Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 AM

37 posts, read 97,251 times

Advertisements

Was contacted for interview, original log# was in mid 5,000 range. This for 1530 bldg and their open dates to interview applicants is listed from 4/5-4/18. Will update next month.

*CB preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:15 AM

191 posts, read 222,496 times
Wow 3 interviews, u should play the powerball.. I'm in the 40ks on this one, no cb.. never gotten a single response out of all my applications, tough luck but will keep trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_555 View Post
Hi,

My number is in the low 2000's, no CB preference. But I am a little skeptical now. I've heard so many bad things about the neighborhood that I don't know what to think.

I have gone to three interviews and got accepted for the apartments, and once I saw them, I turned them down.
I hope this is not the case.
I feel that I have been lucky to be selected, but very unlucky to be called to the apartments that I really want in Manhattan.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 AM

14 posts, read 30,245 times
OK! Thanks for sharing info and good vibes

Old 03-24-2019, 05:14 PM

155 posts, read 122,403 times
Quote:
Hi,

My number is in the low 2000's, no CB preference. But I am a little skeptical now. I've heard so many bad things about the neighborhood that I don't know what to think.

I have gone to three interviews and got accepted for the apartments, and once I saw them, I turned them down.
I hope this is not the case.
I feel that I have been lucky to be selected, but very unlucky to be called to the apartments that I really want in Manhattan.
I applied for this lottery and got a log number of 20K, however, I currently live in the same complex where these new affordable buildings were built, so I have community preference.

Also - I'm privy to information that some are not, as we have been having meetings with our tenant association about the new buildings.

I can tell you that this immediate part of Soundview is not as riddled with crime because we are somewhat isolated and there is not much around here. The biggest issue really, which the tenant association has been trying to tease out is transportation. Currently, the easiest way in and out of this part of Soundview is via the Bx5 bus to either Hunts Point Av or Simpson Street. You can walk over the Bruckner Blvd and towards Westchester Avenue if you'd like, but that portion of Soundview is definitely less safer than the stretch near Story Avenue. The Bx5 currently does not handle the morning rush crowds well at all. Buses are usually packed heading west towards Hunts Point & Simpson St by Morrison Avenue. A lot of times, they skip Boynton and Evergreen Avenues because its just pointless to try to squeeze in more passengers. And then there is the Bruckner Expwy traffic that the bus has to battle before reaching Hunts Point. Hopefully, the MTA and DOT can work together to address our needs as the situation is only going to get worse as tenants move into this building.

If you have any questions, ask away :-)

Old 03-25-2019, 07:19 AM

61 posts, read 68,704 times
Yes, apply to many apartment as you can, that's what I usually do.
Good Luck!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM

61 posts, read 68,704 times
Hi Midtown07,

Are the bedrooms big in the building?
How about the parking? How much do they charge per month?

I drive, so I hope that the transportation is not an issues for me if I get an apartment there.
The only problem is that my daughter attends a high school all the way in downtown, so hopefully traffic is not super crazy.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 PM

155 posts, read 122,403 times
Quote:
Hi Midtown07,

Are the bedrooms big in the building?
How about the parking? How much do they charge per month?

I drive, so I hope that the transportation is not an issues for me if I get an apartment there.
The only problem is that my daughter attends a high school all the way in downtown, so hopefully traffic is not super crazy.

Thanks!
The bedrooms are not quite as big as the bedrooms in the original 19-story buildings. I am trying to find the floor plan that was shared with the current Lafayette Boynton tenants.

Currently, parking costs approximately $85-95 a month. Parking on the complex is pretty safe. The is also PLENTY of parking behind the complex along Lafayette Avenue. I've had family park their car back there and it's been safe, considering that Lafayette Avenue borders Soundview Park which is desolate and sometimes dark at night.

Traffic right now is tough due to construction happening at the Bruckner Expwy/Major Deegan/RFK bridge which backs up the Bruckner Expwy all the way to the Bronx River Pkwy. I've found that taking the service road underneath the Bruckner Expwy to the RFK Bridge, or any of the other free bridge crossings saves time and avoids traffic.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:35 AM

22 posts, read 35,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
I got a letter saying we didn’t get any of the apartments we viewed.
Hi Dreamernyc,
Do u know how many internal applicants in the 2 bedroom without balcony waiting list? So you are currently at 11 for the external list? And u got a letter before. Wondering how many ppl they call out to bview the aps? Like 30 ppl in once?

Thanks

Old 03-27-2019, 07:10 AM

7 posts, read 8,043 times
Thank you!

The total amount of time was about 4 months (Nov-Feb).

I've only seen the one apartment/line I'm in so I don't know how it compares to other studios but for me, it doesn't feel small-- it feels roomy. It doesn't feel like the shoebox studios you see in NY--everyone who's visited has said it's a very spacious studio. You have a lot of storage (cabinets are big and this line has the only walk-in closet in addition to a nice size second closet) and just overall space to move around. I am very content with my studio.

Unfortunately, I don't know about the subleasing protocols.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 AM

69 posts, read 101,267 times
Has anyone moved in yet? Or signed a lease? Is the building ready?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery