Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:55 AM

233 posts, read 403,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstacy22 View Post
They will give you a set of keys to look at a few apartments within a certain time frame and then you go back and exchange those set of keys for another set of keys for a few more apartments and so on and so forth. You can take pictures and you will be looking at these apartments on your own which is good because you can take your time and take down notes/pictures.
Thanks, lstacy22. That seems like a stress-free way to look at the apartments. I appreciate your helpful responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM

233 posts, read 403,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
I called the office last week and the young lady who answered the phone said they always update the list in July but they were having computer problems so maybe that's why nothing has changed yet. I don't know who she was or what her function is. And yes, our letters stated the list would be updated quarterly which would have meant an update in June so I don't know how reliable this information is. I guess we just have to hang in there and wait. Easier said then done, I know.
I just checked the wait list, and they have finally updated it! I moved up 17 places on the studio list. Not as many places as I had hoped, but I'm just glad they updated it. I think the list will move more slowly now that the 25% down payment has been implemented.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM

110 posts, read 218,947 times
Thanks for the update. I just checked and have only moved up 9 places on the 1br with balcony waiting list. Better than nothing, I guess!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:33 AM

128 posts, read 227,551 times
Yes I just checked too. I moved up 26 places on the one bedroom/no preference.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:27 AM

154 posts, read 288,528 times
I just checked and we moved up 44 places on the 2-bedroom waiting list! I can't believe it, especially since last quarter we only moved up 9 places. So for all of you who didn't see huge movement, it seems it can vary a lot quarter by quarter. I'm now at 476 on the waiting list. Is it crazy to think we might get a call when we're below the 200's? If so, an estimate of 60 spots a year of movement (not sure if this is too liberal a guess, I suppose we will only have the full picture after we go through all four quarters) would mean less than a five year wait. Exciting!

Can anyone who has gotten selected comment on income? If you earn a bit over the maximum, does the apartment simply cost more?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:46 AM

I just realized I'm not clear on what the "monthly carrying charges" are. Does that mean the monthly maintenance, or the cost of paying off the mortgage? I assume it's the former.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,269,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
I just realized I'm not clear on what the "monthly carrying charges" are. Does that mean the monthly maintenance, or the cost of paying off the mortgage? I assume it's the former.
The carrying charges are billed separately from any *individual* mortgage you have. They cover maintenance, salaries, and the overall mortgage of the complex itself. Carrying charges are based upon how big the apartment is. You'll hear some people refer to it as "rent" but that is not correct.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Thanks, barkomatic. Do you know (or does anyone know) if these maintenance fees go up periodically? It seems to me that they must.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,269,117 times
Quote:
Thanks, barkomatic. Do you know (or does anyone know) if these maintenance fees go up periodically? It seems to me that they must.
Occasionally they do -- though they don't rise nearly as much or in proportion to area rents. This is kinda complicated.

The HVAC project required an additional contribution from each cooperator that is on the same bill as carrying charges. My understanding is that this charge will appear for 10 years only and all payments will be added to our equity. I believe you may not see this charge as you will be paying the additional equity up front. Since it was a charge after the fact for current residents, they set up these payments.

The real carrying charge increase happened last July I believe and it was a flat 10% increase that I think was also due to the massively expensive HVAC project.

Despite these increases, when I add my mortgage, carrying charges and additional equity payment the total still comes in well below what a person would pay for the same size apartment in rent. It's about 1/3 to 1/4 the amount someone pays to rent a market rate apartment.

I know a guy a few blocks away in a market rate one bedroom *coop* paying $7,200 a month for his mortgage and $1,500 for carrying charges.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:52 PM

483 posts, read 692,283 times
Quote:
I just checked and we moved up 44 places on the 2-bedroom waiting list! I can't believe it, especially since last quarter we only moved up 9 places. So for all of you who didn't see huge movement, it seems it can vary a lot quarter by quarter. I'm now at 476 on the waiting list. Is it crazy to think we might get a call when we're below the 200's? If so, an estimate of 60 spots a year of movement (not sure if this is too liberal a guess, I suppose we will only have the full picture after we go through all four quarters) would mean less than a five year wait. Exciting!
I was selected in or about lstacy's group and called at, like, 350, for 1-bdrs without terraces. (I had gotten on the list at something like 375.) I think the reason I got called so early is because the 349 or so applications/households beneath me, were from that bedrock of un-findable contenders who have moved, frozen their applications, shuffled off this mortal coil, or what-have-you.

So theoretically, I would say they could call you at almost any time, pay no attention to how close you are or aren't to "1".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery