Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,713,674 times

Advertisements

Where do they announce the waiting lists when they open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 AM

483 posts, read 695,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBueno View Post
Hello,
I went to look at 6 apartments last week, but I am number 21 on the list. Not sure If I would get any of these if people before me on the waiting list decide to take it. I made the horrible decision to reject one and I hope this does not affect me what so ever. I don't know if I can call them ask if I can change that.
Where is your process now since you are number 5?

Thanks
Yeah, I recall distinctly one of the extant cooperators advising me and another person (we too had to view at a couple of apartments that were still occupied) not to reject any apartments at all off the bat. He didn't give us consequences so I have no idea why, except for the fact that if you reject two, of course I think you get thrown to the back of the waiting list line (?); so maybe the idea was you simply shouldn't refuse any because you might need to throw a Hail Mary on in there if you find yourself with a super-objectionable flaw you can't look past. This made for some interesting experiences, because a couple of the apartments had odd flaws that I was afraid to mention at the time because I feared they would be seen as tantamount to a "rejection" (thankfully I was not forced to choose either of these). The more expensive of the one-bedrooms with that larger eat-in kitchen space, something which I thought would have been nice but not essential to have, went immediately to the people ahead of me - I had a waitlist spot in the teens myself, and still had my choice of several nice apartments. You should also keep in mind that you might be able to borrow against a workplace retirement plan for part of your cash down payment percentage; though of course this could result in unfortunate consequences if you don't like your current job and are dreaming of getting away from it.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM

128 posts, read 228,138 times
I was advised to accept all after initial viewing because you can, if you choose to, reject at allocation. and just to clarify, if you reject 2 you are off the list not thrown to the back of the list. Basically you can only reject one because the second rejection tosses you out.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:57 PM

22 posts, read 35,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
yea same here. started in 500s in 2014, now under 150 as of february 2018.
Thanks. I m currently at 150 of the 1 bedroom with balcony list which felt like it wasn’t moving much since 2015. This might due to lots of internal applicant who wants go transfer to an apt with balcony. The system said only 18 1-bedrm with balcony available in 2017.
When you check ur 2 bedrooms waiting list, how many rooms does it turn around annually?

I had a colleague who moved into 2 bedrooms 9 yrs ago and she said she had waited for 13 years. According to her, there are lots of turn around apts in the recent years. Based on the age of the original owners, the waiting list prob will move much faster than before.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 PM

40 posts, read 77,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDaDaDa View Post
Thanks. I m currently at 150 of the 1 bedroom with balcony list which felt like it wasn’t moving much since 2015. This might due to lots of internal applicant who wants go transfer to an apt with balcony. The system said only 18 1-bedrm with balcony available in 2017.
When you check ur 2 bedrooms waiting list, how many rooms does it turn around annually?

I had a colleague who moved into 2 bedrooms 9 yrs ago and she said she had waited for 13 years. According to her, there are lots of turn around apts in the recent years. Based on the age of the original owners, the waiting list prob will move much faster than before.

From the waiting list login:

There are a total of 864 2-Bedroom apartments in Penn South, 447 with a balcony, and 417 without a balcony.
Over the past year, turnover rates are as follows:
A total of 11 2-Bedroom apartments with a balcony became available in 2017.
A total of 13 2-Bedroom apartments without a balcony became available in 2017.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:10 AM

233 posts, read 406,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Where do they announce the waiting lists when they open?
I just happened to pick up one of those subway papers - AM or Metro - I cant remember which one, but there was an ad for the open lottery. this was in July of 2014. I sent in my postcards ( I qualified for a 1 bedroom and studio ), and got on the studio list. So, I would recommend that you pick up those free papers and look at the ads for apartments. Also, there is a website for affordable apartments in NYC - not sure what it's officially called.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:59 AM

We were allocated an apartment yesterday. We close on a one-bedroom in one month from today. Very excited!

Old 07-20-2018, 02:11 PM

37 posts, read 62,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
We were allocated an apartment yesterday. We close on a one-bedroom in one month from today. Very excited!
Congratulations!! That's wonderful. Did you get with or without balcony? I am currently (as of 2/2018) number 255. May I ask what number you are as of the feb. update? I'm trying to gauge if I will be called soon.

Thank you

Old 07-20-2018, 07:44 PM

no balcony. My application was on hold for over a year so it never updated during that time. I was in the 500's at the start in 2014. I took it off hold in May and was called to view apartments in June.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:48 AM

233 posts, read 406,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
Mrspeel77, Congratulations! Let us know how it goes.

hkcg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery