Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM

110 posts, read 219,161 times

Advertisements

Just curious...Has anyone on the 1Br waiting list who specified they wanted a balcony been called to look at apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 12:13 PM

3 posts, read 6,658 times
Default Viewing apts

@lstacy22 wouldnt that mean you only have 22 people in front of you? I went to see apts as well, it states i have 27th choice.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,658 times
I dont understand how i can have 347 applicants in front of me, but was called to view apartments.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM

15 posts, read 29,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Hi Lenalenay,

I'm on the 2-bedroom waiting list. The number I received in the lottery was 97, but when I got my computer number, I discovered I was number 529 on the waiting list. In March, my placement moved but not nearly as much as the studios and 1-bedrooms. I am now 520 on the waiting list. By my calculations, it would take around 13 years to get down to the bottom of the list, however it appears one doesn't need to get down to the 100's to be called, so it might be closer to 10 years. I think we'll know more about the movement of the 2-bedroom list after a year or two -- hard to make a determination after only one quarter.

Good luck!
Thanks mollybloom. As others suggested, I wrote to Pennsouth and obtained my computer number. Response time was less than a month. I'm placed 569 on the list. Glad not to be in the dark any longer now that I know where I stand.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 AM

35 posts, read 75,479 times
Default malymoe Viewing apts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malymoe View Post
@lstacy22 wouldnt that mean you only have 22 people in front of you? I went to see apts as well, it states i have 27th choice.
Hi Malymoe, my theory is that there are around 300 applications placed on hold from previous lotteries (they couldn't contact the applicants, they had no money, etc.), so that is why even though you have a number in the 300's you are being called.

Could you tell us your approximated lottery number? I think that in real terms, the lottery number is a better indicator - Mine is in the mid 160's and have 399 people ahead of me. So I am 52 spots behind you. All in theory.

I know by a fact that people like to move in and out more often in the spring and summer, so I would not be surprised to see the numbers move a little bit faster in the next 6 months.

Thanks !

E

Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 AM

233 posts, read 403,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduronyc View Post
Hi Malymoe, my theory is that there are around 300 applications placed on hold from previous lotteries (they couldn't contact the applicants, they had no money, etc.), so that is why even though you have a number in the 300's you are being called.

Could you tell us your approximated lottery number? I think that in real terms, the lottery number is a better indicator - Mine is in the mid 160's and have 399 people ahead of me. So I am 52 spots behind you. All in theory.

I know by a fact that people like to move in and out more often in the spring and summer, so I would not be surprised to see the numbers move a little bit faster in the next 6 months.

Thanks !

E
Yes, I agree with Eduronyc. The price of the apartments has gone up significantly since some of the wait-listers were originally placed. If they put their positions on hold because they didn't have the money then, unless their financial situation has drastically improved, they will stay on the hold list until they can get the money or improve their credit score or whatever their individual situation is. That's why the 2014 lottery winners are being called so soon.

And that's a good point about people moving in the spring and summer. The list should be updated in June, so let's see what happens.

hkcg

Old 05-11-2015, 02:04 PM

25 posts, read 48,481 times
Hi All,

Sorry been a little MIA, however I do have good news - I was offered a 1 BDR apartment last week and today I just went in to hand in my paperwork and my closing date has been set to be June 1st.

When they called me last week they offered me the choice between 2 remaining apartments so there is probably 1 more 1bdr apartment left after me.

For those who were wondering the 1 bdr apts who have smaller kitchens are about 780 sq feet.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by lstacy22; 05-11-2015 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 04:33 PM

35 posts, read 75,479 times
Istacy22 - Congrats !!!! and thanks for keeping us on the loop !

Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 AM

233 posts, read 403,867 times
Thanks, lstacy22!

Congratulations! You must be so excited.

Thank you so much for letting us in on the process. Good luck with the closing and the move!

hkcg

Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 PM

13 posts, read 22,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstacy22 View Post
Hi All,

Sorry been a little MIA, however I do have good news - I was offered a 1 BDR apartment last week and today I just went in to hand in my paperwork and my closing date has been set to be June 1st.

When they called me last week they offered me the choice between 2 remaining apartments so there is probably 1 more 1bdr apartment left after me.

For those who were wondering the 1 bdr apts who have smaller kitchens are about 780 sq feet.

If you have any questions, let me know. I will keep you guys posted.
Hey lstacy22, sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery