Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 07:10 AM

387 posts, read 560,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydaisy1 View Post
They normally do preferences first. So if you have CB, municipal, or disability preference you have priority over those that don't even though their logs are higher. I'm a city employee which is why I had an interview, even the guy who interviewed me told me they were doing preferences first.
I have a question. I work for the city as well but I'm not sure how that benefits me. Typically, 50% of the apartments go to CB, fine. 5% usually goes to city employees. Let's say during the preference interview (assuming you already had an interview and approved), that 5% already gets leased to city workers-what happens then? Does your file now get moved to the general preference stack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:07 AM

59 posts, read 72,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
I have a question. I work for the city as well but I'm not sure how that benefits me. Typically, 50% of the apartments go to CB, fine. 5% usually goes to city employees. Let's say during the preference interview (assuming you already had an interview and approved), that 5% already gets leased to city workers-what happens then? Does your file now get moved to the general preference stack?
You know I've been wondering the samething. When I went for my interview, the man told me I had a good chance being I'm a city employee and my log number was in the 4xxx's. Once I got home I remembered theres only 5% for municipals. I guess we would be waitlisted until someone ahead of us doesn't qualify or moves out. This whole process is just so confusing

Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sia1943 View Post
I had my interview and they told me they will let me know in 2 months. I had my interview in mid-July.
That's the samething they told me. I'll hear back between one to two months. This friday makes two months since my interview.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You know I've been wondering the samething. When I went for my interview, the man told me I had a good chance being I'm a city employee and my log number was in the 4xxx's. Once I got home I remembered theres only 5% for municipals. I guess we would be waitlisted until someone ahead of us doesn't qualify or moves out. This whole process is just so confusing
It sure is. I have so many questions about how they process paper work LOL I drive myself crazy. It wouldn't seem fair if we would then be moved from the city pile to the gen. pref. pile, but then again...hardly anything that has to do with the city is ever simple and fair.

I'm secretly hoping alot of people got denied or turned down any offers but hey, we got called for a reason right?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslove View Post
It sure is. I have so many questions about how they process paper work LOL I drive myself crazy. It wouldn't seem fair if we would then be moved from the city pile to the gen. pref. pile, but then again...hardly anything that has to do with the city is ever simple and fair.

I'm secretly hoping alot of people got denied or turned down any offers but hey, we got called for a reason right?
Thats true but we could've been called just as a back up in case a lot of people get denied. Idk I just wish they city would set a clear guideline of how the process is from A-Z instead of having people confused and waiting on an apartment that you may not get. They should set a guideline and tomeline every development has to follow so we know what to expect. In the pictures for this building the apartments look pretty small so maybe alot of people would deny.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM

64 posts, read 60,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
Again how do people with higher numbers get emails?
Sorry I forgot to mention I was in the CB area.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:37 AM

65 posts, read 82,944 times
Anyone with NO pref got contacted for a interview with a log in the 3,XXX range. I haven't yet. And honestly sick of these stupid agencies that make up their own rules. They put you through the headache of 4-6 months of asking for paperwork then tell you at the end your disqualify for whatever way they seem to calculate your income. Or place you on a list. If they feel to be somewhat confused in your income they will try to disqualify for any reason. MAKE SURE you check their calculations!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejoe1471 View Post
Anyone with NO pref got contacted for a interview with a log in the 3,XXX range. I haven't yet. And honestly sick of these stupid agencies that make up their own rules. They put you through the headache of 4-6 months of asking for paperwork then tell you at the end your disqualify for whatever way they seem to calculate your income. Or place you on a list. If they feel to be somewhat confused in your income they will try to disqualify for any reason. MAKE SURE you check their calculations!!!!!!
The waiting game is the worst. This building didn't even give an email or number in case you have questions. When i interviewed for ocean hill ii the lady who imterviewed me gave me her email and office number in case i wanted an update. About the calculations, i noticed when the guy calculated my income he did it two different ways. He said if any one of them were over then you're disqualified. Shouldn't there be only one way to calculate?

Old 08-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The waiting game is the worst. This building didn't even give an email or number in case you have questions. When i interviewed for ocean hill ii the lady who imterviewed me gave me her email and office number in case i wanted an update. About the calculations, i noticed when the guy calculated my income he did it two different ways. He said if any one of them were over then you're disqualified. Shouldn't there be only one way to calculate?
it's actually 3 ways that they calculate it and whichever is the highest is the one that they'll assume is your income.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:58 AM

87 posts, read 140,565 times
I got an interview with this management company next week. I was contemplating if I wanted to go forward with this......cause I'm kinda holding out for LIC so I can be near my mother as it be easy for me to just hop on the train and drop my daughter off but I did wanna move closer downtown BK too. I started loving living in BK so I'm going forward with it....imma stay in BK and have the best of both worlds with my mother living in LIC. I know they aren't gonna call me right away for an apartment after I get them the paperwork which is cool because I need to get my money back up just in case cause I don't have no money saved for a move or to put down on an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery