Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2019, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 18,816 times

Advertisements

Macnyc, I got the information about qualifying for a mortgage from the previous posts on this thread, and general google research. Of course I should also speak with a mortgage broker, in this case, specifically the Penn South credit union. If I end up putting my application on hold due to financing, I’ll make sure to share the process on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2019, 12:45 PM

14 posts, read 18,211 times
I'm on the wait list for a studio. Is it possible for me to move in when I get an apartment and pass it off to my parents down the line?

Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM

515 posts, read 530,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
actually there were alot of ppl there for other lotteries i asked.
When were you there Lexy?
I was there early even before my scheduled time and the majority were for 420 Kent.
The one Hispanic guy that was there asked someone who was signing in out loud what building they were there for and they said 420 Kent then he asked everyone else and a lot of them said same. He then said yeah we‘ve had a lot of 420 Kent today. Though he said that having a lot of people there for the same building didn’t mean it was bad.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:07 PM

155 posts, read 187,368 times
Still waiting on the viewing appointment.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,273,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballbob View Post
I'm on the wait list for a studio. Is it possible for me to move in when I get an apartment and pass it off to my parents down the line?
No

Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,297 times
I just got picked for a one bedroom! Is there any way to be moved to the two bedroom wait list? Just had a baby and would love for her to have her own room. Also, how do the home inspections work? Currently live with my parents and my mother is a hoarder..pretty sure I’ll get disqualified due to her hoarding when the home inspection starts so I don’t even think it’s worth getting my hopes up.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelymaa View Post
I just got picked for a one bedroom! Is there any way to be moved to the two bedroom wait list? Just had a baby and would love for her to have her own room. Also, how do the home inspections work? Currently live with my parents and my mother is a hoarder..pretty sure I’ll get disqualified due to her hoarding when the home inspection starts so I don’t even think it’s worth getting my hopes up.
Can an applicant request to have their application transferred to another size apartment before they move in to Penn South?

​Applicants on the waiting list are only eligible for the apartment size they originally applied for, unless the family composition has changed since the time of application, in which case they may request to be moved to the bottom of the list for a different sized apartment.
Will lottery applicants for the studio and one-bedroom apartments be allowed to upgrade to a larger apartment before they move in?

​The housing company will permit studio and one-bedroom lottery waiting list applicants who have become eligible for two-bedroom or three-bedroom apartments due to the birth of a child or children, to move to the end of the appropriate waiting lists. However, applicants are advised that internal transfers applicants take precedent over outside applicants. Given the high demand from existing residents of the co-op for larger apartments, external applicants may move into a studio or 1-bedroom apartment, and after three years they may ask to transfer internally to a larger apartment. In most scenarios, transferring internally to a 2-bedroom or 3-bedroom apartment takes less time than waiting for a two-bedroom or three-bedroom on the external waiting lists.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 11-30-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 02:51 PM

I know there are a lot of new people to this board that have questions, since being selected.
I suggest you first read the information to what you applied for.

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/764.pdf

Then you have the official Penn South website

https://www.pennsouth.coop/

Then specifically the FAQ page for people on the waiting list

https://www.pennsouth.coop/faq---inf...ing-lists.html

Lasted you have this wonderful thread. Which yes is quite long but if you applied, got selected and plan to move here when you number is up, I suggest you take an hour or so and read it from start to finish.
People going through the process and residents have been very helpful.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 11-30-2019 at 03:17 PM..

Old 11-30-2019, 03:05 PM

5 posts, read 4,297 times
Thanks for this info. I actually read the faqs page and about the last 60 pages of this forum. I was pregnant at the time of application and recently had my baby so I didn’t add her on the application. Looks like it’ll be better to stick with the 1 bedroom waiting list and request to move to a 2 bedroom after I move in (if that even happens) will have to work on my mothers hoarding issue until then!

Old 11-30-2019, 03:52 PM

726 posts, read 829,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
When were you there Lexy?
I was there early even before my scheduled time and the majority were for 420 Kent.
The one Hispanic guy that was there asked someone who was signing in out loud what building they were there for and they said 420 Kent then he asked everyone else and a lot of them said same. He then said yeah we‘ve had a lot of 420 Kent today. Though he said that having a lot of people there for the same building didn’t mean it was bad.
Oh my appt was at 12pm and when they took up upstairs the girl kept asking ppl what property they were there in regards to and I was hearing responses. Then I asked her and she told me most ppl weren’t there for 420 that day. Could’ve just been a time difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery