Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 51,920 times

Advertisements

How long did it take between sending in your application and your check being cashed? I am paranoid I did something wrong as my check hasn't been cashed yet but it's only been a few days since my deadline which was 10/27. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 05:37 AM

233 posts, read 403,554 times
I sent my application in on September 23 and my check was cashed on October 3rd, so it was just under two weeks.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:44 PM

24 posts, read 51,920 times
Thanks so much for the response hkcg!!! That helps!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 AM

You're welcome! I know that anyone who sent in an application probably has quite a few questions about the wait-list number, wait list times, etc. I have been reading some posts on a site called Click your Block - Penn South, which may or may not clarify things. I think that there are so many variables, especially since the price has gone up (but still obviously really really low for NYC), that each person's wait time is different. I have seen posts that say they were asked to look at apartments when their number was 100, and another post said they looked at apartments when they had a low number, but then waited for a year or more to get an apt. Yet another post said the wait times would be shorter because mgmt wanted to get people off the lists in 5 years. But, who knows?

Meanwhile, I am going to wait patiently in my beautiful, sort of expensive apt. that I love, but worth it.

Check out that site - there are quite a few posts about external lists and internal lists.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:43 AM

154 posts, read 289,006 times
hkgc, have you been given a wait list number yet? I'm still not seeing ours on the website, even though our check was cashed two months ago.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Hi mollybloom,

No, I have not received a number yet. Penn South extended the application deadline to today, Nov. 30, so I'm hoping that we hear something before the end of the year. I am on the studio list and my number is pretty high, so I don't expect to get an apt. as quickly as some others, which is fine, but I, like you and many others, would like to at least see where we stand.

Meanwhile, check out youtube; there's a video of a studio apt (15E, not sure which building), where you can get an idea of what the apartments are like, even though I'm sure many have changed over the years.

When I get my number, I'll let you know.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM

154 posts, read 289,006 times
The wait is killing me. We were given number 96 on our application -- I am dying to know if that number will go up or down, but I guess giving up control is part of the whole list process. Having now read this thread more carefully, it actually sounds like this might not be a ten-year wait as I originally thought. Don't want to get my hopes up too high though. Going to check out that YouTube video now if I can find it, thanks for it hkcg.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 13,846 times
got my lottery and computer number today in mail....

Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 PM

35 posts, read 75,463 times
Hi SmarterChild, I'm confused, didn't you receive that info when you got the application?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:14 AM

I got my computer number too. It is different from the original lottery number. The lottery number is the order in which one was selected. For example, if your lottery number is 123, then your postcard was the 123rd post card to be picked. The computer number doesn't reflect your place in line either because the letter states how many people are ahead of you and that you will not be contacted until it's time to look at an apartment(s).

I have a pretty high number, which is fine since I just signed a 2 year lease, but I am looking forward to moving to Penn South!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery