Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 11:41 AM

125 posts, read 210,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloQueens View Post
So i went to my interview with my husband and daughter i gave them the documents, he ran the numbers and based on my husbands income, it put us into a payment bracket that was just insane... 2400 for a 2bedroom and 2000 for a 1 bedroom. Something we just aren't willing to pay. I think its insane to factor in overtime and all other additions on a paycheck. overtime isn't guaranteed. The numbers that he came up with were about 10-12k more thank my husbands actual salary.

Good look to everyone else
The bolded part is EXACTLY what I said when I had an interview for 38 Pacific. I was like how can you count something that isnt constant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 06:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,302,492 times
$2400 is the mortgage payment for a $360k loan for a house. If you can withdraw money from your 401k you would better off purchasing.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:36 AM

29 posts, read 72,494 times
They should base it on your actual salary.

But I guess it works best if you are an exempt employee v. non-exempt.

$2400 a lot. But it is a 2br. I'd prob take it, with the intent to save to buy a home soon after.

I'm really wondering if that area will build more buildings of its nature. It might be worth living there, due to the transformation in next 5 years or so.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:58 AM

32 posts, read 39,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensnative109 View Post
I am a Queens Native raised all my life and I can say where the building has been placed is in a perfect location to travel to the city and the airport. Gentrification is soon to set in that area because that building is being placed there. Its the first High Rise apartment building at that stop.

The area is not dangerous and the police are ALWAYS patrolling due to tourist coming to and from the airport.
You come out of the LIRR and the apt building is literally at the corner. It's EXTREMELY HUGE!Great Shopping area , food shopping a good schools both private and public.

I applied beginning of NOV...Contacted FEB 7th....Interviewed FEB 16TH.....returned additional documents few days later and I'm currently just waiting to hear back at this point. LOG #2O,xxx.
They are looking to fill apartments in April 2018 from what I was told. I definitely will not be passing this opportunity up. I want a 2 bedroom.

I wonder whats the next steps ...
did you inform them that you were interested in a two bedroom , during your interview?

Old 04-01-2018, 02:57 PM

32 posts, read 39,146 times
Smile Updates?

Hello All!! Has anyone learned additional information or have any updates after there initial interview??

Old 04-01-2018, 03:51 PM

20 posts, read 47,568 times
Hey CityGirl_ I had an interview Monday and met requirements for the 2 bedroom $1,121 category. I had to return two documents, one to take to my employer and the other to be notarized. I returned the documents on Friday and that is as far as I have gotten in the process. I noticed there are many applicants who were interviewed in February but are still waiting for updates. Has anyone gotten any further than this. Credit /Background check notification?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 AM

15 posts, read 29,632 times
Hey All - I haven't gotten any further than the interview. Interviewed on 3/6 and sent additional docs on 3/13 and was told that they have not had the chance to print out anything sent to them via email or fax. So I guess my application is on hold until they find the time to print out my additional docs to send to the city for approval. I stopped by the office last week and learned the following:

I was told that Heat and Hot water is included in the rent, so no electric heat which was what I was concerned about. They may or may not accept dogs, as their other buildings do not accept dogs but it hasn't been confirmed for this building. I was confirmed that the building is running behind schedule and they hope to get people moved in by summer (don't know the exact month, but wouldn't be surprised if its past August - I read somewhere that it'll be early fall). I couldn't get an exact time frame of when they would inform us if we got approved not, but I read somewhere online and wouldn't be surprised that they won't let anyone know until the all interviews are complete and the building past inspection. Looks like interviews are being placed up until June and as I said the building won't be ready until sometime in the summer - so it could be some months before we know if we got in. I hope and pray this isn't true.

If anyone heard different, please let us know!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM

36 posts, read 71,101 times
Hey everyone, I had my interview. This was my first time as a native NY'er to have ever been in that part of Queens lol.
First of all as a harlem girl who's use to the gentrification, I found the area to be ok. There is a supermarket right up the street from Alvista, a capital one bank in waking distance, bus stops close by and right out of the train station. Lirr is right there so there is that option if you need to get into manhattan faster. Some things seem to be within walking distance from each other.

Second, I had all of my documents requested for the interview. The only thing I need is a job verification form filled out from my employer. I had asked how long is the process going to take and the interviewer told me it could take a about a month or so because things have to be sent out for more verification. The interviewer also told me which apartments I qualify for and once I'm cleared through the entire process I could take a look at the apartment and see if I like it and would accept it or not.

Overall, I'm hoping and praying that the building will be done by June or I'll know that I if I got it as early as possible. I took at look at it from the outside and so far it looks done except they were still working on what looks to be the entrance of the building. Also from the advertisements, the building looks like it was supposed to take up that open land space next to it. So Idk if they may be still "constructing" even once people move in.

By the looks of it, it may be done by June. But the latest is August.(Thats what I heard) The building looks really nice from the outside, hopefully who ever gets in will help keep it that way.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 81,121 times
Did my interview today and got disqualified right away. They seem to be very organized and moving quickly. Good luck to everyone.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:22 PM

14 posts, read 47,410 times
Does anyone know what will happen if you can't find your w-2? I'm missing mine for 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery