Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 07:47 AM

128 posts, read 228,122 times

Advertisements

I called the office last week and the young lady who answered the phone said they always update the list in July but they were having computer problems so maybe that's why nothing has changed yet. I don't know who she was or what her function is. And yes, our letters stated the list would be updated quarterly which would have meant an update in June so I don't know how reliable this information is. I guess we just have to hang in there and wait. Easier said then done, I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 AM

110 posts, read 219,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobePS View Post
Hi All, Does anyone know what's going on with the Waiting List. They originally said they would update it every 3 mos. Last time it was updated was over 4 months ago (3/13/2015). I'd really like to keep track of how fast the 1 BR with terrace list is going so I have an idea of how many years I have to wait. If anyone has spoken with them about the delay in updating the list can you please post. Thanks!
I'm wondering the same thing!! I'm beginning to regret requesting a 1br with a terrace only as I think people who had a higher # than me on the list have already been called to look at apartments (without balconies). At the same time, I really want a balcony and suppose it's worth waiting a bit longer since I plan to live there for a really long time.

I really, really hate waiting and just wish it was easier to gauge when to expect a call. Based on others who've already gotten apartments, I have no idea if I'm looking at weeks, months or years! Most likely years, but a girl can dream!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,283,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
I'm wondering the same thing!! I'm beginning to regret requesting a 1br with a terrace only as I think people who had a higher # than me on the list have already been called to look at apartments (without balconies). At the same time, I really want a balcony and suppose it's worth waiting a bit longer since I plan to live there for a really long time.

I really, really hate waiting and just wish it was easier to gauge when to expect a call. Based on others who've already gotten apartments, I have no idea if I'm looking at weeks, months or years! Most likely years, but a girl can dream!
I waited 8 years for my one bedroom with a balcony--but that was before they changed the system. I don't think you'll wait that long going forward.

For what its worth, I am really glad I got mine with a balcony--in warmer weather it's nice to sit out there with a table and chairs. I've put out a few plants to soften it up a bit. Almost every apartment with a balcony has a decent view--and some have stunning views. Mine is in between decent and stunning.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM

110 posts, read 219,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I waited 8 years for my one bedroom with a balcony--but that was before they changed the system. I don't think you'll wait that long going forward.

For what its worth, I am really glad I got mine with a balcony--in warmer weather it's nice to sit out there with a table and chairs. I've put out a few plants to soften it up a bit. Almost every apartment with a balcony has a decent view--and some have stunning views. Mine is in between decent and stunning.
That's refreshing to know, thank you! I think it's definitely worth the wait to have a balcony - I love having people over and sitting outside on nice days. Do you remember what your lottery number was when you were picked? I know it's changed a lot, and there are still people on the list from before, but my lottery number was just over 50 and when I check the waiting list (that was updated in March) it says there are just over 300 people ahead of me.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 AM

11 posts, read 26,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
I called the office last week and the young lady who answered the phone said they always update the list in July but they were having computer problems so maybe that's why nothing has changed yet. I don't know who she was or what her function is. And yes, our letters stated the list would be updated quarterly which would have meant an update in June so I don't know how reliable this information is. I guess we just have to hang in there and wait. Easier said then done, I know.

Thanks for the info MRSPEEL77!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:46 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,283,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
That's refreshing to know, thank you! I think it's definitely worth the wait to have a balcony - I love having people over and sitting outside on nice days. Do you remember what your lottery number was when you were picked? I know it's changed a lot, and there are still people on the list from before, but my lottery number was just over 50 and when I check the waiting list (that was updated in March) it says there are just over 300 people ahead of me.
I can't remember what my lottery number was, but when I checked the online computer list I was at over a thousand. I didn't think I'd live to see the day I made it down the list.

I was called at around 400 which surprised me. I later found out that the wait was so long that people moved out of the city, died, didn't qualify anymore, didn't have the money or simply moved to a different address in the city and didn't get the mailed notification letter.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,878 times
Am I still qualified for a Penn south unit if a house is partially under my name? I'm not going to disclose why I have my name under a house but I don't really own it.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 228,122 times
It doesn't matter what your lottery number was. The waiting list number(how many people are ahead of you) is the number you'll want to keep checking on.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 PM

25 posts, read 48,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi All,

I think the wait list update may be delayed due to what mrspeel77 also said in an earlier post: they are processing so many new people that the wait list update is a secondary priority. It makes sense because they want to provide an accurate number, even though it could take months or years before we are called.

I have a question for people who have recently bought about looking at the actual apartments. Do you look with a Penn South employee, or do they just give you the keys and say have a look? Can you take pictures?Are there other wait-listers looking with you? I can't help but picture some sort of Penn South Hunger Games .

Also, some people have mentioned another wait-list after you look. I guess it depends on where you are on the original wait list?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

hkcg
They will give you a set of keys to look at a few apartments within a certain time frame and then you go back and exchange those set of keys for another set of keys for a few more apartments and so on and so forth. You can take pictures and you will be looking at these apartments on your own which is good because you can take your time and take down notes/pictures.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:49 AM

233 posts, read 406,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
Thanks for calling the office, mrspeel77. This is very helpful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery