Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 AM

233 posts, read 403,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdvjess View Post
We did not indicate we wanted a balcony. I'm so excited that it may turn out that we only have to put 25% down but I'll guess we'll see once we are hopefully called for an apartment!
Congratulations, jdvjess!

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

So far at least 2 people have said they may only have to put 25% down. But lstacy22 had to pay 50%? Please correct me if I'm wrong, lstacy22. I guess I'm just a little confused. I think it's great if they have reduced the percentage required upfront, but I'm wondering if there is any official word or you just find out when you're called. Anyway, just wondering.

hkcg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:52 AM

128 posts, read 227,557 times
I thought they would have updated the list this month but there's no change. Any idea if the list will be updated quarterly?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 AM

25 posts, read 48,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Congratulations, jdvjess!

I hope it goes smoothly for you.

So far at least 2 people have said they may only have to put 25% down. But lstacy22 had to pay 50%? Please correct me if I'm wrong, lstacy22. I guess I'm just a little confused. I think it's great if they have reduced the percentage required upfront, but I'm wondering if there is any official word or you just find out when you're called. Anyway, just wondering.

hkcg
Yes, as of 06/01/15 the date I closed, it was still 50% down.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
I thought they would have updated the list this month but there's no change. Any idea if the list will be updated quarterly?
I just checked my status, and you're right; the list hasn't moved.

I did, however, see a place where you can sign up for a newsletter. You don't have to be "in" yet; there is an option for "non-resident." I have yet to receive a newsletter, but I'm curious to see the content.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstacy22 View Post
Yes, as of 06/01/15 the date I closed, it was still 50% down.
Thank you, lstacy22! I really appreciate your responses as I'm sure everybody who is on the wait-list does. We are the kids with our noses up against the glass of the candy store while you're inside!

And thanks to everyone who is letting us in on the process. I can't say enough how helpful it is.

hkcg

Old 06-22-2015, 03:59 PM

31 posts, read 58,406 times
Hi everyone,
Sorry for the silence, I've been a bit stressed out over the process. Closing date was moved up to July 1st with a slight raise in the cost of the equity. I think the increase to 75% financing has JUST gotten implemented, they actually told me when I was applying for the loan with the credit union that I was the very first to have financed that amount. I just found out last Wednesday that the loan was approved, 6% interest over 10 years, which is not great, but glad I was able to get something on such short notice.

Yes, I was on the list through my parents before the lottery system was implemented, so I think that they had me on a different list. The interview was quite easy, just make sure to bring all the documentation. It is correct that you can provide a copy of your state income tax return while you are waiting for a certified copy.

Lstacy: Would you be kind enough to comment on the closing process? I am not sure what exactly to expect other than bringing the different checks. Also, I have gotten homeowners insurance, but I can't seem to find any guidelines about what the minimum requirements were for getting it were. I took out one for a $1000 deductible, but am wondering if they might have been requiring $500.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM

25 posts, read 48,445 times
Hi justchris82,

Don't worry I completely understand how you are feeling right now. It's very overwhelming and stressful but as everyone is telling me, it's all worth it in the end.

I'm glad to hear that they now allow 75% financing because I'm sure they might be having issues with people being able to pay the 50% down up front. As for the 6% interest rate, it is definitely a bit on the high side considering the mortgage interest rate right now should be around 3-4% (dependent on other variables of course), but I think down the road you can refinance if anything.

I would recommend you go through the Honig Conte Porrino Insurance Agency that they recommend for you (it should be in the packet). I compared quotes from a few of the homeowners insurance companies like GEICO, STATE FARM, etc and none were as cheap as the policy that they found for me. They are basically brokers that search for the cheapest policy and because they work with Penn South they know exactly the coverage amounts that they require and they will even forward a copy of your certificate to the management office for you. I believe it is $25,000 personal property insurance and $300,000 per incident for personal liability.

The closing itself is a pretty quick and painless process. You basically meet with the credit union if you are taking a loan from them and after that you will meet with Carmen to complete the closing - giving her all the checks, signing the occupancy agreement, and then you will get your keys!

Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM

8 posts, read 16,852 times
Still no update to the studio waiting list status online. Last update was 3/13, which which would have put the 3 month update in mid June.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:25 AM

128 posts, read 227,557 times
They are supposed to update the list quarterly but maybe there's a lot of movement going on now and they need more time. Hopefully after this holiday weekend, they'll get on it.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:35 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
I went to a party on the Fourth and two of the party-goers have lived there for years.
Needless to say, they LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery