Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 60,266 times

Advertisements

I just saw my log number 1*** range..... I don't know if I will hear back from them. I wonder how long will it take for them to contact me, does any know how the process works once you get a low log number? Also is my log number a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 77,478 times
I have no idea either! I'm hoping to find out. I'm a full time student though, and they said that even if you drop to part time you will be disqualified as even just one semester of full time study makes you a full time student for the entire year. Not fair and so arbitrary as I am a working adult who doesn't live off student loans. I am hoping there is some leeway!

Old 04-29-2017, 06:22 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,345 times
There is absolutely no leeway in any of these rules, so don't count on that. You could consider going part-time for the next calendar school year, but given the precariousness of these lotteries, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. Finish your studies and move on.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM

I only have two semesters left. I'm going to finish school and keep applying and hope they're slow going :P

The federal exceptions to the student rule are:

1. If you are a full time parent working and studying, or

2. If you are married filing jointly (taxes)

I just don't get it. They're so arbitrary. If you work full time it shouldn't matter if you go to school too. I'll see what they say if I get called!

Old 04-30-2017, 12:39 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,465,345 times
The rules, guidelines, and forms have simply not kept up with the way people live and work now--and it isn't just this full-time student rule. They're operating in a 1970s world, when many of these programs were started. I would finish your last two semesters and graduate, and not give these lotteries much more thought. Don't take a lesser-paying job to qualify.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:26 PM

I already have a lesser paying job (my own business). I'm not going to school to earn more--I'm going to help my clients better with the specialized degree I'll have. I won't be earning any more than what I do now. Money to me isn't everything. I love what I do and I live frugally but comfortably, thankfully.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:17 AM

147 posts, read 229,551 times
Hi Sognatrice... I was told that as when I applied for another development but having a child overrides that. Just some info that might help if you do have one.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 AM

6,695 posts, read 6,051,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
totally. . 52 apartments for a VERY specific income. I wouldn't be shocked if 90% of those units go to interns and recent college grads from who knows where who fit the income requirement but get cash from their parents. There's already been stories of this happening to people (some actually BRAGGING and spreading the news to their friends and cohorts!). I don't give a crap what people do for a living, but come on, spread the income levels out a little better than what they are doing. The only nips I get in these lottos are really awful buildings in the Bronx looking for people with 80-120% AMI and to fill in slots, but i'm sorry I don't want to move into buildings that are already pre-loaded with section 8, NYCHA refugees (see some of the ads, they say NYCHA people have preference), and the homeless. Am I being a snob?! maybe. but the city is being a snob by only allowing the super low income and upper income into these units. Like they're all gonna have kumbaya birthday parties on the rooftop terrace. :/ please.
lololol, great post! Last year, I only qualified for one lottery - it was for a disgusting renovated building in East Harlem: They had the audacity to show just one photo - the building had a huge garbage canister in front and then it was next to another building with boarded up windows. Middle Income lottery!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM

9 posts, read 24,200 times
I received an email for an interview for bond street. I wasn't expecting anything so really grateful. Will see how everything goes.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:42 PM

87 posts, read 140,497 times
Hey Tresh,

Good luck, wat range is your log #?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery