Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,861,120 times

Advertisements

quote:
awesome..# you will get called, sometime after preference are called... best of luck to you

I hate that the lottery process is so fundamentally misunderstood. You could have an initial log number of ONE and not be called. They RANDOMLY select about 10x amount the number of people they have units for and THEN it's based on the order of log numbers. I got 137 for a lottery and was never contacted because my log number was never pulled from the INITIAL lottery. If my number was pulled, i'd have had a great shot! that's what sucks about this lol. Also, i'm terrified mail gets lost, phone calls not answered, emails going to spam. oooof
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,134,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Because they keep pretending that 100% ami means you can pay area median rent.
Or that AMI means anything like the actual median income of New York City.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:18 AM

532 posts, read 788,051 times
why my log gotta be so high 23k
i had hopes for this one too

Old 02-03-2018, 08:31 PM

12 posts, read 14,613 times
Log #14X...No preferences...Post 62% preference allocation, around 144 units should be for the grabs (assuming no interference from the manager's "side hustle" takes place)

This one would be a close fight. God willing if i get it, I'm taking a vacation from dealing with affordable housing.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM

195 posts, read 430,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
awesome..# you will get called, sometime after preference are called... best of luck to you

I hate that the lottery process is so fundamentally misunderstood. You could have an initial log number of ONE and not be called. They RANDOMLY select about 10x amount the number of people they have units for and THEN it's based on the order of log numbers. I got 137 for a lottery and was never contacted because my log number was never pulled from the INITIAL lottery. If my number was pulled, i'd have had a great shot! that's what sucks about this lol. Also, i'm terrified mail gets lost, phone calls not answered, emails going to spam. oooof

Even though the lottery process is very arbitrary to what it is supposed to be... Having a log number less than 100 with an agency that follows the rules, is quite an excellent lumber to be called/emailed etc. I had a number upper 8x and I was notified for a building with total of 34 apartments and I was not part of the preference... and I am now waiting for final HPD decision... This process has lasted 10 months.. and honestly it has been exhausting.... For those who have very low log numbers in a building such as the Alvista place with many units is quite exciting for those interested in an affordable unit... Your experience Aquarius is heart breaking, I actually never thought I would get called,, but the only thing we can do with these lotteries is to cross our fingers and hope for the best even if it means never get called.. As for the "random amount of people selected" for the units, I would think that the agency follows the rules about contacting individuals with log numbers in order, I dont know the final answer, but I am sure HPD and agency keep a comparison of individuals and logs as per the marketing book. It has been almost 3 years for me applying for affordable housing, when its Your turn, YOU will certainly know it... I tell people just keep applying.... We just never know...

Old 02-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux90 View Post
Log #14X...No preferences...Post 62% preference allocation, around 144 units should be for the grabs (assuming no interference from the manager's "side hustle" takes place)

This one would be a close fight. God willing if i get it, I'm taking a vacation from dealing with affordable housing.
Thats another great log number,, this place has many units, so your odds are quite nice... Now its time for the wait....

Old 02-05-2018, 12:21 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,764,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
For almost every AMI? Now we're talking business!
One reason I never really applied for these things is because affordable housing is always below 60% and above 120% ami. Why have affordable housing for the middle income band? Let them pay 1/2 their salary instead.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:06 PM

155 posts, read 187,185 times
Strange i have a log number of 46--- and I got an interview. I Guess its because of the preferences I got.. I meet the income requirements, I fall under the 2% criteria as well the 50% criteria.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw314 View Post
Strange i have a log number of 46--- and I got an interview. I Guess its because of the preferences I got.. I meet the income requirements, I fall under the 2% criteria as well the 50% criteria.

Thats a Nice way to start the year... Good vibes and wishing you the best through out the process...

Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,805 times
My log number is below 50, do I have a chance of being contacted for an interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery