Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 PM

172 posts, read 151,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1900 View Post
Log # LOW Double digit

Interview :May 16

TIC documents
signed on :June 7th

I was really hoping for August move in date, seems like it will probably be Sept. Despite the wait, I'm grateful to have randomly found this page. Everyone sharing updates is very encouraging because this process can be draining.
Thank you for your update

At least this gives me a timeline of when others have signed their documents and such

I'm also hoping for a September move in date and I'm also glad I've researched this forum lol

I hope to get in building 418 or the townhouses at least lol and I cannot wait to meet my neighbors

this is like college dorm all over again for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 03:45 PM

132 posts, read 220,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkandgreen View Post
I'm scheduled to close soon, and want to take the opportunity to urge everyone who has viewed an apartment to start gathering their paperwork, even if you think you won't get in at this round! My meeting to establish eligibility was scheduled on short notice due to my going out of town for a while, and fortunately I had started the process a few weeks earlier. One of the documents needed is a transcript of your federal income tax, which you should be able to download online from the IRS. When I tried to sign up, however, I wasn't able to receive my verification code via text, so I had to wait for it by mail. The certified NYS income tax is sent via mail as well, and takes a full month. Carmen told me not having the certified forms won't hold up the closing as a photocopy will suffice at the eligibility meeting, but I would feel better to have all my documents in at the time of closing if possible.

I have a question for those who have already moved in. The move-in rules state that a security deposit is not necessary for moving in certain items. Do you still need to arrange for the padding in the elevator though, and get permission? The items listed include a mattress and a tv. And what if you have several boxes you can pile onto a dolly or luggage rack? I'm just wondering if I can move several items myself in a few trips.
Technically, yes, you are supposed to reserve the elevator for any move-in and any "furniture or other large or bulky property or item". In practice, if you drive up with your own car or truck and only have a TV and mattress and a few boxes, security probably won't stop you. They also have no way of making you only use the padded elevator during the move. There are security cameras in the elevators so they will know if you are moving a lot of things, and/or if you damage the elevator. I would try to arrange for the padding if you can. ETA: congrats on the closing!

Last edited by Incog79; 07-26-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-26-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
Congrats! Yes you start paying immediately even if you don't move in yet.
Maintenance hooks up the stove.
I got full size appliances but they are counter depth, I got them from PC Richards.
I installed my own kitchen floor using self stick vinyl tiles. The closets all needed flooring as well, I used the same tile in the linen closet and carpet in the others.
BTW, the maintenance crew will do odd jobs for you on their own time at very reasonable rates. I had them mount my TV, install window treatments and plaster the walls where I had electric work done.
We moved ourselves in.
Welcome to Penn South, you're gonna love it here!
Have you hung anything on the wall yourself? I've found the combination of masonry and plaster to be a huge PITA. I drilled into the masonry and sank anchors for a curtain rod, but I don't want to go to that much trouble for a picture frame (and a nail by itself won't hold itself in the plaster). Thanks.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Thanks, Incog79! I'm going to check out some refrigerators today. I'm also going to look at full size mattresses vs. queen. A full is about 6 inches less wide and 5 inches less long than a queen, so I don't know how much difference it makes, but I'm going to check some out.

The apartments I've seen so far are in the E line and 1 in the D line. The 21st floor E line is considered 2 rooms, and it is definitely smaller than the other E line studios.

Thanks!
For our studio (D line, but on a high floor so not the standard layout) we got a full. A queen would have been OK length-wise but it was too wide for our preferred layout and existing furniture. We had to get a new bedframe either way and our queen mattress was getting old, otherwise we probably would have gone with a queen. After almost three years of sharing a full, I am definitely ready to go back to a queen.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:02 AM

128 posts, read 227,825 times
Yes we have and you're right, the walls are terrible in that regard. My husband bought a hammer drill, which is the type of drill the maintenance guys used and that works, I don't know what makes it work but it does. I've also used command strips which hold up very well.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:38 AM

233 posts, read 404,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
Congrats! Yes you start paying immediately even if you don't move in yet.
Maintenance hooks up the stove.
I got full size appliances but they are counter depth, I got them from PC Richards.
I installed my own kitchen floor using self stick vinyl tiles. The closets all needed flooring as well, I used the same tile in the linen closet and carpet in the others.
BTW, the maintenance crew will do odd jobs for you on their own time at very reasonable rates. I had them mount my TV, install window treatments and plaster the walls where I had electric work done.
We moved ourselves in.
Welcome to Penn South, you're gonna love it here!
Thanks, mrspeel77! I'm not in yet, but I really want to avoid any pitfalls that I can, and all this information that you and other PS owners have provided is really helpful. I will definitely ask the maintenance crew to help me out. I would rather pay someone to do the job right! And I'll probably go with the stick on tiles too.

Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM

233 posts, read 404,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeow18 View Post
HI hkcg,

I read that your questions were being answered already but I just want to add that on closing day, you will need to sign/authorize an auto-deposit form for the monthly common charges. I can't remember if they had told me or not, but I thought it was going to be effective, if not immediately, in a week or two. I was so wrong. It takes three months!!! So I didn't send in a check for June because I thought it was going to be direct deposited (I also didn't get the invoice from management, so naturally I thought it was processed) When it came July, I was hit with late fees! So I called the management office, they told me I was told during closing that it would take three months for the auto-deposit to take effect and that I wouldn't get the invoice from management for the first month. Honestly, I don't remember them telling me that but I have no proof and honestly no point to argue. So I sucked it up and paid the late fee. So, just keep in mind you will still have to mail in the check for the first two months.

I called maintenance to install my gas stove; it was pretty easy. Free of charge.

I got my appliances from PC Richard & Sons but NOT from the store. I got it online. Try to go to their website and start a chat session with the online sales. I ended up getting a big discount with free shipping and free upgrade for both of my appliances to 2yr warranty. Awesome customer service! Make sure you tell them to email a copy of the coi both to management and to yourself. The security won't let the delivery guy in the building without the coi. My fridge is a 24" LG 11.1 Cu. Ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator and my stove is the 30" GE 5-Burner Freestanding Gas Range with Convection Oven Griddle. I also stick a free standing 15" IKEA base cabinet between them and it fits like a glove. Perfect for studio kitchen!

Hope this helps and good luck

Meow
Hi Meow,

Thanks. Yes, this is helpful! At this point I don't know when I'll be getting my next letter to view apartments, but I've got 4 months left on my current lease, so I'm hoping it all falls in place. I'm hoping that more people decide to move in the summer and more apartments become available.

Thanks again for all the helpful information!

hkcg

Old 07-27-2019, 01:45 PM

483 posts, read 693,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Have you hung anything on the wall yourself? I've found the combination of masonry and plaster to be a huge PITA. I drilled into the masonry and sank anchors for a curtain rod, but I don't want to go to that much trouble for a picture frame (and a nail by itself won't hold itself in the plaster). Thanks.
I was able to hang some pictures in the living-room walls; I think because I used those specially designed extra-sharp nails they sell specifically with the picture-hanging hooks. (In my experience, this is a constant with thick walls - you can have the biggest impact behind the tool, but if the tool head/edge is dull, it doesn't matter how much force you apply behind the tool). My father tried to drill into the bedroom to set up a curtain rod, but it looked like it was just going to wreck the wall if he pressed his luck; and I wound up going with a combination of tension-based curtain rods and Command hooks/shelving, for everything that wasn't a picture.

Also, in reference to move-in, I feel I should point out that while they pad the elevator, they did not take the elevator out of service for my move/dedicate it only to my floor, which further slowed us down; since it kept rolling up and down the elevator shafts to pick up/drop off everyone else.

I've seen plenty of elevator padding here since then; I've never seen another mover or group of movers, for whatever that is worth. There are fairly frequent renovation notices posted in the lobby for individual apartment work. It's possible that some of the paddings are set up for that reason; craftsmen carrying and wheeling heavy potentially destructive items up in the elevator. (Come to think of it, I might start asking my porters and maintenance people why the padding is up, when it is up. I never have. That might fill in some gaps in the knowledge base.)

Old 07-27-2019, 03:22 PM

128 posts, read 227,825 times
The padding is also put up for furniture and appliance deliveries. If you schedule a delivery or move in/out, the padding is up from 9-5, no matter what time you need it for.

Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,784,440 times
Floreats:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-picture-hangers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery