take up all the 2 bedrooms that are there are in the building, then that's that.
Makes sense now. I thought each income bracket does that breakdown.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:46 AM

30 posts, read 67,412 times
The fair thing would have been to allocate that 25% evenly between all of the apartment sizes because 2-3 bedrooms are more difficult to obtain in housing lotteries, since they are offered in a fewer amount as compared to studio or one bedroom Apts. Anyway, if anyone has a chance for this lottery, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Evazdivaz; 04-18-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

125 posts, read 363,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
@Katy_Perry,

This is unbelievable. Don't get why you were called in the first place if there are no more units available. The way I see this, is that these programs will only be for the homeless. I'm not against housing for the homeless, but what happens to the people who apply and have preferences and their log number gets chosen?

So all the two bedrooms went to the homeless?

Anyway. We can all write to HPD. I think the information is within this thread. I will help with anything I can. Let me know what you'd like to do. I agree this is completely unfair.

We didn't even know all the 2-3 bedrooms were gone until the interview. At that point, they told us that nothing for our household size is available so we decided not to continue since it wouldn't make sense for us to move out of a 2 br into a 1 br, even though we really need a new apartment.

Yes, all 2-3 bedrooms have gone to homeless referrals from what my father has been told. I asked well what if there's someone in the running for 2 bedrooms who gets rejected, do we have a chance? And he said no because even if the person with a homeless referral is rejected, HRA has control of that apartment and will choose who gets it aka another homeless person. So basically it seems like all the 2-3 bedrooms have been claimed by HRA even before the lottery started. Why even advertise these 27 2-3 bedroom apartments if there's no chance in hell of getting one unless you're homeless?

I agree, we all have to write to HPD because this new Deblasio law sucks and isn't fair to all of us with more than 2 people in our household. Is homeless favoritism a breaking ground thing or are all lotteries like this now?

Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I think the homeless were processed first

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 PM

95 posts, read 342,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_perry View Post
I think the homeless were processed first
I spoke to a representative at HPD today who told me that 25% of the units go to the homeless who live in the community board, the other 25% go to the non-homeless community board residents. As he explained to me, the leasing agent should still go through the log process. It is understandable that by the time your log number is reached there may be no units left, but at that point you should get a letter saying you have been placed on a waiting list, not a letter saying your application was selected and to come in for an interview.

Another forum member within this thread (don't recall the name), said Breaking Ground kept changing the date of the lease signing and in the end was told there were no units. It happened to me in a slightly different situation with them.

It seems to me Breaking Ground is not following the guidelines. I urge everyone that has had an experience that does not seem right to please contact HPD. They are actually quick at getting back to you and will have your file reviewed. Just make sure to keep all correspondence and be very detailed when you submit a message to the agency. Reference the project as well as your log number.

I added links to HPD in a previous comment on this thread. Even though you don't get a shot at getting a unit, at least, hopefully Breaking Ground will get their ***** together.

There have been too many complaints already.

@katy_perry,

Don't give up. What happened to you is very uncommon and it's not definitely how the process should work. Good luck!

P.S. My log number is not too high, 2X,XXX with CB, but I'm giving up on hearing from them.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2live View Post
I spoke to a representative at HPD today who told me that 25% of the units go to the homeless who live in the community board, the other 25% go to the non-homeless community board residents. As he explained to me, the leasing agent should still go through the log process. It is understandable that by the time your log number is reached there may be no units left, but at that point you should get a letter saying you have been placed on a waiting list, not a letter saying your application was selected and to come in for an interview.

Another forum member within this thread (don't recall the name), said Breaking Ground kept changing the date of the lease signing and in the end was told there were no units. It happened to me in a slightly different situation with them.

It seems to me Breaking Ground is not following the guidelines. I urge everyone that has had an experience that does not seem right to please contact HPD. They are actually quick at getting back to you and will have your file reviewed. Just make sure to keep all correspondence and be very detailed when you submit a message to the agency. Reference the project as well as your log number.

I added links to HPD in a previous comment on this thread. Even though you don't get a shot at getting a unit, at least, hopefully Breaking Ground will get their ***** together.

There have been too many complaints already.

@katy_perry,

Don't give up. What happened to you is very uncommon and it's not definitely how the process should work. Good luck!

P.S. My log number is not too high, 2X,XXX with CB, but I'm giving up on hearing from them.
Thank you, we will keep applying until we get an apartment. You shouldn't give up hope for this development yet (unless you need 2-3 br) since they just started interviewing

Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I would also get my local City Council rep involved. It really doesn't seem right that ALL the two bedrooms were given to the homeless contingent, with none for the community?

Old 04-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I would also get my local City Council rep involved. It really doesn't seem right that ALL the two bedrooms were given to the homeless contingent, with none for the community?
I couldn't believe it either, I probably asked if they were serious 3 times. My dad has a preference so he was one of the first interviewed and for them to say that all 2-3 br apartments have already been filled by homeless referrals is really angering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery